1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for new players to join Karyst

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Our online gaming group is looking for several new players to join up with us. At the moment we have five players plus myself as DM. We play in a custom-built world called Karyst, semi-regularly on Saturdays from 1pm to about 4pm EST. That's -5 hours from Greenwich :)

The group is mostly all older folks ;) Please, no immature players or power-gamers - this group likes to roleplay a lot, and isn't into hack 'n' slash. Also, evil-aligned characters would not fit in with the personality of the party. We've been playing together for a year now, and have developed quite a good relationship with each other. I try to design adventures that have a mix of roleplaying, encounters, puzzles and elements of mystery.

You can check out some of our sessions on roleplay corner:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000153#000000
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000156#000000
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000161#000000
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000164#000000

And for some information on the world of Karyst, take a look at the karyst website . It's still a little rough, but growing.

So, if anyone is interested, just send me an email and I can give you more details.

[ November 17, 2002, 17:24: Message edited by: Gnolyn Lochbreaker ]

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

sounds interesting, but what books you use? :)

could use a "relaxing" game to play in, hehe. What's semi-regularly mean?

[ November 17, 2002, 21:41: Message edited by: Lokken ]

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sounds interesting, maybe.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Semi regularly means as often as we can get a quorum together. Sometimes we have stretches were we play every week, sometimes we have stretchs of barely once a month.

Ideally, we play weekly but 2-3 times a month is more common.

As for books, no one to my knowledge is using anything outside of the PHB for characters currently. Nobody has reached a point where prestige classing is a real option anyway. Personally, I don't own any of the supplemental materials, but Gnolyn might.

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

is there some certain class the group needs?

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Well, an arcane spellcaster of some sort (wizard, sorceror, or bard) would be probably be the most "useful" to the existing group, but don't feel constrained by that.

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

well, if anyone needs a wizard :D that's me, lol. I love wizzies, can't get 'nuff.

I'll gladly play one if needed be ;)

8. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Just to clarify, Karyst players don't need any books outside of the PHB because it's a unique world, like for example the Forgotten Realms is another unique world, only our illustrious leader has not yet published any books about the universe he's created; until then, consider the Karyst web site your main resource for maps, religions, history etc. It grows on a steady basis. And of course, Gnolyn can answer any world-related questions you might have.

We unfortunately seem to have lost our wizard (we miss you Invoker!) but the other characters currently in the party are all described on the Karyst web site and on earlier threads in Role Play Corner. We have a human merchant named Mr. Devious (played by Slappy), a grumpy but nice half-orc named Varg (played by Vormaerin), a nature-loving halfling named Kaildren (played by Lord Nocturne), a surprisingly fiesty halfling named Ratheof (played by Zorac), and a slightly wimpy dwarf priestess (played by me). A magic user would be fun but really there's room in the party for almost any new race/class.

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

yes I checked it out :) but was pondering if it was possible to use spells from say magic of faerun or other books like that? Not that it makes a big deal, just widens the possibilities.
    Anyways, playing a spellcasting class is my fave thing to do (since I basicly cannot play a class that cannot cast spells for than 5 minutes before I'm bored to death).

I was thinking of a Human or Grey Elf Wizard of Mael (perhaps a drow not believing in the way of its kin), having fled his/her way from the wastelands of Eldimoor, where hes/she perfected initial study in one of the ancient libraries before it was infested with.. insert monstrous race here. Not sure where it is he/she is fled to, but I guess that would be the party's current location :)

Gnolyn, send me that mail will ya!

[ November 19, 2002, 00:57: Message edited by: Lokken ]

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Lokken - looks like we both want to be arcane spellcasters. I was interested in joining Karyst as a male gnomsih sorcerer - sort of a black sheep of his kind. ;) :p

By the way, does Gnolyn use all the standard slew (no pun intendend) of monsters described in the Monster Manual, and all the magic items in the DMG, or are there certain other things new people have to know about?

[ November 19, 2002, 01:32: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

lol, well, I run a game with two wizards that simply wont die.. in combat or politics. They won't even take a beating!

