1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Loughner to Get Life

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Jared Loughner accepted a plea deal for a life sentence. He is the gunman who shot Congresswoman Gabby Giffords along with a bunch of other people last year.

In the linked article below, the author describes this as a side-benefit of having a death penalty on the books. Most state prosecutors are willing to accept a guilty plea for a life sentence without the possibility of parole in exchange for not going to trial and not risking the death penalty. This will save the justice system at minimum several hundred thousand, if not a few millions dollars.

Not only is it way cheaper in court cost savings alone, it removes the killer from society for the rest of his life, thus accomplishing the same thing the death penalty would. However, you would never get such a plea deal if the death penalty was struck down. If the maximum penalty was life in prison, no defense lawyer would accept a plea deal for the maximum sentence - he'd take his chances at trial. Conversely, no prosecuting lawyer would accept anything less than life in prison, so there's no chance of a deal. Without the death penalty there would be no downside to going to trial.

The article used the recent Sandusky trial as a counter example. The reason Sandusky pleaded not guilty and went to trial is a plea deal didn't make sense. A plea deal for the minimum sentence on each count would have sent him to prison for 28 years. He went to trial and ended up with 45 years. But Sandusky is 67, so there was no incentive to take the plea deal, as either sentence is tantamount to life in prison, unless he plans on living beyond the age of 95.

The bottom line of the article was the suggestion that even if it is rarely implemented, there is some advantage to keeping the death penalty on the books, because it allows prosecution to bargain down to life in prison in a plea deal. Thoughts?

Full Story

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd say a second advantage of the death penalty is actually killing the murderer and allowing the family(ies) closure.

A third advantage: A dead person can't escape either. Another escape -- the Tison escape was one I remembered from my childhood.

The little boy was found with very little left of his head -- a close range shotgun blast. The teenage girl was found a quarter mile away, she'd been raped and shot -- she managed to crawl away and bled to death.

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Wasn't Loughner deemed to be insane to some degree? I'm surprised to hear the death penalty is even an issue for him.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't anyone who commits murder insane to some degree? To me insanity doesn't really matter in murder cases -- insane or not I don't want them back in society (and don't really care if they're executed).

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I would venture a guess that most murderers are not insane, if by insane we mean that they're suffering from some documentable psychosis as opposed to simple anger issues or the everyday need to eliminate business rivals or pocket a few extra dollars or having a bender sneak up on you during which you finally put paid to Uncle Jimmy or what have you. ;)

I suppose the practical difference is whether they go to prison forever and/or are executed, or whether they go to a psychiatric hospital forever. I don't think Loughner would have simply walked free even if he was found insane. He'd at least be on a short leash, like Hink-dog.

6. T2Bruno

Media:
    People go through those things every day and don't murder anyone. There's obviously something different in the psyche of a person willing to commit murder. Is that difference a form of insanity? It's certainly abnormal ... and my guess is most murderers are not even close to society's definition of normal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.