1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Marvel Superheroes

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Mathetais, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Did anyone play this game? Of all the RPG's I played, this was probably the most fun. You could pick any of the standard heroes from the Marvel Comics Multiverse, or you could create your own.

I remember fighting over who could play Wolverine or Thor. My friends and I also created some great villains.

Looking at the Wizards page, I see that they had to stop distributing it due to legal issues w/ Marvel. But does anyone have any memories? Would anyone be interested in an RC: Superhero thread???

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I don't know the ganme and even not the heroes you mean :)

But maybe for the older diehards like you, it could be interesting for RC ;)

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Wait, did that game come out for the computer, one of the consoles, or both???

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

It didn't come out on the computer . . . its an old Pen & Paper game from *ehem* the late '80s, early '90s.

Some of us "old die-hards" might remember it. Some of you young-uns might have read about the 80's in your ancient history classes. There was a thing called the Cold War going on, MTV actually played music videos, and cartoons like He-Man & Thundercats ruled!

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

lol :D Mat. Isn't it terrible when things from only the biginning of the nineties are considered old. That was hardley any time at all back. As to the Marvel Heroes game I remember seeing it but went for the Starwars one instead (I thought more people could relate to starwars). Someone did give me a copy of the DC Heroes game but I never had a chance to try that and I also never really liked any of the DC heroes anyway (what's the point of an invulnerable hero).

I can still remember trotting up to the village shop to pick up my weekly Spiderman comic though complete with stories about Thor and Ironman. My brother used to get the Hulk, which back then , had the original Xmen (pre Wolverine) and even Conan for a while (very adult for a kids comic). I also used to get the Fantastic Four for a while and can still relate to the Thing (thick, ugly and (smells) strong).

The good news is that they are releasing a Spideman game for the PC fairly soon and there are rumours of a range of Marvel hero games to come. Not to mention a Superhero game from Looking Glass sometime next year.

For more on the Spiderman game have a look at this link which also includes a link to the demo. http://www.maturegamer.net/News/NewsPages/Spider%20Man.html

6. sorvo Guest

I still have the game Mathetais. I'm glad to see another"old die-hard"is still around!

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Thank goodness! Someone else can relate to me saying that I want UNEARTHLY strength, Monsterous Agility and Incredible Endurance!

8. sorvo Guest

I can't relate that much because nobody ever wanted to play it,only D&D and Top Secret! I'll page through the rulebook and check out what you mean. Didn't open that box for a long time,what a stroll down comic book lane.Ranks for abilities,now I'm on the same page.

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited September 10, 2001).]

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Top Secret!!!

I totally forgot about that game!

What about Chill, Gamma World, CAR WARS, or Star Frontier?!?

10. sorvo Guest

Still got Star Frontiers too, another awesome game nobody wanted to play.I remember playing Car Wars but thats about it.

11. marcantony Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I remember the star frontier races got redone in one of the monstrous compedium loose indexes for 2E, the fiend folio I think

and I just bought the entire tsr marvel game set off someone in the US for $25

12. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] What a great thread!

I still have my copy of the game, along with the Avengers and the Children of the Atom (X-Men) Sourcebook! And yes, I also wanted to be Thor, 'til I saw Gladiator stats. Those Shi'ar are great.

Gladiator

F 75 Mn Health 725
    A 50 Am Karma 675
    S 100 Un
    E 500 Shift Z
    R 100 Un
    I 75 Mn
    P 500 Shift Z

... plus flight, energy beams, invulnerabilities, psychic reflection, etc. hehehe... imagine him in your party against Irenicus.:)

I also had the Star Frontiers Game, but I think I misplaced it when I was 12. I also remember Top Secret and Gamma World and Car Wars. Here's one more: remember that old wild west TSR RPG? Boot Hill, I think it was.

Anyway nice to here from, ehem... the "old timers" out there.

And yes, Thundercats (along with the other 80's cartoons) was great. I still have my Lion-O figure with his paw shield and the Sword of Omens still intact. ;)

And to all you "young-uns" out there, the 80's were a little bit more interesting and a lot more fun than the films Never Been Kissed (Drew Barrymore) or the Wedding Singer would suggest.

TRON Rules!

13. sorvo Guest

I remember playing Boot Hill a couple of times. No one I knew could get into any of the RPG'S like I did, I think that's why I started reading comic books! It isn't the fiend folio. I can't find the dralasites,vrusk and yazirians in there.

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited September 19, 2001).]

14. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

15. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I still have most of those games in a box in my basement -- next to all of my old comic books :) Always had a hard time getting into Marvel Superheroes, even though I was a comic fan, but Gamma World was good.

Did anyone ever play Palladium or Heroes Unlimited? Still have those ones kicking around as well. Probably why I couldn't get into the Marvel game much -- Heroes Unlimited had a much better system.

There was another like Boot Hill and Top Secret set in Chicago gangland in the '20s -- Gang Busters? Was that it?

16. sorvo Guest

Oh yeah, I remember hiding a tommy gun in a violin case once or twice.

17. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Yeah, I remember Marvel Superheroes. I'm still annoyed that, in the fight-to-the-death with Nightcrawler I had, the DM kept cheating so I wouldn't win.

Shazbot! (Now THERE's an 80s reference for you.)

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] eveningdrive - Gladiator had great stats, but to play him, you HAD to have mowhawk. UGH! :shame:

In our first Marvel campaign I let a buddy of mine play Wolverine, just this time - we'll share. Well, 4 years later he had never given the character up, had him tatooed on his shoulder, and was growing body-hair rapidly. Guess I'll have to stick with Longshot :holy:

19. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Heh. :heh: Not to mention blue skin. And let's not forget his loyalty to the Shi'ar ruler, whoever that was. A classic, tragic Lawful Neutral. :square:

Longshot's a good choice. Can't remember the mechanics of his probability manipulation though...

Mat my friend, you actually made me go through the old boxes in my closet and return to all these great stuff.
    Thanks man. :) :wave:

20. sorvo Guest

I thought I helped a little! I guess it dosen't matter. Hail Shralp from Ork!

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited September 22, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.