Arcanists are cool ;)
    What gender is yours? :D :p ;)

I was thinking a Female elf Ranger/Wizard :)

[ November 19, 2002, 08:35: Message edited by: Lokken ]

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31

I'm still interested in returning, but doubt I can make it on Saturdays. Any possibility of a different day? Kahraman misses you greatly (with the exception of Zey, naturally).

13. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Hmm: Monsters so far have been fairly standard (hard to get to outre when everyone is still in the 1-4 level range). Magic Items are whatever the DM feels like, so far pretty standard stuff (for the same reason).

I'm sure we could survive two wizards.

Capstone:

Zey is long gone (Varg had issues with him, too). I'm not very hopeful that another day could be found, though. The timezone differences (we have players ranging from GMT+1 to GMT-10) makes the work week pretty problematic. And its a rare sunday when I work less than 10 hours, plus church. Too bad, it would be fun to have Kahraman back.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

14. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Aww man, I'm almost drooling to play, lol. Can I Gnolyn? Pleeease?

Why isn't there a pleading eyes smily? hehee

And a sorcerer + wizard can do excellently. Wizard can memorize those eventual use spells that a sorcerer don't quite feel like taking due to very limited spell selection.

/me hasn't been a player for so long!!!

[ November 19, 2002, 11:19: Message edited by: Lokken ]

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Now I really wanna play, how about a ranger or a druid, I got a bunch of them. I also have a bard, however most of my guys are elves.

16. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Tarsakh, I don't think Gnolyn got an email from you, please contact Gnolyn by email if you haven't already.

I can't speak for the DM on the subject of non-standard spells but my guess would be that if you are from somewhere exotic where different schools of magic might be common, and can roleplay that, I imagine he'd be flexible.

Note though that elves are very rare in this particular game-world for historical reasons. That's not to say you can't play one, just that you might have to spend a little more time coming up with a background story explaining how you got there. Gnolyn can give you more info on that if you are interested.

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Can just use stick to PHB spells to keep it simple :)
    Reading about the elves, it mentions it only in briefly history terms. Hopefully Gnolyn can sort it out, I got an idea though.

[ November 19, 2002, 21:58: Message edited by: Lokken ]

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] HA! After considerable searching, I believe I've found a place to go online Saturdays! /me pats himself on the back

Prepare yourselves for Kahraman's triumphant return!

It's nice to see that most of the originals are still here. I wish Justine could have stayed. :)

I'll drop you a line here directly, Gnolyn.

19. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

where do you play btw? Using mirc or something else?

20. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Wow! Nice to see all the interest :)

Sprite and Vormaerin seem to have answered most everyone's questions in my absence (thanks!). We play using the OpenRPG application. It's a free, downloadable piece of software that works pretty good - especially since it's free ;) You can find it here.

For material from the non-core, supplementary sources, well, it really depends. We don't use any of them, but nothing's been ruled out either. My feeling is to go on a case-by-case basis for most things such as spells and magic items. I don't have any of the supplementary resources, so people could just send me a spell description, or an item description.

As Vormaerin has pointed out, no one in the party is at a level to adopt a prestige class as of yet, so that question hasn't come up. Prestige classes are 'allowed', but need to be considered in the context of the world. Again, I would treat that on a case by case situation. The thing with prestige classes is that they are really best used to help fill out a game world. So most of the prestige classes listed in the DMG would fit fine into Karyst, but would need some subtle re-working of the descriptions and things - but the abilities and features would remain virtually untouched.

I've intentionally kept a lot of the history of Karyst open. One reason is that the major civilisations of Karyst are currently in the grips of a dark age - anything beyond a few hundred years is pretty fuzzy, if not lost and forgotten altogether. And, conveniently, vast portions of the elven population were killed some 300 years ago during a series of major civil wars - so those long-lived individuals are mostly gone.

The other reason it's left open is so that players have the opportunity to not only learn about the world as we play, but also to add their own input, either through character backgrounds or any suggestions they feel like making. I think it also makes it more interesting that way; unlike the FR, players don't have access to multitudes of information that their characters would not otherwise. That being said, there's a lot of gaps and missing pieces that I'm trying to fill in when I can.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.