1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kangaxx vs. Assassin

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Faraaz, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

How do I kill him? Assume that you have everything in BG2 legally obtainable for an Assassin at your disposal. (That includes XP)

2. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Oh jeez.. I remember Kangaxx. Frustrating bastard he was. Eventually, I just gave up and CLUA'ed in a weapon that did alot of damage to him. I then sold the weapon because I didnt want to breeze through the game.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Tried traps and Protection from Magic scrolls?

Should be a piece of cake.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I know it is...for his first form.

How do you legally kill his demi-lich form?

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Protection from Magic scrolls and Cutthroat + 4 ? You might run out of time though, so get a potion of speed and as high THAC0 as possible.

6. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I did it like that, 'Protection from Magic' and weilding Cutthroat +4 (and I had NO shortsword proficiency), and Korgan helping with Crom Faeyr). All the wizards/cleric really did was give initial buffs (To Korgan), keep well back and just make sure truesight is up, while continuing to whack off spells that take down Kangaxx protections.

However, among the more interesting ways I've seen put forward, is to set a whole load of traps up, and then use the Ring of the Ram (found in Planar Sphere quest)to shove him into them. I wanted to try that one myself, but a Nishru ate my Ram ring.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Ring of the Ram should work as well, shouldn't it?

What about Ring of Energy? Will that hit him as hard as Ring of the Ram?

The problem with melee is that at best, WITH haste, I will only have 2 attacks. With any decent +4 weapon, I can only manage to hit him for 2-3 points of damage, of which I might even miss almost half the attacks, considering a thief's THAC0.

There's no way of running away to set traps and luring him after you, he doesn't follow you.

Also, there's only 2 Scrolls of Protection from Magic available in the game, AFAIK, which isn't nearly enough to melee him to death. Again, I might be needing those for another encounter or two...level 5 of Watcher's Keep comes to mind.

How do you go about this?

8. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Can you use Protection from Undead (I'm afraid it's been a *very* long time since I played!)?

9. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think my Prot Magic scroll lasted, but if you do not think it will, simply buff your tank for the first incarnation and use 'Prot Magic' scroll for the Demilich incarnation.

I did wait until after the underdark before I went and did the Kangaxx quest.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Midwinter: Not against Kangaxx in demilich form. He has to talk to you after morphing into his second form, otherwise, he will never die, even if you CTRL+Y him.

11. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

@Gilden

He's probably soloing assassin. This is faraaz after all ;)

IIRC the protection from undead scroll should activate with a similiar as any other scroll or special ability item. So why not speaking to him and activating it right after he turns red?

If you consider it cheesy, i'd say it isnt since it's really isnt logical for you not being able to kill him before he speaks to you. Merely a mechanical way to bypass this technical immortality of his.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Plenty of easy strategies here, if you have no issues with "cheese." The simplest for any thief without UAI is definitely to lay several traps at the top of the room, kill the lich, then use ring of the ram to smash the demilich into the traps.

The ring of energy will hurt the demilich, but only for 2-12 damage (or maybe 2-16, I can't quite remember right now--either way, not enough to kill him).

Also, you can begin casting the scroll of protection from undead after he "dies" but before he starts his transition speech, he'll become the demilich, and your scroll of protection will activate.

Also, since you have UAI, then just use the mace of disruption +2 on him. In that case, your scroll of protection will last plenty long enough.

Also with UAI, you can use a scroll of spell immunity-abjuration to get around the "talking" problem, then use a scroll of protection from magic/undead once he's transformed.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well...protecting myself isn't a big deal...

Thing is, solo halfling assassins cant deal out damage at a fast enough rate for Kangaxx. He just regenerates from Barely Injured to Uninjured by the time my attacks from the next round connect!

I tried that trick to push him onto the traps...but he rarely if ever gets pushed in the right direction.

And yes, I AM soloing an Assassin...I don't have any tanks... :(

14. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Try get a hold of summoning stuff, and use traps.
    Run for cover every time he begins to cast a spell, unless your using that scroll.

But whatever you do, dont forget to pickpocket him for an additional Ring of Gaxx when he appears as a regular lich, before the conversation starts.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

how about just turning into the slayer?

16. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Before activating him set traps in the left corner of the room. three or four of them should do the trick, the others can be set near the coffin to damage the first form. Activate him and take him out with mace of disruption or other anti-lich tactics. Try to keep him near his coffin and DO NOT let him activate the other traps. After you kill his form (which should be relatively easy with the MoD nad maybe protection from undead/magic) you run to the right corner opposite from the traps and wait for the transformation to end. THEN Ring of Ram him into your traps, instant ring of Gaxx for you!

17. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

The damage problem is no problem at all if you use the mace of disruption +2. He'll eventually fail a save and die instantly. It's how I used to have Viconia kill him.

The thing about the ring of ram knockback is that if your target gets knocked back into a wall at an angle, he'll keep sliding along the wall until he's moved the full distance of the knockback. In other words, you have an arc to work with, as long as he strikes that left wall heading up toward the corner. Any use of the ring from below and to the right of the demilich should work just fine.

18. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, just turn into the slayer, there is no need for complicated tactic that may not work anyways :)

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Whoa...so you mean to say, the little gap between the platform on top, and the raised platform where the sarcophagus is kept (Kangaxx's spawn point) which you can't walk across doesn't stop his knockback? He just flies over it?

I can't turn into the slayer because I try to beat Kangaxx before I go to Spellhold. The Improved Haste and Invisibility help out a LOT when you hit the Underdark. :(

20. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Yeah, he just flies over it. He is levitating, after all. And just to chime in, the Slayer works great on the demilich, no problems at all. Unless you can't turn into the Slayer yet, of course. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.