1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Marking Topics/Forums Read

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Marceror, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Does anyone know how to manually mark a topic and/or an entire forum as read? For some reason, after I've read a topic it maintains the status of having "new posts" for several days, even when there are no new posts.

For example, at the time of this posting there is a topic in the BG2 Throne of Bhaal forum - How do I change the font size of BG2 - that was last updated on 07/07/07 at 6:46AM (in my timezone) which still shows as having new posts. I distinctly remember reading that thread on 07/07/07, so I'm not sure why it's still showing that status. Every topic since also shows as having new post, though I've read all of those as well.

The thread prior to it - BG2 Fixpack v4 Released - which was last updated on 07/04/07 at 5:41PM displays as not having new posts, as is that case with all posts threads prior.

Even threads in Sorcerous Sundries that I've read are showing similar oddities, so this appears to be occurring, to some level or another, in all forums.

Sometimes it can be somewhat deceiving to open a forum and see what appears to be like 10 or more threads with new posts, when in reality there are only 1 or 2 with new posts.

I can't seem to find a "mark as read" option anywhere. Is there a way to manually do this, or something an admin can do to make the automated process more responsive?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Click on the "my profile & private messages" link and then the "Update New Post Indicators".

They should be updated when you leave the site and come back, so if that's not happening maybe the above won't help either.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks BTA. I tried what you suggested, and it marked all forums on the boards as read. As soon as I saw a new post I opened it, then killed my browser. When I reconnected, the previously read message was indeed marked read.

Hopefully using that option served to jump start my browser and/or my account (not sure if this is tracked server side or local), to start working properly again.

Appreciate the suggestion.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This is all local via cookies, so if you're having issues, the problem is on your end. Sometimes cookies get messed up by the browser and doing what BTA suggested straightens them out again. Other times you might need to clear your cookies for SP, which always works, but is not really necessary.

Keep in mind that until you close your browser and re-open it, post indicators on the boards will not change for posts already read. So if you open BoM in a tab(s), then read everything new and close all tabs and check again 5 hours later, you're still using the same browser session. Which means that you will see all the new posts made since you've checked last, but all those that you've already read will still show as new. So, to be the most up to date with the indicators, you need to close the browser after checking the boards before returning again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.