1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Last Week's Poll's Results

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Sep 7, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Sorcerer)

What we asked:

Q: How many Neverwinter Nights modules have you downloaded and played thus far?
    (284 votes total)

None (123) 44%
    1-5 (77) 27%
    6-10 (39) 14%
    More than 25 (21) 7%
    11-15 (15) 5%
    16-20 (5) 2%
    21-25 (4) 1%

Although the poll results were pretty poor in terms of how many people voted, they give a very clear picture of Neverwinter Nights' main problem.

44% of people who voted in the poll have not downloaded and played a single custom module thus far, which is probably a good indicator that they will not play (m)any in the future either. For a game that more or less bases its existence on fan-created content, this is not good.
    I suppose there are various reasons for this. First and probably foremost is the official campaign which, frankly, leaves a lot to be desired. It seems that despite the popular opinion, after finishing it most people do not seek new (better) modules on the Internet. Either they turn to playing online, or drop Neverwinter Nights completely. Only a minority of people bother to look for new modules to play.

Neverwinter Nights' game model ultimately fails (in the eyes of non-hardcore fans) because gamers today are not used to buying a game, and then having to wait for fan-created content to surface AND having to look for it and download it. I also doubt that this model will ever work without serious modifications. Far too many people only play the single player campaign and/or are not keen on having to look for new material to play so quickly. And although not complicated, the process of finding and installing new modules is still not simple enough for most casual players. And when something like this is not as simple as clicking a button in the game and getting a new module to play, it does not happen. (Not with a majority of gamers, anyway.)

The second largest group of people who voted in our poll (27%) have played 1-5 new modules. Though not particularly bad, this is a very low number compared to the amount of modules available for download online.

14% of poll participants played 6-10 modules, which I expect is a number of played modules thus far that would have to prevail in this poll to show that NWN's system works well. It obviously does not.

7% of those who voted have played over 25 modules, which is certainly quite an achievement, showing that NWN has a comparatively large base of hardcore fans who find and play new modules regularly.

5% of poll participants have played 11-15 new modules thus far, which is also a pretty nice figure.

Finally, 3% of people who voted (combined) have played 16-25 modules.

- Current Poll
    - Previous Polls

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  2. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

(Originally posted by Gopher)

I must admit, I was one of the 4 people (1%) who said they had played over 25 modules. And from my experienec with them all, I agree with you when you say that NWN has a major problem with this.
    One thing I feel I must add, is that about half of all modules are hardly even worth playing, and I think this seriously deters players.

Currently I am creating a module, with a massive amount of Ideas, one to (hopefully) surpass the SinglePlayer campaign, (in Quality not Size), and the ideas can be found at: http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000073

Hopefully, with the amount of support and help I am recieveing from fellow SP members, this will hopefully be a module which people will *want* to download.

Thanks for listening.

3. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

(Originally posted by Bradley)

If they found this site to vote then surely they'd be able to find to the Bioware website which has a clear link to the top rated modules to download?

4. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

(Originally posted by DRSW)

I haven't downloaded many modules eather. The fact it that their strait foward and have no story line.

I'm working on a module myself right now. It's getting big but the differince is that there's a story line and plot. I've been looking at what people at SP have been saying and I hope that I can creat a module that keeps people on there toes.

I also think that people are tired of taking on the main roll in the game and being the center of attention. It need's to change.

5. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

Bradley, that was not my point... Anyone can hit a site and click on the poll button, even the laziest and technically unsavvy people can manage that.

On the other hand, getting a custom module involves this: first finding a site which has them. Second, picking a module they'd like to play... if they look at the selection of over 1100+ at NWVault, they might give up just there. But supposing they start looking, sifting through them (unless they go by the top ones), and find one they like. Then they have to download it. More than a fair share of people who download the zip files doesn't know how to unzip them. (Hey, I get people mailing me what zip files are all the time.) If they're in .rar, about 50% mught actually have a clue they're archive files, the rest will just stare blank. And let's say that they DO manage to unzip them, there's still the matter of finding the proper directory to put them in.

FINALLY, after all that's done too, they can play a new module.

Now, for you and me this whole thing might take a few minutes. But to a lot of people it's just too much bother. Many of them fall in the above 44%.

6. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

(Originally posted by BigStick)

I'm not sure how many other people are in the same boat that I am, but I haven't downloaded and played any other modules simply because I have not yet finished the SP campaign.

In anticipation of that day, I have downloaded some other modules that are just waiting for my attention. I thought at the time that I voted that there should have been a choice for how many people have dl'd but not yet played modules.

Just my 2 cp.

7. NewsPro Gems: 30/31

Hmm, good point. Though according to my research, the vast majority of people have finished the SP campaign already.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.