1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this new spam?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by kuemper, Aug 16, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Hey all. I got a couple emails to my hotmail account, peaked at them but just ignored. I didn't click anywhere in the messages or email a reply or anything. I'm concerned about whether these are just spam attempts to get info from me or something more sinister. Here is the first I received about my PayPal account (which I don't have):

And the second from Ebay (which I don't use):
    Both emails are identical in wording and how the document looks. And since the same countries are used in the ISP reports, I figured both were from the same person/people and attempts to get me to divulge account numbers, real name, etc. Are they really spam and can I put them in my trash folder, or should I keep them archived in case they're something else? My computer is running as its usual self. I have Spybot and checked for viruses and found nothing. TIA

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

That's spam, big time. I got the same paypal message, and I don't even have an account. :shake:

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The purpose of that scam is beyond me, so it must be a higher level of idiocy. At any rate, it's scam. They can write whatever they want in a message and they can send you messages "from" whatever address they like. I could send you a message from your own address, for example. ;)

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Usually scams send you to a site that is not the company. If he was to login to paypal.com or ebay.com, the scammer wouldn't get information from him.

I agree that it's a scam, but it's clearly by a scammer that doesn't have a clue what s/he is doing.

5. Felinoid

@Rastor:
    Haven't you heard of 'farming'? They hack into the place where the URL names are matched to the IP addresses and reroute it to their own site, which has a mock-up of the login area. All they have to do is capture the info when you attempt to login to their fake site, and then they use that info to log into your real account and do whatever the hell they feel like!

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I would say that it goes beyond spam to attempted fraud but you get the idea.

I wouldn't say that the crook necessarily doesn't know what he/she is doing - given that it would be presumably relatively difficult to determine who actually has a paypal/e-bay account it makes sense to blindly flood as many e-mail accounts as possible in order to find a couple of saps who are gullible enough to log-in.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have been pretty active in trying to go after people operating such schemes but I have not been hearing them bragging about any significant arrests. The criminals are invariably located somewhere overseas and have proven just about impossible to track down and lay charges against.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Some of those have found their way to our exam-results listing (that is done via emails) and it's pretty funny, considering that about 5,000 students read that listing and probably none of them use PayPal. It's like screaming "SPAM! Do not fall to a trick like this!" :shake:

8. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It's possible that the link wouldn't take you to the destination it suggests, and then requires you to enter various credit card details to "reactivate your account". That would make it phishing. I've had similar things claiming to be from various American banks, saying stuff about my mortgage, and requiring my bank details.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@All - thanks muchly. You can never be sure about what's going on online anymore. Why can't I get the sex spam anymore? I guess hubby gets mine, too. :lol:

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I beleive the technical term for it is "Phishing" as they are "fishing" for legitimate accounts. I see quite a bit of these involving banks in which they want you to go to a mock-up site and access your on-line account.

I've always thought that the FBI or Interpol should give out to people fake information to enter into these schemes so they could trace them. Even better maybe the CIA for they could trace and then plant them :lol:

11. Felinoid

:doh: Right, it's phishing if they use e-mail to entice you, while pharming is if they do what I mentioned above and just wait for people to get routed to their fake site.

There are just too many new scams for me to keep 'em straight. :sosad:

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] It is fraud, in the end, and it's very dangerous to those not used to the crap that goes around in the web.

An elderly friend of mine nearly had her account wiped clean because she received a mail, supposedly from her bank, asking her to check details. She was lucky enough to be using an extremely slow dial-up connection. When the site took too long to load, she phoned the bank and was informed of the scam.

Banks never contact people by e-mail, at least in Ireland. Not even if you use internet banking services.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, it's spam... or rather scam. Or scam spam. I get it all the time.

The links in the message you pasted are probably going to the real sites because you copy/pasted the text only, and UBB automatically made links of the urls. However, in the mail you've received, the link on the proper urls was most likely to the scammer's domain and not the actual PayPal or eBay site, even though it looked like it was. It's easy to do with html in messages and many people wouldn't notice it.

The only easy way to check whether a mail such as that is real or not is to look at the mail source (available in any standalone mail client). Sift through the message in the text area, and as soon as you see any links in the message that aren't anywhere on the real PayPal or eBay sites ( http(s)://www.paypal.com/whatever or http(s)://www.ebay.com/whatever ), you can safely assume that the message is a scam and delete it.

Scammers will usually have links in that look somewhat like PayPal's real links, for example http://paypal.domain46r36.com (along those lines), but unless the link is in the format I've outlined above, it's a scam.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It also helps that most scammers have terrible english. :)

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Or that the message begins with words "ENLARGE YOUR PENIS TODAY!" :)

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, and "give her the night she won't forget." :)

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think no one needs help recognizing those, so please stay on topic... :rolleyes:

18. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The best ones are those with the subject headings that get cut off by the edge of the screen, and show up as "Impress your girlfriend today with a hug..." :shake:

One thing hasn't been mentioned yet, though fairly well-known - all that clicking on "Unsubscribe from this mailing list" or similar will do, if it appears at the bottom of any spam, is let them know that the email address is in use.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.