1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Letting your kid on SP

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Silvery, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hiya

I was telling my blokey the other day that when my son is old enough, I would have no problem with him posting on the BoM or going in to chat in the FAI.

The thing is, everyone on here is really friendly and we all try to be good when we know there's younger people around. I wouldn't let him go on any other chat rooms or anything!

So....good parenting move or bad?

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well, they'll certainly learn stuff... :p

I would personally recommend against letting him go on the chatrooms until he's...I dunno, 14, 15. Posting on the forums is probably safer (mostly because all the argument's contained in the AoDA). It really depends on the age you define as "old enough". There's certainly some people who post more risque stuff from time to time, too.

As for trying to be good when there's younger people around - well, there's been no evidence of that because there haven't been any really young people around before. Most of us teens in the chatroom grew up together (aww, how soppy), so it was a consistently shifting age group (I can think of myself, Octy, Aik, CJ and Slith off the top of my head). There hasn't really been a "second generation" here, so to speak.

Though it'll be interesting one day, perhaps, when my little Deathmagelings start posting and have flame wars with Octalots and Taluntoids. :)

Oh, and if you're having him go the chatrooms, steer him away from Sorvo. He corrupted me. :p

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think i'll keep him away from Tak as well!

I was think about 14/15 age wise

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    That's the age when I became active on SP and the chatrooms, so I don't see why not... (OTOH, I'm probably a bad role model :p)

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yeah, just look at DM. An exemplary young pirate and all because of being here since 15. :shake: :p

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Silvery: When your son starts going on the net, I'd say BoM is one of the best and safest "grown-up" places to begin. :) As for age, the boy's parents are probably the best judges of when he's old enough but I'd say around 12 or 13 as a general rule for most of the boards. Keep him out of the Alleys a couple of years more.

Or with their father. :p

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Deathmage... Join Date: Sep 2001... Current Age: 19... Registration Age: 12

That's actually pretty impressive, not sure I'd want a kid reading some of this at that age (e.g. Barmy's gem of a thread on "private" areas :p), but hey... they get worse in school... fo' sho'!

I'd say make the kid figure it out on his own; if he is into this kind of stuff he should find SP eventually. Though I am of course not accounting for the fact that he probably already knows because of his mother. In which case I say something about age 15, young enough to be inspired here (!) and old enough to have some maturity (I hope).

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I admit I find the Somalian incident quite dramatically interesting. :p

Imagine!
    "You go to bed this instant, young man!" "No way! I'm going to post on RBP #926 some more! In fact, I'm going to start a Poll: 'Is My Dad DM A Doodlehead?' !"

I actually joined a few days before 911. My activities were restricted to the BG2 forums for quite some time...
    I only became prominent in the forums when I began chatroom activities. Why do you think I've only got ~1400 posts? :p

9. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Montresor - BoM is one of the nicest places to be on the net.

Tbh, I have never considered joining a forum/chatroom before I found SP (maybe I'm picky, but I tend to be careful about where/how I spend my time, and have no desire to waste it on rude or pointless places) and now I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon.

This place is... polite. And safe. Decent. A proof that people can communicate to each other in a mature, civilised way - and that there is no topic too odd not to be babbled about. :p
    (There were some err... avoidable threads *looks Barmy's way* but for me they were exceptions confirming the rule.)

So yeah, were I a parent right now, I would let my kid join as soon as it can read/type coherently... and I manage to explain to it to avoid the Alleys until it grows fangs :p .

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ok, this is getting old, but what have you been taking Lore and where can I get some?

..pretty soon no-one's going to believe that you're not using anything if this keeps going on :p

But seriously, I'm not even bothering to find any other forums than this. Especially the forums that there is in my native language contain far too many crazies and idiots.

The moderators do wonderful work in here and the community is just wonderful. Honestly this is the only place I've found (although I haven't searched that extensively) in which you can exchange opinions with the widest variety of people, who are generally...well at least not completely insane :p and definitely not idiots (although, perhaps I should humbly exclude myself) :banana:

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

@Iku-Turso: There are plenty of places with a wide-variety of people and relative lack of idiots. These places, however, are very rarely child-safe or child-accepting.

@Silvery: BoM is fine for a child of any age, IMO, just keep him/her away from posting in AoDA/AoLS.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    This, I would say, is an important point. Really, how often do you see a post here that won't have already been topped by a discussion at school? Even BA's seemingly infamous thread ideas are not too far from what said child will have already come into contact with, regardless of whether their parent realises this or not.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am unimpressed with this unprovoked defamation of my impeccable character by various members of this board.

On topic... yeah, let your kids on. I'll take them under my wing.

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I suppose that's one way of getting parents to ban their offspring from frequenting these boards. :p

15. Silvery

Media:
    My son is daft enough at the age of 16 months without you getting your hands on him!!

Seriously though, my thinking is that I don't want to stop him going on-line otherwise he'll just hide what he's doing. At least on here I know he won't get talking to a load of 'unsafe' people (didn't want to say weirdos coz i know a lot of us already are!).

This site is a perfect place for kids to go on-line in a good environment. With all the awful things you hear, horrer stories about kids meeting people in the 'real world', I think that this is the only way to stop me going mental when Ashley hits his teen years!

Also, I've loved the time I've spent on here, you guys are all fab x

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Awesome. :D

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks for the compliments, we all do our best to keep this place suitable for any young members as well. New members signing up need to be 13 or older in order to join, though we could make exceptions there with a parent or legal guardian's permission. But I think that 13 is old enough for anything that they may encounter here (except various AoDA/AoLS topics, which would likely be over their heads anyway).

To be honest, as others have said, kids today will get introduced to everything from sex to drugs in schools well before the age of 13 (depressing, but that's the reality) and very likely in a much less informed way than around here. So I don't really believe in a total blackout of such topics for younger people, because that just makes them seek information about it elsewhere, possibly at questionable sources.

Also, every informed parent should have one form of parental control software or another installed on a child's computer. You can find literally everything online and the majority of it is definitely not suitable for non-adults. Many uneducated parents abandon their children to the unrestricted Internet at a young age, which can have disastrous consequences on their sociological, psychological and sexual development.

So, allowing children on the Internet at a relatively young age - definitely yes, because they'll be dealing with it all their lives. But definitely NOT without supervision and the help of content control software.

18. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    You missed the second part of my sentence :p .

And again, nothing. Not a thing. Not even coffee.
    (Although I have been told to possess the emotional intelligence of a three year old... maybe that's tripping illegal substances sensors :p )

IMO, I'm Way Too Childlish for most of RL, as it is today.

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Sorry 'bout your damn luck, SP, you're getting no second generation spamm... err, posters from me.

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :lol:

I joined in 2001, April 20th, so I was 12.
    And just look at me now! :p

SP is an amazing site though, I've loved my time here and enjoyed speaking to the people here. I am more active on the chatrooms than on the forums nowadays (When I can get in) and have found it to be a sheltered harbour amongst the vast internet seas of inappropriateness.

Saying that, I've been gaming online with people of varying ages from 9 to 70 from when I was eight and my friend first got internet. Soon after I got a computer, then internet a year after. Was exposed to quite a lot at once :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.