1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Legality of making backup copies of game disks

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 27, 2005.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have a question that may be considered inappporiate for the boards here. If so, I apologise.

Since the time back in the days of the Apple II, I've made it a point to always play on backup copies of game disks for when accidents happen. I've dropped, scratched, and stepped on to know it's a question of when, not if.

Some of the games I have are copy protected on some of the disks, and I'm unable to copy them. One example is Icewind Dale II disc 1 (I think, it might be two, I haven't tried in a while), and Baldur's Gate II disc 2.

A friend of mine showed me a program called Bit Torrent and that I could find cracked warez copies of those game disks. My question is, is it ok legally and ethically for me to obtain such an image file for the game disks that I was unable to copy and use it to make a backup CD? That used to be ok a long time ago, and I even own a program called "Copy II Plus" which was a commercial product for the purpose of copying copy protected disks on the Apple II. However, I heard something about the Digital Mellenium COpyright Act making such a program illegal.
    Some of the games in question, such as Baldur's Gate II I'm not the origional buyer of, but I do legally own the origional discs (though not always the manuals or boxes, which were lost). I simply want to play on copies so that if something happens to the CD-which is more likely than I care to admit-I haven't lost the abliity to play the games. After all, they require you to have the CDs available to play them.

Also to note, I don't plan on downloading all the discs, just the copy protected ones.

[ October 28, 2005, 22:11: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ethically yes, legally depends. How so?

It's perfectly legal to make back-up copies. It's a right. Therefore, in a strict interpretation of this right, copy protection should be illegal.

You see... but it's bad for you to violate corporate rights, while it's perfectly OK for corporations to violate your rights. Therefore, going around copy protection is starting to be illegal now because lawmakers, enforcers and judges are starting to eat from corporate hand. Ideally, if you break or use up your old disks, you should buy a new copy of the game. Oh, pardon, a new licence. :rolleyes:

If you have lost your manuals and CD-keys and all such, it may already be hard even with original disks. If you download warez and can't prove that your original disks are original, you may find yourself in even more of a trouble if they get to you. Somehow, they no longer have to prove you have illegal copies but they are allowed to start off from a blanket prohibition to use the game unless licenced, therefore it's up to you to prove it's legal, in the most extreme cases.

Can't help you more because details differ from country to country and probably from state to state in the US, too.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Glad I checked back in my insomnia.

I should clarify that I'm in the United States, and in Illinois. I thought the mention of the Digital millenium copyright act implied the U.S.

The reason I mentioned I wasn't the origional owner is because quite often after having a game for a few years, I find that I don't play it much. I often trade the disks and stuff to a friend who gives me one of his own. With any other product from books to CDs to video tapes, this is fine, but I've heard stuff about software LICENSES not being transferrable (moslty in reguards to MicroSoft products) even if you now own the origionals. Mind you, this practice used to be perfectly acceptable and is IMHO no different from swapping books or lending them, something that I also do.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Warez: no. Copying it yourself from your own disc: specifically mentioned as okay. I personally use just such backup discs to play the game, which keeps my original game discs safe. If the backup blows, I can just make another one. But downloading it from somewhere else is not okay. And I have copied BGII disc 2 (NOT copy-protected), so maybe you should try them again.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Depends of your point of view:

If you support RIAA/MPAA/etc, then you will view all copies as illegal. End of discussion, all related topics banned, and all critisizers are banned/sued too.

OR:

If you are a innocent little consumer like the rest of us, you understand that "what they don't know, can't hurt." Thus you don't need to worry about law. Do as you see fit.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Speaking from a strictly legal standard, you are permitted to make one and only one backup copy of a software program.

Licenses are transferrable. Your friend does have to destroy every copy that he has of the program, however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.