1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just wondering about soloing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by the assassin, Aug 29, 2001.

1. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Wouldn't making a new character to solo through the whole game, not to mention Irenicus's dungeon a little hard to survive? Even though I try to get through the dungeon without sleep. Soloing would take a lot of sleep, or you can just cheat...

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Actually it is impossible.

If you play solo, the game recognizes it and you are constantly pestered by goblins that come out of nowhere.

You kill them each time, but the same goblins return and return and return.

Do you know how easy can that thing make one pissed?

3. Silverblade Guest

Just take Minsc, Jaheira or Imoen with you and dump them as soon as you get out of the dungeon. That way it wouldn't be too hard in the beginning and you still can play most of the game solo. You won't get trough the whole game solo, but it is just as much fun.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited August 29, 2001).]

4. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, almost every alignment gets health-restoring skills in the beginning. Good-aligned characters get healing spells, Neutral characters get a little of both good and evil, and evil characters get Larloch's Minor Drain and Vampiric Touch. If played carefully, you can restore hit points without having to rest 70 days to get it all back.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

But that's not really soloing. As far as doing Irenicus' dungeon solo without resting...let's not go there. No I haven't soloed the game, but in my current game I am playing DC R/C with Valygar, Aerie, and Mazzy and so I did "solo" Chapter 1. I had to rest 3 times I think, but I did everything. I was just a ranger at that time.

6. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Plenty of healing potions in Jon's place, too.

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Retsnimle (LINK: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002696.html) just threw Imoen out of the party and left both Jaheira and Minsc behind without even talking to them. From the very first second he was soloing. And he got out of the dungeon. I am a 100% certain. ok. perhaps only 99.5% since I might have Skizofrenia or had my memory altered by aliens :)

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 30, 2001).]

8. Fubini Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It is entirely possible to play the game 100% solo. I played a sorcerer, and survived the first dungeon in 3-5 days. Now, I'm on day 10, and have finished almost every quest in Athkatla. About the only fights that are truly difficult anymore are demons, since they can see invisible creatures.

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

100% ???
    What does that mean?

It means nothing.
    You can't play the game 100%, not even with full party.

1. No concurent romances - you must choose only one. And no same romances for both genders. No romance at all and no vampirism in second clash with Bodhi - at least one quest more dropped if you solo.

2. No working for both Bodhi and Aran Linvail.

3. No special NPC subquests if you solo. Especially bunch of Jaheira's (Harpers', bandits' and "curse" plots). And you finished almost all quests in Athkatla. Of course you did it - half of them you never got! :rolleyes:

4. No killing Kangaxx, wolfweres, etc with every class - if solo. At least NOT IN Chapter 2. I would really like to see a screenshot of your sorcerer killing Kangaxx. With legal game stuff, of course.

To Nobleman

Most of my lately "not understandable" spams are indirect brainstorms not easy to understand. When Modjahed failed to see thru all of them, I suggest you not to try it by yourself.
    Not that I think someone is not intelligent - but only Modjahed does successful catching in philosophical expressions.

Anyway, a hint to my answer here (second in this thread):

Of course it is possible to finish the game in solo play. That is unquestionable.
    But do you see what creatures I put as constant pesterers? ;)
    I wasn't talking about SoA up there Nobleman.

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Apocalypse Now........

12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I thought this thread was total Bull*hit! Now it seems like several posters take it seriously. :rolleyes:

Of course soloing Irenicus dungeon is a piece of cake whatever class/kit or alignment you choose. How can anyone possibly suggest otherwise? :confused:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Short note:
    A solo Sorcerer wipes the floor with Kangaxx the Demi-lich by casting Spell Immunity: Abjuration (from scroll(s) if necessary) and Melf's Minute Meteors.

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Short note:

How many meteors you need? (don't forget that Kangaxx is regenerating...LOL)

And what level must be that sorcerer to get enough of those meteors?

And of course - what is the damage from those meteors?

