1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kindle 2 Now Available for Pre-order!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Get Kindle 2 Here!

We’re excited to introduce Amazon Kindle 2, the next generation wireless reading device. With a sleek and thin design that makes Kindle 2 as thin as a typical magazine and lighter than a paperpack, the new Kindle has seven times more storage and now holds over 1,500 books. It has a longer battery life and faster page turns. An advanced display provides even crisper images and clearer text for an improved book-like reading experience. And Kindle 2 even reads to you, with “Read to Me”, our new Text to Speech feature.

With Kindle 2 we kept everything readers love about the original Kindle—the convenience of reading what you want, when you want it, the immediacy of getting a book wirelessly delivered in less than 60 seconds, and Kindle’s ability to “disappear” in your hands so you can get lost in the author’s words. We’re also excited to announce that the Kindle Store has over 230,000 ebooks available.

Get Kindle 2 Here!

[​IMG]

New Features & Enhancements

Slim & Lightweight: Just over 1/3 inch and 10.2 ounces

Books in under 60 seconds: Get books delivered in less than 60 seconds; no PC required

Improved Display: Reads like real paper; now boasts 16 shades of gray for crisp images and text; even reads well in bright sunlight

Longer Battery Life: 25% longer battery life; read for days without recharging

More Storage: Take your library with you; holds over 1,500 books

Faster Page Turns: 20% faster page turns

Read-to-Me: Text-to-Speech feature means Kindle can read every book, blog, magazine, and newspaper out loud.

No Wireless Bills: No monthly wireless bills, data plans, or commitments. Amazon pays for Kindle’s wireless connectivity so you won’t see a monthly wireless bill.

Large Selection: Over 230,000 books, plus U.S. and international newspapers, magazines and blogs available

Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise

--

The original Kindle wasn't all that, but this second generation looks & feels like a polished, mature product, so it's much more tempting!

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I always get the temptation, but the price is just too steep to justify to myself :) Especially when it's black and white only.

I saw this when I was buying a power supply book on Amazon the other day and was tempted. But then $360 is a bit much and the book I was buying came with a CD too :)

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

At $360, with 10 bucks a book additionally? I will save the money and buy paperback books for 8 bucks...

Although it looks pretty, and I DO like shiny things.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you're an avid reader, the Kindle will pay for itself. The $10 prices are for new releases in hardcover; older books out in paperback are cheaper ($8 or less; I see some for under $1).

But it'll take quite a few books to save the $360, depending on what kind of books you buy.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If I were to ever get a Kindle, it would have to meet a few criteria:
    • It would have to be the same (or similar) size to a magazine since most of what I read consists of PC World, Maximum PC, and PC Magazine...the latter of which is exclusively digital now.
    • It *has* to be in color!
    • It needs to be able to take snippets and save them
    • It has a basic browser...so how about the ability to "subscribe" to sites like Ctrl+Alt+Del to automatically download the latest CAD comics....
    • It would have to be a *lot* cheaper!
    Until my demands are met, I'll hold off on getting one. :rolleyes:

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    An interesting device. I burn a lot of books. Mostly those 8 euro.s pockets like the ones from Forgotten realms. I can read such a pocket in two days if I wanted to. I buy about 3 a month.

If I drop one once a week, since i am not carefull whit them, will the device stay intact? Can I buy the same books for less if it is for the device? Is the device more environmently friendly than books? Those are the kind of questions that count for me.

Still at 360 bucks, no way.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I guess the point is moot since the price is too steep for you, but as far as dropping, there's a video of a 30" drop test on the page Tal linked, but if you expect to drop it, I'd buy one of the leather covers for it.

Yes, the books are typically cheaper to buy for the Kindle, especially hardcover editions, though Kindle editions may not be available for every book you want (they have something like 230000 editions for the Kindle).

Environmentally firendly? That's hard to say depending on what you care about; you'll certainly be saving all that paper...

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Controversy over the text-to-speech capability. Seems ridiculous. I can understand that one has to pay for an audio-book separately from a print book since the narrator has to be paid to do it, but an on-the-fly computer reading? Makes no sense; I hope Amazon wins this one.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hah, I can understand that. Audio books are a huge business; I know they're especially popular in the UK. But I'm pretty sure Amazon's going to win here. Text to speech has been in Windows/Word for ages too - has anyone ever challenged that?

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Kindle 2's price has been lowered to $299 today.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] How about $110 OFF and free 2-day shipping?

Get the Latest Kindle Here for $189!

I don't know if this price is going to last, but if you're at all interested in getting Kindle, don't pass up this opportunity!

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A book without paper? Bah! Humbug!

Even though my reactionary attitude in this regard deprives Sorcerers of well deserved revenue, I will shun these gizmos out of spite, err, principle and forever (forever probably being the time until I can afford a then matured and improved IPad or something of the sort ... which I then will, no doubt, dutifully acquire through SP)!

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was actually put off by the reviews :bad:

Been considering getting an eReader, might be able to get one through the university when I get assessed for needs. Would have to be one where the backlight can be altered though.

Aside from that I would use it for pdfs most likely as I have a lot of digital fomat rulebooks which would be nice to read on trains and when out and about.

I'm still hoping Wizards don't backtrack on their whole "We will re-release the pdfs we pulled from digital sales, honest!" :rolleyes:

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    eReaders with eInk displays (like the Kindle) do not have a backlight, they are reflective displays (like the pages of a book). So, you might need a booklight if you like to read in dimly lit areas.

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As far as I get it the formats-war is undecided. Still to much you have to buy from us type business.

If all files are standard like pdf, I can get books at any store, the price is half of the paper-pockets, and I can store the books on a pc-hdd in case of loss/damage I will get one for around 150/175 Euro's

16. Taluntain

Media:
    With Kindle, you get books off their wireless "whispernet" directly via Kindle. Amazon's wireless network covers most of the US/Europe and it doesn't cost you anything to download books via it - you just pay for the book. The price will never be half that of paperbacks though, simply due to the fact that traditional publishers don't allow such low prices, because they'd represent too much of a competition to them. It's the same reason why digitally downloaded legal games cost just as much or nearly as much as fully boxed games off store shelves. No traditional publisher wants to compete against a severely discounted digital download.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Last I recall, Sprint provides the network while Amazon handles the billing and support. So to call it "Amazon's wireless network" isn't exactly true.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, if you want to go into technicalities, latest generation Kindles use AT&T's and their roaming partners' networks for access outside the US, but for the end user, that's not really relevant as long as there are no costs involved.

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Was more to be able to change colours of background for the text to be clearer. I've seen someone at unit that had the display alterred and you could change the settings to other colours as well. I guess background would have been a more accurate term. I don't even like using computers in dim light so brightness isn't the issue.

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hmm... AT&T is GSM/HSPA, and both use SIM/USIM. Does that mean the device comes with a SIM/USIM? An internal SIM would work too, but once deactivated, a GSM/HSPA SIM is more trouble to reprogram than providers deem worth.

Anyways, not going to derail this thread.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.