1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lich makes the game crash

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shaitan, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

[​IMG] Hi there! I've got a problem with a Lich in the Crookes Crane. Well actually it's not the Lich who's the problem, but when I open the door to the lich and he greets me, the game crashes. That's it. Always the same problem no matter how many times I've reinstalled this wondrous game :mad:

I wonder if anyone experienced the same bug or maybe theres another fix somewhere (I've patched my game off course)? If not how many experiencepoints do one get from this guy? Has he got any nice stuff or questrelated things?

Regards

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Sounds like a dialog/script problem. Have you installed any mods?

3. Shaitan

Yes I have. A lot of tweaks etc. And UB. I've added most Weimar. But this bug occured even before I knew what "a mod" was ;) . So I guess it's from another script error? I'm able to fight and interact with the other liches in the game - just not this one. My guess is, that it's really not involved in any quest related stuff, but can't be sure.

Edit: Nice stone btw

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    He has lots of wands and a not so good rod(it is deadly for the user as well, but if you use RingofHumanInfluence cheese you can get your CHA to 25! Can be considered cheating but not quite so! :D ) BUT in his chest there is the Daystar, nightmare of any undead(especially useful against swarms of vampires).

I do not know the cause, try uninstalling mods if you have the patience, or try CTRL+Y ing him before he talks.

His script is really buggy, have all of your party go upstairs of the Crooked Crane(where Trivo and someone is) and enter LichRoom ONLY yourself, there is a bug that he will completely ignore you! Try it and see, it may not work though.(worked for me for some reason?)

OR try PotectionfromUndead to prevent him from seeing you and interacting you and kill him quickly? Try it too it MAY work.

5. Shaitan

[​IMG] Now, I tried uninstalling everything and installing only SoA and the patch, and it still crash my game. Well I think I have to surrender to this bug and use the SK-way ( :doh: ) to get the Daystar, might be something I can use. Does anybody remember is it 2ok you get from a Lich?

6. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

A lich is worth 22.000 xp.
    And in case you want to clua/SK other noteworthy items of this lich in, iirc, he has the Rod of Terror, Rod of Resurrection, Ring of Invisibilty and a Wand of Cloudkill on him.

7. Shaitan

Ok, thanks for the response. I guess I will have to cheat with SK, though it isn't real cheating :p

8. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If it is happening with that area, it sounds like your area files for that map might be corrupted from the CDs or something.

9. Shaitan

It's not likely, since I've bought my first BG2 when it came to the shops years ago, and a brand new copy last month via Amazon in the UK. Both with the same bug. So it's not because mods corrupting a script and it's not because the original game CD is corrupted. I'm running my game on my good old PC running win 98 2. edition. Anyway I got no clue to whats wrong :o

10. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Happening with two separate copies is very odd, then... I'm not sure what's up. Hmm.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It has to be a corrupted file somewhere.

I have experienced bugs where UB corrupted a file or two, but AFAIK they were fixed a while back.

12. Shaitan

I understand and thought the same at first. But the chances of that are small, since the installation - as stated before - has been tried with 2 different originals of this magnificent game. Also I don't think it's because of the mods I've installed, since the problem started before I knew what a "mod" was.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

That's the only thing that it could be, unless you've been playing around with ShadowKeeper or the console.

14. Malarkey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Did you make sure to delete the game directory in the Program Files after uninstalling the game? Any mods installed will stay in the installation directory after uninstalling the game. Also, are you running the patch from biowares site, along with the baldurdash fixpack from baldurdash.org? Those should fix most of the problems you may be encountering. Windows 98se might even be to blame, but I can't comment on that since I haven't played on that OS. If none of the above works, then maybe try reinstalling win98. Make sure you have the latest video card drivers, along with the latest directx installed as well. Might not be the cause of things, but it wouldn't hurt either.

15. Shaitan

Yup! No traces left from last time. As you I to suspect win98SE to be the cause of the illness :p .

I dare not reinstall win 98 se, and it's not that big problem, but it would have been a serious problem if the lich had some questrelated stuff.

16. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

the lich also carry's angurval!

17. Shaitan

Then my question is: What is "Angurval"

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Angurvadal is a very powerful long sword, but I don't think it shows up until ToB, so I shall say no more.

What Balle is probably talking about is the Daystar (long sword) in the chest behind the lich. See Silverstar's spoiler post for details.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.