14. Earl Grey

[​IMG] MMM:
    One meteor/level and already at level 9 does a sorcerer get the max number of 3rd level spells - 6.
    The THAC0 bonus is 5, so you should hit often enough.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll start a new game with a solo Sorcerer and see if I can't get a screenshot of killing Kangaxx the D-L up tonight...

15. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

And if you get your familiar to pickpocket Tolgerias *before* you do the planar sphere, you end up with two rings of the ram, which generally bring Kangaxx to Badly Injured or Near Death.

The only problem I ever have with Kangaxx is that he's located in an autosaved room, so everybody has to be there. too many targets.

16. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Earl Grey, when I gave some thought about all that, maybe it is possible! But not with those two spells alone.

To make it tested as soon as possible, I'll number some things you could "exploit" against that bastard. Codes are in the brackets - you know how to use them. ;)
    Anyway, I won't test it - I'm now on some other things ;)

Sunstone Bullet (BULL04)
    Enchanted: +4
    THAC0: +1
    Damage: 1D4 + 2, +2 Fire Damage

Staff of the Magi (STAF11)
    Enchanted: +5
    THAC0: +1
    Damage: 1D6 +1
    Speed Factor: 4

Staff of Rynn (STAF20)
    Enchanted: +4
    Damage: 1D6 + 4
    THAC0: +4
    Speed Factor: 1

Ring of the Ram (RING33)
    Ring of Acuity (RING40)
    Ring of Wizardry (RING08)
    Girdle of Frost Giant Strength (BELT08)
    Amulet of Power (AMUL21)
    Gauntlets of Weapon Skill (BRAC09)
    Cloak of the Stars (CLCK25)
    Scroll: Protection from Magic (SCRL07)
    Scroll: Melf's Minute Meteor (SCRLA5)
    Scroll: Spell Immunity (SCRL6S)
    Scroll: Mordenkainen's Sword (SCRL8R)

Now, when you start the new game with the sorcerer, you can create Kangaxx from the console with this command:
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("HLKANG")

Special - do not touch
    There is something about this spell, something wonderful! But use it only if items I numbered up fail. ;)
    Scroll: Limited Wish (SCRLA4)

17. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Thanks for the list Extremist.

I started a new sorceress last evening but got distracted by the TV so she hasn't gotten around to Kangaxx and all the other liches :rolleyes: yet.

The sunstone bullet was something I hadn't thought about. Will the extra fire damage get through?

She needs some good support to kill Kangaxx the lich first.

Ring of the Ram would indeed be very nice, only one mind you, exploiting the "pick pocket cheat" :mad: to get more than one is something I will never do.

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Earl, I actually never tried Sunstone Bullets against him in particular. So I can't say. Mainly I used them against Twisted Rune (I always take care of them before Kangaxx).

But the reason I posted this all is my view on that Limited Wish spell (one time wish - to be anything - min WIS=6). I'm almost 100% positive that user of that spell (or scroll) can ALONE kill Kangaxx, no matter his class. With immunity to Imprisonment casted aside - of course.
    The only exception is a kit that can't use scrolls...

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited September 01, 2001).]

19. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

So picking pockets is cheating now? What about traps? Backstabbing? I get the impression that some people out there can't feel they've won 'honorably' unless they just send in a bunch of hackers with the occasional mage for spell defenses.

He's a *wizard.* He really likes his ring of the ram. He can *make* another one if the first gets stolen.

And this, by the bye, was not a cheat I read about somewhere. Unless I'm playing a LG or NG character, I pickpocket *everybody.*

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Gonzago, why those hard feelings?

Actually, I don't take it as a cheat too. But it IS A GLITCH (or a bug if you like to call it that way) and it is exploit! The game doesn't keep track about that ring, but recreates Tolgerias with full equipment inside Plannar Sphere.
    (In fact, script of the area don't check if Tolgerias still has the ring when you exit Government building).

No matter, Earl's solo sorceress wouldn't be able to get two of those rings but only one - how would she steal the first one? Or there is a steal spell I'm not aware of?
    :p :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.