1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jedi Academy demo is out

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Oxymore, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Here.

And I'm dissapointed. It seems they made not much more progress since Jedi Outcast. That is: fan-made mods for outcast already covered most of the new features. Let's hope a strong solo game is scheduled.

Edit: you could try this link but it's in French.

[ September 13, 2003, 00:19: Message edited by: Oxymore ]

2. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Since I haven't tried the demo yet and that I can only talk from the site, it looks pretty amazing. I've always wanted Outcast to be more saber-duel with different moves etc. And a solo game where you live in a Jedi Academy.

If it's just another Jedi Outcast with some new sabers and moves, fine, I'll buy it. I like the game and more of the same is still good.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah. I guess I'll wait till it comes to a Finnish quality server. That crap won't let me download anything.

Barked too soon it seems. Maybe I should speak less for Opera as it's becoming more of a nuisance each day. IE downloaded the demo just fine, and man am i pleased. The only thing I find *bad* about it is the extreme arcade nature where every common soldier can take 3 hits from a lightsaber (it wasn't nearly this bad in Jedi Outcast, and even then lightsabers were too weak). Were it not for mods, that one thing would be enough to make this game suck, but I know the mod community will make the same products, if not more, for this game as well. Mine (the one I use in Outcast) ensures that one single slice to any limb will sever it instantaneously, incapacitating the opponent. Jedi battles tend to be short but hey, that's realistic at least.

[ September 13, 2003, 16:49: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, I've played the demo.

The plot is just as terrible as Outcast's, so as long as you never pay any kind of attention to the plot, you're good to go. As far as gameplay, it's all the wonderfulness of Outcast and the Sexual Tyrannosaurus that is Ray Parks. A ballet of saber whirling death and Force powers.

Dual Sabers seriously own the game, although the Staff has a beauty in it's own. Try out the Staff, but you'll most likely end up moving back to Duals. Wall flips and saber dismemberments have been tweaked severely, and although it does not reach the gruesome death throws that inhabitated (read: plagued) Soldier of Fortune II, they are enough to disturb you into moving to the next area. You may end up just launching rockets so the hall isn't filled with people looking at their amputated limbs and murmuring or screaming. Just keep running and hacking, closing doors behind you, and you'll stay sane.

There's a couple of terrifically executed timed sequences. Where some kind of massive monster is chasing you through the entire level, forcing you to stay one step ahead or find one of the few "hiding" spots. Or where sandworms (think "Dune") keep you on your toes like a game of Hot Potatoe.

The only other thing, besides the plot, that the game lacks is the number of majestic levels. Several times through Outcast, I had to noclip to some really high point and just admire the entire level's scenery; one notable time was in the asteroid shipyard, from a point that had to be 5 or 6 hundred feet above the main deck. The level was massive, and falling (or even thinking about falling) from that high up reminded me that I do have a fear of heights. There's a couple of good spots, but the main focus is hacking limbs.

Bottom line:

Play it for the multiplayer. Play it for the Ray-Parks-style kombat. Do not think heavily on the plot or story, as it will lead to hate and suffering; the Dark Side.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I'm looking forward to it seeing as how I've been with this series since the beginning - Dark Forces. While I don't remember anything earth-shattering about Outcast's plot, I don't recall it being as horrifying as ejsmith does. MotS was a further extension of JK and while it didn't add much new to the equation, I enjoyed it a lot more. In turn, I enjoyed Outcast a lot more than JK, so if Jedi Academy is based off of Outcast then nothing but the best of the Dark Forces series to this date can come out of it.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The most important thing to remember when you get the game and load it up (every single time):

1. Press "~". You will have to use the shift key to type the symbol.

2. Type into the console "devmapall".

3. Type into the console "set g_saberrealisticcombat 3"

4. Type into the console "set g_saberdismemberment 5"

5. Hit the "~" key again.

6. Be careful what you chop at. I think a couple of wampas have lost a penis because of me. Sometimes, you'll have no clue what it was you just chopped off...

7. Have fun!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.