1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Isaac Hayes Quits South Park

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Damn. He has such a great voice for the character; I can't imagine how they're going to replace him. Then again, they may just kill off Chef, because it's not like they haven't done it before. *coughchokesondickcoughbusdrivercough* ;)

And I guess that explains why I saw him in a commercial today.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds like he was offended by the digs at scientology but not at other, cough, religions.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Exactly Harbs. He was perfectly happy cashing their checks when they mocked all sorts of religions. When they poke at Scientology (not even a religion in my biased view), suddenly they're really offensive. Riiiiiight.

I think that Matt and Trey are going to have a field day at Chef's expense.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

That's the problem--keep making jokes about religions, sooner or later your's will come up. If you can't take it, you have no right dishing it out. What they should do is get another actor to play the voice of Chef and continue without him...

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm certain there are heaps of black men who'd love to line their pockets with money. It can't be too hard finding somebody who sound like Chef.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't know how people can take Scientology seriously - come on, it was founded by a guy who said that the best way to make money was to start your own religion...

I hope the South Park guys do something really good with this...

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think it was a gutsy move. I can't think of two people I would be more afraid of to have mad at me than the creators of South Park.

You know some terrible things are going to happen to either Chef or they may actually use Issac Hayes in the show.

9. Liriodelagua Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Two things: the guy that does his voice in spanish is much better than him. No big loss to me.
    Second: what's the name of that religion the king of england created long ago? Anglican? And more important, why do you think he created it? Think about it... scientology is not alone on the money making thing, come on. And that 10% fee the catholic church used to charge on their followers!? If I'm not mistaken, the Holy Spirit has a *BANK* in Rome...

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

First, the church created by the King of England is the Church of England, or Anglican. That's about all I know on that regard.

Secondly, it's the Law of Tithing. It's actually in the Bible. The Church of Jesus Chirst of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) have it too. It pays for the consrtruction of church buildings (an average of 2 per day) all over the world.

11. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Like Thomas Paine said about churches, "All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    King Henry VIII was the King of England who created the Anglican Church. While he no doubt made money from it, the King was already a very wealthy man, so that was not the only, or even the primary reason he split from Catholicism. The main reason was his wife had not given birth to any sons, and he wanted to divorce her and remarry so he could have a male heir. The pope did not allow the annulment of the marriage, and so he made his own church that was very similar to the Catholic Church, except it was the King, not the pope that was in charge of giving a marriage annulment.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Let's stick to the topic of Hayes and South Park please.

14. Felinoid

I just saw that Chef's coming back to South Park tonight, and he did sound like Chef. Of course, this could mean any number of things. They could be bringing him back permanently, or just bringing him back to kill him off. They might have gotten Isaac Hayes back, or found a replacement (if so, WOW), or they could just be using audio clips from Hayes's previous work since the only thing he said in the preview was the common "Hello there, children!" Anybody have any more news on this?

15. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The episode was made after he quit, so I assume they'll use canned audio from his previous shows. I'm sure they'll do some evil things to the poor guy. When's it air tonight? I can't miss "Lost" and I don't have TIVO. :(

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  17. Felinoid

@Sir Fink:
    I'm in the same boat (both South Park and Lost are on at the same time), but hopefully they'll replay it at 11:00. Just in case, though, I'll be taping it. Do you at least have a VCR?

@Tal:
    Actually, I was able to discern what he meant rather clearly. While Isaac hayes did not actually quit the show himself, someone must have sent a statement on his behalf that he was quitting. And unfortunately, Hayes himself is in no condition to either refute or confirm it. So only time will tell.

EDIT:
    Absolutely horrible. This is only the second time I have been disgusted by this show (even as an avid watcher), and I think this was worse than the last time. They made Chef into a brainwashed child molester, with rather obvious hinting at Scientology brainwashing, including even an exposition with an obviously identical format to their Scientology beliefs exposition. Then they killed him off in quite a gory manner at the end; Chef is definitely gone. And hopefully Darth Chef (I don't even want to explain that one) will stay out of the show too.

[ March 23, 2006, 07:22: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

18. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It wasn't all that funny. I think I would have preferred it if they had just made fun of Scientology in a more obvious way. But perhaps they were afraid of lawsuits?

And what happend to the thing about Tom Cruise threatening to not promote MI3 if Comedy Central aired the show? Or was that another show that makes fun of Scientology? What happened to that episode?

19. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I thought the episode was hilarious.

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did you even watch the end of that episode? Where Cruise and all the other scientologists kept screaming "We're gonna sue you, mister!" at Stan, and Stan replied "Fine, douchebags! Sue me! I dare you!" for about a minute straight? Then the credits roll, and everyone's name is "John Smith, John Smith, John Smith...." They were basically daring them to sue.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.