1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord Of The Rings game..

Discussion in 'Playground' started by DragonSlayer21, Apr 26, 2001.

1. [​IMG] How about a lord of the rings game in the same style as baldurs gate developed by Black Isle and released by Interplay.
    That would be the ultimate rpg...
    Just don't trust sierra to do it

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I appreciate what you're saying, but wouldn't the rigid storyline make for a very linear, rigid game. More of an adventure point and click than an RPG I fear?

Just a thought.

Done well, could be cracking.

3. Maybe you are right, but it is also a storyline all the way trough shadows of amn....

If they put in a couple of small side quests and a couple of shops it would be really interesting.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

There could be a ton of flexibility in a LOTR (Lord of the Rings) game. Middle Earth is vast! I'm re-reading the books right now, and consider this. They would never have run into Tom Bombadill or the Barrow Wrights if they hadn't gotten lost twice!

A good RPG could have lots of side-adventures drawn from the Simarillion, the Hobbit and LOTR. That way the character (hobbit, dwarf, elf or human) could go "off the story line" and into uncharted waters.

Realistically though, with the current legal troubles, etc that LOTR game is having, I'm doubting many other developers will jump on the bandwagon. :(

5. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Over the years there have been a few attempts at a LotR computer game....each one very crap unfortunately.

Many moons ago there was a strategy board game that was pretty good though.

6. [​IMG] A real shame that no one takes the initiative to make a great LOTR game.

After all it is one of the most read books of all times...

7. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you look over most games, you will find that there are VERY few good games that were modeled on a book, movie, TVshow etc. I think that games should be separated from the world of books etc. it just creates a whole bunch of crappy games, all the REALLY good games were made independant of any other things.

8. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Reverse it's the same, look at the BG books :)

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you read the headlines here, looks like it's in the making for an online game anyway.

I'll wait and see myself.

10. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31

Yep, I've heard that a LoTR game is being made. It will be c**p. Like the 'cartoon' film (or half-film) was. We all have our own vision of Tolkien's world and people and other people's visions of it/them just can't live up to expectations. Keep reading the books! :D

11. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have a Lord of the Rings game for Super Nintendo that was, in fact, made by Interplay. It was absolutely horrible. Everything was very slow, and it strayed from the storyline. I never made it out of the Barrow Downs, because of this key I never found. Funny, I don't recall any keys for anything in the Barrow Downs. I wrote it off as a loss a few years ago.

12. I agree Flotjsdale, the books are always better. But I still can't shake the idea of a really great Lord Of The Rings game.....

13. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31

A GOOD one would be nice, Dragonslayer... :)
    Not likely, though, sigh. :(
    I've just finished reading The Hobbit for about the 100th time. I'm gonna start on TLOTR again now! And it's not even as though there are no new good books sitting on the shelves waiting for me, either....!

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Only be careful that you don't spoil a good story.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.