1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kolgrim

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Blackthorne TA, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anyone else kill Kolgrim the first time you meet him instead of agreeing to his proposal?

I did that and then looked at a walkthrough and it recommended agreeing to his proposal since it makes the fight with him easier if you don't want to follow through with the agreement.

I think the walkthrough is right for the most part; I could not win the encounter directly due to those two mages. I came close to killing Kolgrim and his Cult reavers a couple times, but those mages just made it impossible. So I decided to run. :)

I figured if I ran I could separate Kolgrim and the cult reavers from the two mages and deal with them separately. Turned out I was right, only even better than I thought! Once I ran back into the cavern past the "misty" area, they all gave up the chase and went back to their original positions! I was then able to deal with them how I dealt with the rest of the area: Send in my stealthed PC to attack one of them at range to draw him back to the rest of my party. Worked like a charm and I dealt with Kolgrim and each of his reavers separately, then mopped up the mages.

I really like sneaking my PC behind a mage then bringing the rest of the party up. The mage starts to cast a spell; I backstab him from stealth, then use Dirty Fighting to stun him. No more mage :)

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    In my first run I just killed him without second thoughts, I knew he was evil. In my second game, my evil dwarf agreed to do his task and killed him after completing his quest.

That area is a great place to have fun with traps.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I did this as a direct assault as well. As I recall, it was a tough fight with many healing potions consumed. I'm pretty sure I took out the mages first, and tried to stay out of melée with Kolgrim until I was ready to focus on him.

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I killed him instantly too. It was quite easy and it was the last place I went to before the Landsmeet so my characters were above level 20. Generally only mages are a problem if you do not deal with them quickly and as I always had two archers in the party it was not an issue as they kill mages very swiftly (Rapid Shot with Perfect/Precise Striking and Arrow of Slaying is all you need).

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think I was in the level 13 range. Kolgrim's name showed up red so he was supposedly pretty tough for my party.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    There is some level scaling in Dragon Age, it's rather subtle but I'm pretty sure bosses adapt to your party level.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Killed him too. He was obviously insane and evil. Tough opponent, but manageable. I iirc withdrew from combat, found a bypass and there took them on one after another on my terms.

Still, he hits hard. He iirc wields a greataxe. For damaged, low constitution mage or thief types a critical hit means immediate death. It's thus sensible to try put or keep him out of the fight with special attacks or cone of cold and the like.

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    If you agree with him your party members generally dont like it

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Playing the game on the PS3 I play the game mostly on casual since I tend not to pause or use tactics. My current play through I playing on normal. The game is a lot tougher and I have to use tactics to survive. I imagine if I played the game with a PC I would use hard as I would be able to move the camera to a isometic view.

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I remember taking out the pesky mages with earthquake/blizzard/lightning storm using Morrigan and Wynne

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Caradhras is correct on the level scaling- his name will always be orange, no matter what level you are. The game scales enemy levels so it doesn't get absurdly easy later on.

As to the encounter: yeah, first time through I fought him straight off. Agreed to his proposal the second time though. As is usual for all boss fights, magic makes a big difference. As an example, Mana Clash is instant death to any non-boss mage. Crushing Prison is also a powerful spell as you should be able to kill or at least severely injure a mage by casting on them while preventing them from casting. Force field is always excellent- if your tank uses Threaten and takes the aggro off the rest of your party, you can cast Force field on him and use the time gained to deal with the boss' allies. Just a couple of spells, there are other really good ones.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    Quite right. Force Field is a bit cheesy IMO because enemies are unable to realize that it's on and they'll keep whacking away at your tank.

I hated the few times my main was trapped with Crushing Prison. It's one of the most annoying spells enemy mages can cast. It's way more fun when you're the one casting it. ;)

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Perhaps there is some level scaling, but he was not orange for me, he was red (unless it was some trick of the lighting; I don't have the manual in front of me to check the enemy coloring scheme right now). I have seen many white, yellow and orange enemies, but he was the first one I noticed was red. As for your suggested spells, I had none of them at the time :)

This game seems like it will be like the ones before: The later stages of the game played will be easier that the earlier ones because not only are you more powerful due to levelling, you have gotten much better equipment as well. My character is still wearing the Dalish armor, boots and gloves he started with :) And he still hasn't found a really good longbow, though he does have a couple of daggers with runes in them that he dual-wields. :)

14. Caradhras

Media:
    Well, Blackthorne I'm not so sure about the early game being more difficult because of crappy equipment and less levels. You get more abilities as you play and more equipment but it's rather easy to fall into a routine because some spells and abilities are very useful in almost every situations. Besides if you plan your build according to these abilities you may well get the ones you want while in Ostagar.

Regarding equipment it's a rather moot point as armour is overrated especially with a high DEX I had a dual wielding dwarf that only wore a loincloth (no armour except boots and gauntlets) for the entire game, it was really funny and I never missed it.

Dragon Age is also one of these games that gets easier the more you play and get used to its system. I've first completed the game on normal to avoid frustation and then moved on to hard and now to nightmare to make things interesting with my mage. Some fights are daunting until you try a different approach and the game provides many ways to tackle foes. Rogues are still my favourite class because of the variety of tactics that are available to them (poisons, stealth, traps and bombs sure make for fun ways to tackle mobs). Of course, the more mages you have the easier it gets as magic allows you to avoid gulping down poultices and makes for very effective crowd control.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, I believe you about the armor. My PC rogue with high Dex and Cunning seems a lot more survivable than Alistair with his heavy armor, but that may just be because he's a warrior type and draws the most enemies to him while I'm moving my PC around to flank them.

But the equiment I'm more thinking about is things that give resistances, and boni to ability scores. I mean, I think we all have to thank the Sloth demon of the tower for sending us into the Fade for all those permanent ability score uppers we found. That had to be at least a couple level's worth :) I almost hated to kill him ;)

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    It must have been a trick of the light; the orange-red colour is as far as it goes. Even the Archdemon is orange. And easy I guess, but that's another discussion.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are you sure of that? I think I have seen red on npcs and some foes. Could be that I just imagined it as the colour coding in WoW is green, yellow, orange, red with red mobs being many levels above you. Maybe I just expected to see red and thus did it but I am fairly sure I have seen some red, could have been Irving now that I think about it.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have yet to meet Kolgrim; how do you get to him? Please do not keep him a secert from me. My dwarven warrior is looking for a tough fight.

19. Caradhras

Media:
    That's the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest line.

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I killed him outright because I knew he had a sword I was going to give Morrigan since she was going to be a Arcane Warrior the next time she leveled up. :D

The fight was hard, but I prefert it that way...I like to earn my XP. :p Also, if there aren't as many baddies to fight, do you get less XP for it...or do you get extra XP for doing as he proposes?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.