1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mad Mel

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] A blitzed Mel Gibson launched into an obscenity-laced tirade when he was busted on suspicion of drunken driving early yesterday, threatening an officer and making anti-Semitic and sexually abusive remarks, according to a police report.

It gets even more interesting... See here.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Wow. I'd heard the rumors about him being anti-Semitic, but I'd thought they were just the typical celebrity-bashing nonsense. And with what was in there being bad enough, I'd hate to think what else was in the report that they didn't want to release. :bad:

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I guess even celebrities are not immune to stupidity...

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Nah, Gnarff, when they get to the stage of having so much money they think they can get away with anything, they become especially vulnerable. I'd be willing to bet that there are more incidents than we get to hear about, too.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In vino veritas.

Sad, really.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Of course, it could have just been the alcohol talking. He might feel something against Jews that wasn't as bad as it seemed, the alcohol just escalated it.

Of course, then again, he could just be Anti-Semetic.

Shame, I really like(d?) him too.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Somehow I doubt it. The reports I've read said his blood alcohol was only .12, and the legal limit for driving under the influence is .08. As far as getting drunk is concerned, for someone Gibson's size who claims to have had a problem with alcoholism (meaning he's no stranger to being tipsy), a blood alcohol of .12 is NOTHING.

While Gibson was legally drunk, he wasn't near drunk enough to be so out of his senses as to be essentially speaking in tongues, as some are claiming. He was just drunk enough to lose all sense of propriety and inhibition, not change into the anti-semite incredible hulk. Even if he WAS that hammered, the typical result is not for people to change into something they're not, but to release their true personality and crank it up to 10. Guys with pent up rage hit people and start fights, depressed people cry like babies, the sexually frustrated screw anything that moves...and in some cases, bigots erupt.

If you ask me, he was furious and let loose his honesty. It saddens me, too, because I've always liked his movies.

Besides, after seeing "The Passion of the Christ," is it really a surprise to anyone that Mel Gibson clearly has something against the Jews?

8. Liriodelagua Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

So south park was right???

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The guys from South Park make incredibly astute observations more often than not, so - probably.

In my former life as a Bush conservative, I used to listen Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity on a daily basis. I remember one time Gibson was a guest on one of the two - I think it was Hannity. He was talking about a law they were passing in California that he was a very vocal opponant of. I can't remember the proposition or what it's aim was. But I do remember clearly listening in awe throughout the interview as Gibson was sounding and acting almost exactly like his character in "Conspiracy Theory." It was a little scary.

I think Gibson's been a nutbar for quite some time.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  11. Felinoid

Blood alcohol level is a percentage, so size has nothing to do with it. And recovered alcoholics (he quit a while ago, IIRC) are more susceptible to alcohol, not less.

Still, alcohol only lowers your inhibitions and makes you more likely to speak your mind, it doesn't make you say things you didn't think were true. Naturally he'll apologize for the remarks and say he didn't mean them, but I'm not buying it for a second.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Magpie, I can't disagree with you. There are certainly more incidents than we give a damn about...

13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Of course, you're right - I was thinking of the number of drinks rather than blood alcohol. But I disagree on the second part; yes, alcoholics are more susceptable to the effects of alcohol in a sense, especially in terms of dependency; but if anything it would take them more alcohol to get them drunk, not less - which is why they drink to such excess.

My original point still stands: a blood alcohol of .12 is nothing major, even in a casual drinker.

14. Felinoid

That applies to current alcoholics, not recovered alcoholics. Alcoholics do build up a resistance, but it needs to be maintained. If they go off the sauce for too long, it swings back the other way, making them more susceptible to the effects of alcohol than if they'd never touched a drop since birth.
    That depends on how you define major (and casual drinker, for that matter). Lowered inhibitions, impaired motor skills...yeah, it's not dead drunk, but it's still drunk.

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    But not drunk enough to start yelling "the f*cking jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" if you don't really believe it. Not by a long shot. A blood alcohol of .12 is happy, sloppy, "gimme the keys" drunk, that's about it. Not what I'd call major. I used to be in a fraternity - I KNOW major. Major has puked in my shoes.
    Well, if you say so - but I'm friends with a few recovering alcoholics, and they tell me if they ever started up again, it would still take quite a bit to get them drunk. Retriggering their dependence would happen on the first sip, of course - which is why they don't tempt themselves.

16. Felinoid

Most definitely. As I said before, I don't believe him for a second when he says he didn't mean those things. He's just trying to repair the damage his loosened tongue has done to his image, though I don't think many people will buy it. We're a drinking society, so most of us will know better.

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would just like to chime in to mention the fact that some visceral part of him feels this way about Jews in no way means he feels that way intellectually. We all have our gut reactions to different types of people. How we react to our own gut reactions and how much weight we give them is what makes us racist or not. Mr. Gibson may have said something anti-semitic. He may, on some level, have those thoughts or feelings. It does not, however, mean he actually agrees with the words that came out of his mouth on an intellectual level. That said, the anti-semitic behaviour really could have been the result of the booze doing the talking (but I also doubt it).

18. Felinoid

Intellectual feelings? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. :skeptic:

19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Or just a plain one, not an oxy-one.

Just because this man is a movie star one shouldn't expect him to be perfect... nor should we expect him to be such a bigoted idiot either.

Disappointing really. :rolleyes:

20. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Man, how is this even newsworthy?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.