1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Magic Resistance

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by DarkSpider, Aug 25, 2002.

1. DarkSpider Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't be the only one having trouble figuring it out;

How exactly does Magic Resistance work?

What does it affect?

Obviously, I'm sure it affects spells, but can it only cancel spells, or negate effects. That is, will Magic Resistance protect a character caught in the blast radius of a fireball? Or will it only cancel spells directly targeting the resisting character, say...charm person or chromatic orb?

Does it affect Beholder eye attacks? A banshee's wail? Mind Flayer's abilities? I'm almost sure it doesn't do squat against breath weapons or magic weapons, but what about spell effects created by items (wands, etc)?

2. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] "Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't be the only one having trouble figuring it out;"
    Well, it's not exactly a question that floods the forum every month, so don't worry about it.

"How exactly does Magic Resistance work?"
    The percentage of MR determines the chance a harmfull spell will be resisted (In BGI it also works vs helpfull spells) Individual projectiles are tested individually, so with magic missile each missile will be tested to see if it hits the target. On a side note: Some spells effects ignore MR.

"What does it affect?"
    Harmfull spells. There are also scrolls of protection from magic which protect from all magic including spells which penetrate magic resistance like imprisonment.

"Will Magic Resistance protect a character caught in the blast radius of a fireball?"
    Yes

"Or will it only cancel spells directly targeting the resisting character, say...charm person or chromatic orb?"
    It will negate most spells like this

"Does it affect Beholder eye attacks?"
    Yes

"A banshee's wail?"
    Think so

"Mind Flayer's abilities?"
    Nope, all mind flayers spells/abilities ignore MR.

"I'm almost sure it doesn't do squat against breath weapons or magic weapons."
    When creating an item you can decide wether or not to let the weapon's abilities test MR, although most weapons don't.

"What about spell effects created by items (wands, etc)?"
    Most items are tested, but not all. Wand of cloudkill for example is bugged and therefor ignores MR. This also works on enemies.

3. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There are 2 kind of MR: Magic resistance and Magic Damage resistance. MR prevent you from spell's effect and MDR reduce spell's damage I think

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I almost never seen magic damage resistance(but like the sound of it :D ) beside Valygars armor.
    Anyone knows where such items could be found?? :confused:

5. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The Belt of Inertial Barrier has a 50% magic damage resistance on it. It may be bought in Trademeet after you've done the Dao quest.

6. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That's probably the only item with that ability everyone can use too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.