1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Torment worth it?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Jorgon, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm always on the look out for cool RPG games, regardless of age. So, my question is, is Planescape worth the $10 i can get it for? Or after playing BG1,2 IWD1,2; would it just be lame? Or is it a "timeless" game?

[ December 18, 2002, 17:12: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Best Infinity Engine game there is, if you don't mind reading a lot. The combat is not great like the others, but the story and characters are amazing. It makes the others seem lame, IMO. I would still buy this game at the original retail price, just for a back-up copy!
    Playing BG after Torment, it feels like the dialog was done by a child.

[ December 18, 2002, 02:56: Message edited by: Platter ]

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I'll just say that I agree totally. It has a slightly unusual storyline, aside from the somewhat hackneyed amnesia plot device, and an amazing array of unusual characters. Definitely worth a buy, especially if you're more concerned with plot and story then combat.

4. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Short answer, it is worth it! Only problem is the start. As it was already mentioned, it turned many people from playing it, some forever, some, like me, for a year :) But after you get past the start (Mourtuary) and some early quests and you get a hold on some story, the game is great. Btw. If you are a bit confused on the start, don't be disturbed, that feeling will follow you through the whole game! Until the very end! That is why the story was so interesting to me.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It really does depend. On the otherhand I liked Torment a lot. On the other hand I hated it.

It's like The Lord of The Rings in many aspects. Mainly just that the fights aren't that awesome, but are essential to the story. Meaning there's a lot of extra story material, and explaining one story that could easily be put to 5 rows usually takes around 50 to be explained in the game. Meaning a lot of the stuff you must wade thrugh has nothing to do with the main plot itself.

Torment was to me, a very boring game to play through. When I want to read a fantasy novel, I go for books. Handheld paper material, not computerscreen. And in Torment even though the stories and text in itself was great, it had a habbit of doing "The Bold and The Beautiful" (not that I watch that show, really!) all the time. Meaning, whenever you just think you got to the real interesting part, the discussion ends and you have to go in search of the other parts of the story.

So the game was more annoying than not to play through. Sure there were those amusing moments but mostly it was more negative than not. But when you got the game through at last..? Then the story got value. The ending itself was nothing that special, but IN the end you finally had the whole story in your mind. You finally could understand a great deal of what it was all about. And playing for the second time REALLY was something when you now could follow every little lead from here and there and realize ho incredibly detailed and well imagined it all was.

So that's my take on the game.

I like the BG -series more than I did Torment. Tormen wasn't that good a game imo. But it was special enough to experience. In the end, it fell from my list of potentially best games around because its music really isn't anything, there are too few characters, (with not much social relationships dialogue, save a few with Morte and Annah) and the ending is too much of the same no matter what you do.

6. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Hehehe, another one ;) . Yes it is worth it, yes you should buy it. Yes you will love it :love:
    Why did I give my friend in Scotland a loan of it :bang: I could be playing it again and leaving NWN to crash all it wants :bang: :wail:

7. Platter

Forashi I can't believe you didn't like the music! I think it is the best of any game I've ever played.

8. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hey, I think you should buy it. I mean, sure I haven't finished it yet, and the Rubikon Maze is slapping me around like a pimp, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad game. Yeah, the beginning was infuriating. You couldn't kill anything for fear of setting the whole complex off, but eh, onceyou get past it, you find yourself in a bevy of dialogue whirlwinds that won't put you down! And if money's a concern, it's only like 10 bucks at the dreaded Wal-Mart, in some dual package thingy. I humbly suggest that you pick it up, just for kicks. Oh, just a hint here. If and when you pick it up, invest in wisdom, a lot of wisdom. Just a hint!

9. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Torment is the best CRPG game ever, period. If you dont enjoy reading its probably not a game for you, but if you enjoy interactive fantasy, then this is the game.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

CRPG? Pardon me but isn't CRPG an abbrevation of "Console Role Playing Game"? Just as JCRPG is the same with "Japanese" put in front of it?

Me and some of my jcrpg -freak friends have been using it for that purpose at least.

And Torment is originally a PC-game, even if it was later exported to a console platform.

11. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It means Computer RolePlaying Game, which means both PC and console games.

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Jorgon, go buy it NOW.
    It's definitely a timeless game. It's one of the most original games around.

13. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Is the best RPG ever conceived worth it? Let me think.

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Best RPG ever? A bit over-enthusiastic here now. Torment had MANY flaws that made sure it couldn't be the best around. It was just different. Face it, it doesn't even have much competition on its own area.

But opinions, as they say, are the same as ar**holes. Everybody has one. :) That wasn't an insult, if it was it was as much to me as it was to you. Just I really can't imagine why so many think of Torment as if it was some sort of religion or god. To me it's just a nice attempt for something not so commonly tried before, resulting in an average success.

15. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Forashi on the Boards there's a board on this site for each game set in the D&D world that is in PsT's area, and there's a lot of other RPG's out there as well. While the game had a few bugs, all of them were sorted in the patch. The only bug I experienced was a little bit of slowdown sometimes, and even then I had played the game through before I knew about the patch and noticed nothing that would stop it being the best RPG game IMO. Even the mighty BG2 has had to be patched a few times and even then some issues (eg: romances) haven't been fixed. I am really interested in hearing PsT's flaws though, and why you think other RPG's cannot be compared to it.

16. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    What flaws exactly? I have never encountered a serious bug.

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Verimillion: I never said anything about bugs. Anyone older than 5 years old knows to get things patched with the latest patches availble before starting to fiddle with them, so I'd hardly be here whining about Torment only because I had some leet original version with bugs on it.

The flaws that I spoke of were just mostly those opinions I already referred to. The game was slow-paced. There were but few truly interesting characters. There is really no option to the storyline as how you want to advance it, what you want to do inbetween and how you will end it all. Very linear IMO, and still the few pre-scripted plot events that took place had really no great feeling of immersion whatsoever. Save for Ravel and the Entity whatever in the end. The musics really were quite nonexistant. And the world was too much of the same. Every place was a dirty dungheap with scarcely any positive surprising environments or mystical and legendlike events to offer. It's unfinished. A great story fit on force into to small a territory. Feels as if you take a walk through one town, jump to another, then go to a palace and kill a baddie to end up fighting in an endless battle over the hells. And while you're at it, you take a short visit to a crazy witch and a pillar of skulls to make things even a tad more interesting. And as I noted before, whenever one of the countless stories DOES get interesting, It's cut in the middle due to some stupid one out of 5000 quests in the same dungheap of a town that you have to accomplish before getting any further.

I know I have imagination, a lot. And I know that intellectual games, or the type where fighting is not the main concern are not a nearly a problem for me. But for some reason, I perceive torment as a boring collection of tales that are cut in too many parts to ever be swallowed as whole. The insides were too shattered for me to comprehend easily enough to actually enjoy it, or something. Can't really place it. I just didn't plain like it that much. Good, but not really that good.

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Torment has no critical flaws except the possible handkerchief problem in unpatched version. The patched version doesn't have more than 12 bugs. Don't sweat now! You probably won't find any of these, and even if you do, there is always a method to avoid or resolve them, plus Platter made a few nice fixes for most of those.

19. Platter

12 bugs? Well, granted, you won't notice most of them because you can't really tell they were supposed to be any other way just by playing, but there are a whole lot more than 12. There are a lot of dialog triggers/actions that are typed improperly, especially.

So many of the bugs in this game could have been prevented if they had used a simple syntax checker.

[ December 23, 2002, 19:31: Message edited by: Platter ]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  20. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Ok, not 12.

13. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.