1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Linux - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Balle, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

hello there, i am considering switching to Linux(over Windows) on my old Work station once(the pc i am typing from now) once i got my labtop.

so i just wanted to hear if any of you have any experience with it, pros. and cons. in comparison to windows and so on, how difficult compitable material is to find(outside WINE wich allows regular Windows programs to run in linux, it's a long story)?

thx

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I'm just getting to grips with Linux myself, as part of my Computer Science course, and for one who had only used Windows previously, I initially had a few problems remembering how to do everything. Unlike Windows, Linux is run mainly via its command line, which means there's a big difference between the way they run. For the first few hours, it seems daunting. There are commands to remember for things you'd just right-click for in Windows. But soon you'll remember them.

It's also more secure. This is partly because most people use Windows, so that's what most viruses are written for. Also, since it's open source, any problems found can be quickly fixed. Another big thing: it's either free, or very low cost, especially when compared to Windows.

The number of different distributions means you're certain to be able to find a version to suit exactly what you want to do.

I can't say more than that, since I've only just started using it.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I've used Linux for 6 months, and I really liked it, especially the command-line, I used the Gnome environment and mainly worked with the gnome-terminal(the commandline) for everything from writing applications (in Vim) to listening to music.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on what you're going to use it for. If you want to use it as a workstation rather than for playing the widest variety of games, it's great because you can pretty much get anything you want that isn't included in your distribution for free over the internet.

For example, www.openoffice.org has a pretty slick package that's very compatible with the Windows Office suite.

If you're not very knowledgeable with computers, you may not want to go this route because even though the distributions have been getting easier and easier to use, they're still not as easy to use as Windows.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

For home, Linux perhaps isn't that good choise. In my case, it seems that they never seem to work like they should and the latest attempt, Ubuntu Linux 5.04, failed to install miserably. So in that sense it seems they still have a lot to do before they can step into the "big" markets. In school and office they are very good, though. ;)

6. Balle Gems: 19/31

okay then thx for all your posting, keep on if you want, and i was mostly gonna do it for fun, on my non gaming computer, to see if i could figure it out, i know a bit about mac aswell, and if i really liked linux, i would go for that on my laptop aswell.

i read about on the internernet, and i read it should be alot faster than windows, is that true? also game wise

7. Morgoth

Media:
    Well in my experience Linux always reacts faster to my input than Windows when it is busy.

8. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

If this is the case, just try it then. Maybe you will like it so much that you will forget about windows entirely :) .

As for what distribution to get, that is a bit more difficult. Maybe it would be wise to get one that is basically as easy to install/use as windows, perhaps Mandrake or SUSE. You just slam in the disc and click the mouse a few times.

[ October 13, 2005, 21:34: Message edited by: Erod ]

9. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Just forget about playing games on it. It's not worth the hassle. Otherwise, if you just want to poke around, you can have lots of fun :)

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, Windows 2000 Pro has worked just fine for me, and luckily I wasn't infected by the damn worm that affects only Win 2000.

Linux sounds interesting though, I'll likely give it a try when I'm done build the comp I'm working on. Time will tell.

11. Balle Gems: 19/31

why no games on it, i read that with WINE( a windows emulator) you could play any game, or programme made for windows

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    WINE isn't very good when it comes to ease of use. If you want to regularly game using WINE, you're going to give yourself far more headaches than it's worth trying to configure it to run properly.

As for command line, if you install SuSE, Mandrake or Ubuntu you're probably never going to have to use it. I don't really recommend SuSE, or Mandrake, as they can be really troublesome (conflicting dependencies - ugh). My experience with Kubuntu (an Ubuntu variant using KDE rather than Gnome) is flawless, and when it comes to easy interfaces it's far more intuitive and simple than Windows could ever dream to be. Not to mention it's a completely different world stability-wise.

My advice is to install both Windows and Linux on different partitions (or better yet, different hard drives if you have them). Game on one, work on the other.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not that I've tried it, but I would have to say you're dreaming if you think a high-performace game will work adequately through an emulator. If someone here has experience to the contrary, feel free to disabuse me of my opinion :)

14. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    My feeble knowledge got from asking the technician who fixes our computer is that Linux is far superior to windows

15. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Linux is superior to Windows when it comes to anything else than compatibility, gaming or ease of use.

16. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What about a dual boot-up so you can use Windows for Games and Linux for everything else?

17. Balle Gems: 19/31

yes well, i must admit i haven't thought of that, using two partitions, or hard drives, VERY good idea, but well, my old desktop is NOT for gaming, my labtop can handle the most games very well, it would be mostly for downloading

18. Morgoth

Media:
    2 hard drives, if you use 2 partitions on the same disk and you defrag your windows partition it's buh-bye Linux... ey Taza? :D

19. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Morgoth: whatever gave you that ideea? your Linux partition should be perfectly safe if you defragment the Windows one.

Anyhow, while installing in separate partitions might be advisable in certain cases (if you want to run Win and Linux on the same machine) it seems not to be the case here. You can also try to run Wine (Cedega) for emulation, but I would not count on it working. Some games (Neverwinter Nights, for example) have Linux versions, too. As for other software... typically there are open source variants of many applications you might use under Windows; again, how good they work is open to interpretation, but trying different stuff is half the fun... So I would encourage you to try it, but don't expect wonders :)

Actually, using Linux for web browsing is a good ideea, since Windows is prone to catching nasty stuff off the web.

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Actually it works just fine for both compatibility and ease of use. Though both, and particularly the latter, depend on which distribution you're getting.

Gaming is the only reason I still use Windows at all.

As far as I know (and have done) nothing you do in Windows can affect your Linux partition, since Windows doesn't know it exists anyway. Windows will either see it as "unknown" or "raw" (probably unknown), and will not mess with it unless you tell it to.

And as I said before, don't set your hopes high when it comes to Wine. It's a beast to configure (tried it once with StarCraft. Eventually managed to get the sound to work. Without any graphics), and (just like any emulator) it's very slow, meaning you can't run any high-end games. On top of that it doesn't emulate Direct3D, so games that use that API will be unplayably slow, because all the 3D rendering is done by the CPU and is emulated on top of it.

Of course if you're willing to stick to the (not so numerous till now) Windows games that run under Linux, and to Dos games emulated through DosBox ( :lol: ) you can get rid of Windows and game as much as you want.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.