1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Logged in at BoM - but still logged out?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Loreseeker, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    This is more of an annoying occasional occurrence then anything else, but here goes:

When I log in at BoM (I usually uncheck the Remember me option, but not always) I sometimes "time-out" meaning that I get asked to log in again. (I assume I get logged out automatically for not doing anything for a certain period of time... say 20mins? I could be wrong.)

Usually I do it and continue working normally, but on occasion, when I fill the log in screen, I get the "Thank you for logging in" message, then get returned to the same screen I just left (the one with the log in form).
    I try a few times (always the same) then I go back a few screens, log out manually and then log in again. This gets me to the BoM first page normally (as if I were logged in ok with my account) but if I try to see the New Posts I get asked to log in, which I am... From the BoM page, however, I can enter different subsections and threads, post, edit... whatever... but I can't retrieve New Posts. Logging out and restarting the browser does the trick sometimes, but on a few occasions it didn't work, so I simply stopped trying and returned later (then everything works).
    Like I said, most of the times this doesn't happen, and my logging in/out works just fine, but every once and a while it happens.

I'm rather interested in what's causing this. (Hopefully I wasn't too confusing with the explanation.)

So, guys, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? :)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's Tal's way of keeping out "undesireables".

:p

3. Loreseeker

Media:
    :shake: Nice to see you're back, Splunge.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since we store the login information in the database now I don't know to what extent (if at all) cookies are used for this any more, but this is very likely either an issue with your cookies or the browser. I recommend upgrading to the newest browser (if you're not already using a recent version of IE or FF) and checking your cookie settings to make sure that you either accept them globally, or put sorcerers.net on the list of sites you allow cookies from.

The best and the easiest option is just to leave "Remember Me" checked on any computer that only you use (or there isn't any danger of the account being used by someone else), because that keeps you logged in indefinitely. If it is unchecked, you will be logged out automatically after a certain period of inactivity as a security measure.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Cookies are used to some extent. I am always logged out when I clean out the cookies and other temporary Internet files, which I do regularly.

It should also be safe to check "Remember me" on a Windows machine used by several people, provided you are the only one using a particular Windows user account (for example if you log on to Windows with the "Loreseeker" account and your brother uses the same computer but with a different account).

6. Loreseeker

Media:
    :thanks: for the info guys. :)

I'll try to remember to leave the "Remember me" active.

(I usually uncheck it out of habit since I used to visit the BoM from the faculty network where that was practical. No need for it now that I'm home :D)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.