1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for a New Monitor (Found One! Updated)

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I consider the Monitor to be the single greatest investment in any computer system. A clear, crisp, beautiful picture is something I simply can't go without. And if taken care of, a good monitor can last you for many years.

Case in point: back in 2000, I bought my first computer. It was a Pentium 2 300mhz with a 4gb hard drive, a TNT2 graphics card and a 19" Sony (dell) Trinitron monitor. Guess which piece of that sweet setup is still alive and kicking today. It's been one of the best monitors I've ever seen, especially in terms of picture quality.

However - she's on her last legs. It now takes over an hour for it to warm up to the point where the blacks on the screen don't look maroon. At least twice per gaming session, the screen "snaps" as I call it: it makes a loud cracking sound (much like an amplified version of the static electricity sound your finder makes when you touch a metal doorknob) and the screen blips out for a few seconds (like there was a blackout, but just in my monitor). The picture is also starting to get a little blurry, too.

This purchase is between 3 and 6 months off, but I wanted to start gathering opinions. I don't do nearly as much graphic design on my home computer these days (I have a $3,000 mac cinema display at work), but it's still a consideration. My main usage, naturally, will be gaming. This will also be my first flatscreen monitor. I'd like to stay around $300, but I'm willing to go as high as $380–400 for a monitor that is, as Barmy would say, "the Mutz Nutz." Also, as I alluded to earlier, LONGEVITY is one of my biggest concerns. Is it likely that I'll still have a high-quality picture in 8 years time?

Here's two of the top sellers at NewEgg at the moment.

Linky Uno

Linky Dos

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Since I've never really needed to go monitor shopping before, what are the things to look for? Contrast ratio, refresh rate, etc. Thanks.

BTA, where are you? :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Under 8ms response time is good for gaming, but in reality there isn't much difference - ghosting can never be truly eliminated with LCDs. Refresh rate is irrelevant with LCDs. Contrast ratio is good enough with most decent models, so it shouldn't be a concern.

One important thing to look out for is the stand... some Samsung models have a fixed stand which is more or less non-adjustable. I didn't realize I bought such a one until it was too late, so make sure that the stand is height and tilt-adjustable.

Oh, and don't forget to use the SP Newegg affiliate link above. ;)

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...I'm usually a Samsung backer, so I'm inclined to suggest #2, after all it is brighter, and has a faster response time. But if I were you, I'd spend some time looking as the top ranked LCD monitors at PC World, PC Magazine, and Maximum PC. By compairing all three charts, you can get a feel for what the best monitor is.

IIRC, the 22" screens have the same resolution as the 20.1" screens, so if you can spend less for the same resolution if you're willing to take a small size hit. :rolling:

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I would skip that Samsung LCD by a mile. It is quite infamous, because there are 4 different revisions (different panel makers for each) and 3 out 4 are bad. Only those manufactured by Samsung itself are good. I also prefer better pixel density over physical size, so I would either get a 20" or as the next step, 24".

Lastly, if I was buying a new LCD, I would skip those cheap TN-panels (both of the above) and get a nice LCD with a PVA-panel at least. Here is a good article explaining the different technologies (summary below): http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php.

• S-IPS panels are generally considered the best all around panel type, but they are more expensive and very few are made.
    • S-PVA/MVA panels offer better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN panels, have slightly worse response times than TN or S-IPS, offer the best contrast ratios, may suffer from color shifting or input lag and have higher availability than S-IPS panels.
    • TN panels are very cheap with fast response times but have inferior color reproduction, contrast ratios and viewing angles.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. Sorry DR, monitors are not my specialty. I still have a very old 19" CRT much like you described, only it still works fine, so I haven't looked into monitors for a very long time. :)

I've been thinking I might start looking when the LCDs with LED backlights or even OLED monitors are more mainstream... unless my monitor goes belly up sooner.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

That's a very nice monitor Chandos, it should be noted that it has the same number of pixels as the two Death Rabbit posted, but on a smaller physical screen. Hence it has the higher pixel density that Kitrax and Erod were talking about (a big plus!).

@Erod - in the article that you linked the author hinted that both S-IPS and S-PVA/MVA weren't particularly well suited to gaming. Conversely he said that "TN panels are the most widely used panel type as they are cheap and offer excellent response times, making them perfect for fast paced gaming." Since Death Rabbit's main use for the monitor will be gaming, wouldn't a TN be fine?

So far my pick would be the one Chandos linked - Viewsonic generally have a very good reputation for producing high quality gaming monitors, and that particular model has some pretty nice specs.

Lastly - specs and brand name are important, but certainly not everything. As Kitrax suggested I'd look at a few monitor "shoot-outs" in some (preferable gaming oriented) computer magazines (just browse your newsagent or library).

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Or you could just go directly to the said magazines' websites: PC World, PC Magazine, and Maximum PC. I couldn't find a "Top 10" acticle on the second two, but I also didn't look very hard...I'm not in the market for a new monitor, so I haven't been looking. :rolling:

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow - lots of great responses.

I'm definitely leaning towards Chandos pick, especially since he has yet to give me a bad recommendation. That said...

Take a look at this - The HP w2207. It's gotten top reviews in several of the sites listed. Every time I visit a Best Buy or Circuit City I always marvel at how crystal clear and bright the HP displays look, and since it's in my price range I think I may have found a winner. The only real downside I can see is they only offer a 1-year warranty, whereas everyone else seems to offer 3-year.

