1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

As you guys may know, I very recently recovered my computer from a corrupted registry.

I did this by using the recovery console and copy-pasting the backed up registry files.

Now however, my keyboard is acting up!!!

When I try to enter my password to log in, all sorts of stuff gets put in and I can't log on. If I restart, sometimes this doesn't happen.

Also, while actually working, all sorts of random things happen, like right clicks on the screen, my applications close, text I might be typing gets deleted etc etc etc.

It's a very big pain, and I don't know why this is happening.

Would re-installing Dell keyboard drivers help?

Why is this happening?

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I think your problem is something bigger than the keyboard, when the computer gets hicky on mouse-input it has nothing to do with keyboards... did a viruscheck lately?

Edit:
    ah right, haven't been using windows in a while.

[ July 22, 2005, 22:20: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Morgoth:
    Isn't there a keyboard command for right-click? :hmm:

@Faraaz:
    I'd give the driver re-install a try, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :aww:

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It sounds like things are going from bad to worse in your case Faraaz. I wasn't going to suggest this at all...but now I think I should.

Back up all the files you need/want, then re-format your entire hard drive. If you can, install WinXP Pro, with Service Pack 1. A clean HDD and a fresh copy of windows should cure all the problems you've been having. :rolling:

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Something similiar happened to me when I was using a faulty keyboard. It was much worse though, you couldn't really do anything.

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My keyboard started behaving like that when I spilled a really sticky (and strong) shot over it :p .

If another keyboard doesn't work, install windows again. Formatting and installing Windows again is the easiest way of getting rid of any serious software problems.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Mollusken: Its a laptop! I don't think I can get a new keyboard...other than a USB one obviously, but that defeats the purpose of having a laptop!

Also...I've decided to just give up on it and backup all my data and re-install everything.

I've got Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 from Dell. Is that fine? Another friend of mine was saying I should just get Windows ME instead of XP. Apparently that way everything works a lot smoother.

Ah well.

I'm really going to give those idiots at Dell what for once I'm back in Sydney. I mean, if the system stuffs up, the least they can do is give decent tech. support. I'm still waiting for a reply! :grr:

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Do not use Win ME! Seriously, XP is better. I never would have gotten Home Edition, though. You should be able to get a copy of XP Pro for under $100 and that is perhaps the best OS available right now (Win 2000 Pro SP4 may be better).

I really don't see a problem with getting an external keyboard unless you're using it while riding a train or something like that.

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Try an external keyboard and/or try reformatting. If it's still nothing but trouble, wrap it up in bubble plastic, send it back to Dell and have them fix it. If it's not too old, you should get it for free. I recently sent my 9 months old laptop for repair, and got a new lcd display and a new motherboard without paying anything. It wasn't a Dell though.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I still have the warranty for it. Its only been 6 months since I got it after all.

Hmm...the problem seems to have gone away after I restored a really old backed up restore point...

Still, I'm sending it to Dell as soon as I hit Sydney again, which should be by next monday.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It probably was not a virus then, since system restore is the first thing they usually hit. I don't know; you've got me on this one. Dell will probably do a factory install on it, which may or may not fix the problem. I would ask for a new machine, just to be safe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.