1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Logitech Trackballs

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ragusa, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I am a trackball fan. After having used my trusty and faithful trackball for iirc at least six years, an eternity by computer standards, the strain has caused the mouse buttons to work unreliably -- alas, that was to be expected sooner or later. It did sterling sevice.

I dislike wireless mice, as I dislike mice in general. I dislike in particular the 'space for maneuvering' they require on the desk, and I loathe the cable-pulling on wired mice. Compare that to a stationary trackball - no cable-pulling by design, no maneuvering - which allows for very relaxed working, and gaming, for extended periods if neccessary. And I like the precision and speed of a trackball.

So clear to me is that I want as a replacement another trackball. The two models of choice for me:

Logitech Marble Mouse
    vs.
    Logitech TrackMan Wheel

Point is, I can't decide. Any experience among the SP crowd with either of them?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've never used a trackball exactly like the Marble Mouse. I have had a trackball like the Trackman Wheel where you use your thumb to move the mouse and your index/middle finger to click the buttons (the original Trackman Marble), and I have had one not too much unlike the Marble Mouse where you use your index/middle finger to move the mouse and your thumb to click most buttons and ring finger for one button (Trackman Marble FX).

I found both of them easy to use, but using my thumb to move the mouse was more quick and precise for me than index/middle finger.

I now have a Logitech G5 laser mouse which has adjustable weights and adjustable sensitivity, so you can fit it for your comfort specifics. I have gotten used to maximum sensitivity, and it only takes a half-inch to an inch to move full screen in any direction by bending and straightening my fingers only, so the lack of space and cord pull are moot. The precision of the laser mouse is phenominal; you might want to think about one because I used a trackball for many years before for the very reasons you mention.

3. Ragusa

Media:
    Heh, the ony that eventually broke down was the Trackman Marble FX. I would buy another one, if they were still available. Fabulous thing. Because it was late yesterday night, I was only able to look on Amazon.

Limiting my choice to the two was somewhat premature; I'll go and check shops today.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    While I hate trackballs in general, I've used both the modles listed above, as my work uses both kinds, and if I *have* to use the trackball, I prefer the TrackMan Wheel over the Marble Mouse. It just feels better than the Marble Mouse, but I'll take my wireless "normal" mouse any day. :p :rolling:

5. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

I swear by Logitech for control, and hanker for the efficiency of a trackball ever since an ol' Micro$oft plugin controller that was on my dad's Toshiba laptop...

I'm currently using your latter choice - the TrackMan Wheel. I bought it to replace an older, slightly wider TrackMan that got similarly 'erratic' in button response - mine's still behind the monitor and is about nine years old...

I had to adapt from the older to the newer 'slimmer' model because of one almost trivial difference: with the old, the mouse wheel was set in a stationary piece of casing, with the left and right buttons on either side of it, permitting one to cradle the case with the ball of the hand on the left side, middle finger over the wheel, and pinkie finger along the right edge of the case; it seemed more 'secure' to me, and I could even pick up and relocate the trackball if needed without pausing play.

With the newer controller, I find I have to 'float' my middle finger over the wheel, since it's now just sticking up between the two buttons, with no 'flat space', and index and ring fingers on the left and right buttons, respectively. It's not better or worse, just different. :)

But unless you prefer to use your left hand for 'mousing' duties, I'd go with the TrackMan over the Marble; it's just molded more ergonomically for what you're talking about.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    I had them both in my hands at the shop today. With my old Marble FX I moved the ball with my index and middle fingers, and clicked with by thimb and the other fingers, but then, the shape of the thing lent itself to that.

The Marble would also be controlled with index and middle finger and clicking would be done with thumb and the other fingers - but I find the shape is not so ergonomic.

The TrackMan has a better ergonomic shape in general, but I would have to get used to tracking with my thumb. But I would get a real scrollwheel. It's more expensive, too.

I got to sleep that over. In the meanwhile, I'll hate my mouse.

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

OH! If you're a finger-wheeler, you'll probably wanna go with the Marble - when you said 'Logitech trackball' I assumed you were used to the thumb-wheeling! :heh:

The decision is yours, but in that case, I might go with the Marble - it's a bit of a change to 'wheel' with completely different fingers...

8. Ragusa

Media:
    I decided in favour of the TrackMan Wheel, figuring out that thumbsteering is ok, and that wheel is convenient.
    A Logitech laser mouse looked nice, but I have to admit I am a reserved person in computer matters, so I insisted on a trackball ;)

I will still have an eye out and see if I can get a Trackman Marble FX. Maybe I'm lucky.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  10. Ragusa

Media:
    Huh, that thing is really fabulous, but that's just sick....

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Who in the right mind would pay $411 for a trackball?!?!? :eek:

This is all you really need. :thumb: :rolling:

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Finall, my trackman wheel arived, and I am trying to get used to it. A little bit silly, I always try to click with my thumb when I ought to use it to move the ball. Using the other fingers is just like with a mouse.

I will undergo an extensive text today, playing NWN-2. To get myself used to it :holy:

13. Ragusa

Media:
    I am getting used to it. Compared to my previous this one has a wheel which is a real advantage. Got used to the thumbsteering real quick, too.

14. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

My original trackball was a Trackman, pre-wheel. One of its mouse buttons totally failed, and I tried using a similar Microsoft trackball device, but I'd already started having occasional swelling of some tendons for my thumb, when I did a lot of mousing, and that one's shape made the symptom worse.

The Trackball Marble shape is excellent, and moving the ball with an index finger is nowhere near as likely to give me any carpal syndrome effects (and a new desk with a wider keyboard slider that has room for the trackball helps in that regard).

15. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Inspired by this thread (and by my incipient CTS), I'll be getting a Marble Mouse today.

I find the Trackman more ergonomic, but I've tried similar trackballs before, and my thumb gets too sore too quick to be of any good.

16. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Even with the Marble, when I get involved in anything requiring a great deal of left button clicking, or dragging, that (sometimes sore) spot at the base of my thumb close to my wrist can become somewhat irritated, but any trackball beats any mouse I've tried for keeping this sensistivity under better control.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.