1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this game still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Xaelifer, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Now that it is on discount, is Torment still worth buying? Was it worth it in the first place?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

For god's sake... You still haven't got it?

Don't ask, BUY IT NOW!

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Xaelifer, I think you would like Torment. It is a deep game. Far deeper than any of the others we talk about on this site ;).

4. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Of course! You MUST buy it!

5. herf Guest

Everyone, please, the man wants reasons, not stupid one liner comments, if your gonna post then make it worthwhile!

Xaelifer- The game is absolutely fantastic, the story is far deeper, more intriguing than any other crpg put together, and it also draws you in more.
    You know the feeling they tried to go for with BG and BG2 where they wanted you to CARE about your party members but didnt do it very well? They achieved it perfectly in PST, you do actually care about your party members.
    The only way I can think to describe the plot is... more focused, it actually focuses on your life, your travels, your wanderings rather than on anything else.

The graphics are amazing, it has the best spell animations than any other game, there are even some spells that have their own cut-scenes, and they are truly amazing.

Don't get me wrong, there are drawbacks, and some of them are major, but in a big way the add to the feel of the game.
    For instance, you start the game as a human male fighter, you hvae no choice about that, the only thing you do is choose your stats, but in this game, stats are everything litteraly. To change your class you have to find someone willing to teach you, to become a thief you find a thief, to become a mage you find a mage, simple enough. And the best thing is,you can switch classes at anytime at all, say you made your way and became a powerful 56 level fighter but wanted some arcane knowledge to back up your party due to lack of spellcasters, you just find a mage, do whatever they want and your a mage. Once you change to a new class any level is attainable, there are no experience caps.
    Why... I remember going through undersigil with my level 500 something fighter with a dagger and killing the place, simple enough.

Yet the game isn't for powergamers, not at all, there are a lack of weapons, a lack of party members and when you do get a powerful weapon/ring/bracelet it's just in the nick of time.
    Oh, and armour, there is no armour for your character, at all, absolutely none. The only armour in the game is for your two female npc's, a cleric and a fighter/thief (btw, you cant multi or dualclass at all, ever).

My fingers are sore, if you want more then I'll type it up, but not until then.

6. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree with all that herf said. This is a must get game. It even has an item that you keep in your inventory thats a dungeon. This game rocks and it is the best of all of the D&D games.It has the most interesting characters and story.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.