Thoughts? Any issues with HP I should know about? I'm now spooked on Samsung.

EDIT - I should also note that the 20" version of this monitor - the w2007, is about $80 less, so as per Kit's and Erod's suggestion I may opt for that once I see both in action. I'll swing by a few electronics stores today to compare.

As I'm sure you were all hoping, I'm definitely going to see these things in person before ordering online. ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DR - I looked at the HPs at BB as well. The displays looked very impressive, but at about $100.00 more than the Viewsonic, I decided that it wasn't worth it. Having looked at both, I feel they are comparable in quality, but the VS is a better value, at least IMO. Buying the VS through NE I got free shipping, a MI rebate and no tax.

EDIT: I was considering Samsung as well, but got spooked for the same reasons. But I saw that NE no longer has the free shipping on the VS unit. :(

11. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Well, if you are still going to for a TN-panel, you should take a look at some comprehensive reviews too, those on BeHardware are quite good. Here is the latest round-up of 22" LCDs from last month, worth a thorough read: http://www.behardware.com/articles/689-1/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-3rd-wave.html.

I would still get a decent PVA though, they are around 6 ms on best possible response times too, so it is not much behind a TN. Also one thing to remember is that even LCDs need to be adjusted properly to get the best out of them. Factory settings are usually not the best and can be quite far off in some cases.

12. Stu Gems: 20/31

I bought your monitor today Chandos! I ordered a new comp (well the parts - ill put it together myself) and yeah, of the dozen or so 22" monitors the store stocked it was one of the cheapest ($295AUD...which is good in Australia).

13. Chas Gems: 14/31

Tal, you might want to think about one of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16850000336

I used one on a 20" LCD and it did Ok but it did 'strain' a little under the weight. For my newest 24" LCD I had to upgrade to the next stronger mount. And even that one strains some but still works fine. The stronger one lists for $125 at Newegg but I am sure I only paid about $90 when I got mine. Looks like the prices went up. You probably can find one for a descent price on the ebay in your area.

I have my PC system mounted in a TV cart with wheels, so I can move it over to my easy chair. The Ergatron arm allows me to pull the monitor forward and down, so I can streach out while gaming. I just put the keyboard on my lap and have have a jury-rigged mouse pad next to me. Then I am a real couch potato but I am comfey. :cool:

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Stu - I hope that you like it. It's been a very good monitor for me thus far. Wait till you play Oblivion on it - it's just fantastic for widescreen games. ;)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Chas, thanks for the suggestion, but the price of a decent stand is nearly half the price of a new monitor. I've got this one where I want it now, though propped... I'll probably just sell it in a couple of years and get a new one with a decent stand.

16. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Chandos,

Check this out - Linky

It looks like the 24" version of what you have. I figure if I was willing to spend $350 for a 22" HP, I can spend just a bit more for more monitor. Whatcha think?

Tal - according to some user reviews of this monitor, the wanky stand issue you mentioned (thanks, by the way) seems to be especially true in the case of this new monitor. Though I'm sure if I'm careful it won't be too much of an issue...

EDIT - Erod, this also appears to be a non-TN panel. Confirm?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DR - It looks like a very nice monitor. And I think a 24" over a 20" display is going to be a much more desirable choice in the long run. Plus it has free shipping. I received my monitor in just 2 days from NE, and I paid no sales tax, which for us would be about an extra $24-28.00. I guess all these other "cheap" Texans have rubbed off on me. :)

18. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Ok, so I'm drooling over this monitor, and ready to buy it (through Tal's NewEgg link, of course :) ). But the fact that I am excited is giving me pause, because I'm sure there's a downside I'm overlooking. Let's compare the major differences in the two (the new 24", vs. Chandos's pick, both ViewSonic):

• 24" vs. 20" (the obvious size difference)
    • $360 vs. $250 (the obvious price difference)
    • The "Optiquest" series vs. the "Value" series of ViewSonic (perhaps the former is the lower tier?)
    • 800.1 vs. 1000.1 contrast ratio (will I even notice this difference?)
    • 1920 x 1200 vs. 1650 x 1050 max resolution
    • 400 cd/m2 vs 300 cd/m2 brightness (the former is better, I assume)
    • WUXGA vs. WSXGA+ display type (have no idea what these mean)
    • 1yr vs. 3yr warranty (yikes, that one sucks)

I should also note that both are energy-star compliant (I like this) and both have received excellent user reviews everywhere I've looked online (the chief complaint being that it doesn't come with a DVI cable and the stand is a little flimsy, but I can buy a $10 cable and I don't live on a boat, so no big woop).

However, I can't find any professional reviews on the 24" model to compare to. But it does seem comperable to most ViewSonic monitors of similar specs, which have all received great reviews, and ViewSonic appears to be the most trusted brand out there at the moment.

Any other thoughts or comments? Am I missing something? I should also note that I have an nVidia 7900GT graphics card, which I'm sure will be able to handle either one nicely, no?

By the way, thanks again everyone for the input. :beer: Hopefully everyone finds these kinds of threads beneficial, even if you're not currently in the market. I know I do.

EDIT: What do we think of this 24" Acer for $20 more?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  19. Stu Gems: 20/31

Might want to look this up first, the 7900GT is a good card, but 1920 x 1200 is a lot of pixles (31% more than 1650x1050).

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Good question, Stu. The max resolution of the 7900GT is 2560 x 1600. I should be ok. Don't know why I didn't think to just look that up before. :o

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.