1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Learning to speak Spanish

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

So, while chatting with a longtime friend of mine a couple of days ago, it seems he'd like to visit either Puerto Rico and/or Mexico, maybe next summer he said. I've decided to tag along - I always wanted to see IWA and AAA live - maybe even bring back replica belts as a memento of the trips.

Now, I know that we could manage okay with my mastery of English. However, Puerto Rico and Mexico are two places where Spanish is dominant.

This brings me to the point: I have a natural talent for languages (seeing how fast and easily I learned english), so I thought I'd exploit it and learn Spanish, which definitively would make things easier while down in Puerto Rico/Mexico.

My question is this, fellow SPers: I'm looking for some good online resources to learn Spanish. All the better if it's free.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What's your nationality DotW? I thought you were American?

Can't really help you with the online sources as I didn't use them but I started taking my Spanish Lessons in Instituto Cervantes and the textbook we used at the start was called Nuevo Ven. Quite user-friendly for beginners.

3. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

http://www.studyspanish.com/tutorial.htm
    Traditional topic-based lessons you can study and then test yourself on, all online. Has a pitch for lessons you pay for but you don't need them if you're good with languages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/
    Fun interactive beginner's lessons, also with test-yourself feature.

http://spanish.about.com/
    More information than you'll probably want or need but you can get weekly lessons emailed to you for a few weeks, as well as get on their "word of the day" and "phrase of the day" list; the latter is a fun way to figure out what proverbs or quotations say, since you get the phrase one day and the translation the next with the new phrase.

http://www.byki.com/
    Free download of "Before You Know It," a flashcard type vocabulary program that pronounces the words for you as well. It is a very effective learning tool. You'll have to pay for the full program if you want to be able to add your own vocabulary lists or share lists with friends, but the free program is not a trial but a permanent program and you can continue to download lists others post and add them to yours - I think.

I have personally used all these sites and can recommend them. The hardest thing to practice online is speaking - for that it might be worth investing in the least expensive cassette or CD Spanish learning resource you can find, just so you can hear some pronunciations. They also vary wildly in quality, but if you're good with languages and only need to hear the pronunciation almost any of them will do.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

If you have a library near you, you might be able to find CDs that teach you spanish... I rented some this summer for Japanese, but never got around to using them.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I heard that one more times than I can count... but be that as it may, no, I'm not an American. I'm Canadian, but with a twist - French-Canadian. Therefore, French is my native language. When we begun learning English at school, I was bored out of my skull because it, well, it's hard to say that without sounding like a fathead, but it came naturally.

But anyway... I will check out the resources you've posted when I have some free time on my hands -- I'm still at work fixing the damn server. (Yeah, it's my first day and they let me mess around with the server -- either they REALLY trust me or they're idiots.)

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Heya DoTW... I can probably help you with the phrases you won't learn online :D . I probably won't post them here though.

If you are interested in the etiquette I could give you some hints as well. As far as learning spanish, it should be a snap for you because it is a lot closer to french than english is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.