1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kyrgyzistan Uprising

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Evidently, the Kyrgyz president has resigned amidst mass protests. You can read about it here.

The thing I find the most enlightening is not the story itself, but rather by the apparant ethnicity of the protesters. I always assumed that the people of Kyrgyzistan would be mid-eastern looking. They actually look more similar to people of Tibet or Mongonlia - kind of quasi-far-eastern decent. Does anyone happen to know where this racial/ethnic divide takes place?

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well, actually, that's because Kyrgyzistan borders with Tibet :)

The muslim conquest stopped near Lake Aral beyond it's still largely Mongolian.
    But because the Muslim religion was more advanced than the shamanism of the Central tribes, the Islam continued without force, and that's why (I think, I don't study these things) that Kyrgyzistan is a muslim nation and still kept it's Mongolian ethnicity(is that a word?).

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The Kyrgiz revolution, the 'tulip revolution', or was it the 'pink revolution'? I just can't remember atm.

Anyway, the revolution in backward Kyrgiztan was because of 'rigged' elections.

Ironically, the newly-installed "President," Kurmanbek Bakiyev, now recognized the Parliament elected under allegedly fraudulent conditions.

If outrage over election fraud was the motive, why not new elections under international and neutral observation, I wonder. But probably that's beside the point anyway :rolleyes:

This is not a democracy. This is just a crowd. - good article.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am starting to wonder if we are going to see every loser in an election in less stable countries cry foul and march to the streets in case of a loss?

5. Ragusa

Media:
    Joa,
    till now we had the PR-savvy 'orange', 'cedar', 'tulip' and 'rose' revolutions.

I really fear the problem is that they will run out of names eventually. Horrors. Just imagine what will happen when the third 'rose revolution' has taken place, this time in Tschardomyrlikutschistan ... or the second 'lilac revolution' of Bashardinski-Nebolusk.

How about a 'red revolution' in Russia (with ribbons, lot's of them, not to be confused with a AIDS charity event) ... not to mention a 'green revolution' in Teheran, oops, iirc they both had them already when they kicked out the czar and shah ...

I wonder: Are revolutions copyrighted? Will Russia try to fine America for stealing a 'red revolution' for use in some backwater country that happens to be of strategic interest? Or how about that:

"Pink revolution is a copyrighted trademark of Hill & Knowlton"

The point on the plus side is that people won't notice :evil: (sorry, no pun, but the: Ooh, that people in central Asia look ... Asian ... well, is sooo illustrating) and claq for democracy anyway, no matter if an old thug is just replaced by a better dressed one.
    In fact, it might well be that the short general attention span comes to the rescue and allows to recycle revolution names in the near future.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've read this one is referred to as the "lemon revolution". And no, I have no idea why. :shake:

But hey, revolutions are all the rage lately, who can blame all the countries competing for attention having a special name for theirs. :D

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well Akajev was not exactly a very democratic ruler and he had near dictatoric power in Kyrgyzistan which he abused quite often. Additionally he held fast to the soviet habits of corruption. Seeing him gone is a good thing in my opinion even if he was elected in a "fairly" democratic election. Kyrgyzistan now has the chance to be an example for the neighbouring countries of Uzbekistan, Turkemistan and Tadjekistan(sp?) which all are under clear dictatorships. I just hope they won't throw that chance away.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    From that article I linked
    As I see it, it is just about the egos of the politicos and some money, and I think the show will go on as usual. Not exactly a 'bright future'.

No pun intended, but I find the 'beacon of democracy' and 'shiny example' stuff as unconvincing from your mouth, as when it comes from Bush, Cheney, Rice or Wolfowitz.

Politics aren't about altruism. They have never been, and probably never will be.

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It is a bright future compared to Kyrgyzistan's neighbours. Besides democracy is not about the politicians it's about the people. If the people feel cheated there is nothing that will stop this from happening again. Bakiyev is certainly not an altruist but the public pressure he now faces from the people might actually bring forth some democratic reforms. I do not think Kyrgyzistan will turn into an open democracy in a day but I am optimistic about the reforms happening even if they happen slowly.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    Interesting article from todays New York Times: Kyrgyzstan's Shining Hour Ticks Away and Turns Out to Be a Plain, Old Coup

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.