1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this a good party?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by iLLusioN', Jul 13, 2003.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

archer: good with shortbow(gesen!) and halberds
    Cavalier: 2 handed swords(carsmyr)
    Barbarian: good with katana's, long swords, two weapon prof
    Cleric of talos: flail, hammers, two weapon prof.
    theif: gonna duel to magea at level 10, good with daggers, slings, and shortbow
    Totemic Druid: good with scimitars and spears single weapon prof.

2. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Hmm... since you have a cleric already, I don't think a druid is useful as you wouldn't need too much healing(I stored too many potions that I regreted as I ran out of storage spaces) and druid's spells seems kind of limited compare to a cleric, as cleric have more anti-unholy(anti vampires and anti big demons) spells which make life much more easy when battling them. Since you have 3 warriors already, if I were you, I would change the druid to a pure mage as a pure mage can help make the game much easy early in the game and also later. Unless you are more pro in using druid than mage or you want to try out using druid...

3. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree on the excess of divine spells. Now you could do a fighter Druid, those guys are heniously powerful later on. You could add monk, but thats a little too many fighters. Fighter/Thief could be a nice magekiller with a huge backstab. A sorcerer would be nice, as would a fighter/mage. Berserker/mage if you want less fighting, more magic. Theres lots of ideas here. You could do just fine with the first 5, more exp that way too. Your call, nice party no matter how you look at it.

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I´d erase the druid and put an Illusionist in her place. Otherwise it will work fine.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    TBH, i've never been a big fan of archers, especially not when they are only wielding a short bow (Strongarm or Mana Longbow would be a better choice IMO). Since archers never seem to win me any big battles (dragons etc) i'd lose the archer and have a fighter/cleric dual class and lose the barbarian and have an out-and-out tank fighter, lose the out-and-out cleric and have a cleric/mage multi class. That make sense? :confused:

And you are severly lacking in a proper mage. the only way to beat a good mage is WITH a good mage (either that or last out till his defences wear off! by which time your usually toast!), an illusionist would be a good choice.

Just my opinion! Point and laugh in my general direction if I have just proven myself a n00b! :D (IIRC tho, i have completed the game about 6 times, twice on Insane difficulty! :) )

6. Arian Gems: 5/31

You don't necessarily need a full class mage or any mage for that matter. But it's helpful to at least have a multi, but all your really need to beat mages is ruby ray, dispel, true sight and breach. You could use the wand of spell striking and make the cavalier an inquisitor for true sight and dispel. His dispel casts at twice his level so you're pretty much guranteed success. Plenty of mage killing without a full mage. Fighters can do the rest. And if you do put in a full class mage don't be an illusionist, no necromancy, which means no abi dalzim's. If you put in a full class mage at least take advantage of him. ;)

7. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Different player, different tactic of playing...
    I will not left out the archer armed with Gensen short bow. Imagine, with grandmastery in short bow, the archer will be able to do rapid damages at the enemies and will also cause enemy mage to have their spells failed.

8. Arian Gems: 5/31

I agee on the archer. Better damage than any melee fighter out there in later levels. Plus at lvl 12 their called shot removes one strength and that punches through stoneskin if I remember correctly. Do a ray of enfeeblement and contagion then called shot a few times, strength=0, death. You can even kill some "immortal" NPCs this way. Also, to help lower the strength when you're fighting dragons/golems with over 18/75 strength, cast strength on them. Since it's meant to be a party spell there is no save and magic resistance doesn't affect it, so it will actually lower their strength to 18/75. Keep the archer.

9. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I would take a Priest of Helm instead of Talos... evil clerics charm undead when turning undead, good and neutral clerics destroy them!

I think Priests of Helm get True Sight too... IMO much more useful than the Storm Shield.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    SO your telling me that a high lv l NPC will not be able to save against Ray of Emfeeblement? :rolleyes:

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

im gonna keep the archer with shortbow spitfire because the gesen bow adds 1-6 lightning to any arrow you use and spell failure. My barbarian IS the out and out tank, barbarians are awesome cuz they have more hp, speed, are immune to backstab without gargoyle boots(i think thats the right ones) plus their rage is better than berserk(imo). I got the cleric of talos ,victor, and because ive never got one very high level. There is no way im gonna get an illusionist for the reasons arian stated. I got the druid to make it more interesting. My theif will be dueled to a mage at level 10. I dont want a monk in the party because they get ridiculously strong at high levels. If you think any of my reasoning is wrong please tell me wrong because i dont pretend to have as much experience as the rest of you.

[ July 17, 2003, 04:40: Message edited by: LoS_DrIzZt4 ]

12. Arian Gems: 5/31

@Spitfire
    Hey it could happen. ;)

Definately go with Talos, stormshield is like protection from lightning, fire, and normal missiles all in one and lasts for a long time. Plus their lightning bolt damage is uncapped, that should reason enough. ;)

13. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

your archer should be a longbow archer. gesen is more a "hey-i-got-nothing-to-do" weapon and has low killspeed. and an archer is surely able to do big battles. i blinded firkraag once and my archer was the only one to hit him constantly (had strong arm and arrows of piercing at this point).

you should use a druid but not the totemic. as most here want you to pick a mage or something like that instead try out a avenger. very nice.

14. Krisa Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Party which I foud the best in BG2:SOA -
    Main character: Half-orc Swashbuckler (wearing two longswords - fast and deadly)
    Two killing machines:
    Korgan (with boots of speed and one or two good axes later in the game he alone could kill almost anyone)
    and Minsc (specialized in twohanded weapons and longbows - talking sword is great (In bg2TOB i changed minsc for Sarevok, cause Boo pissed me off a little... :) )
    For healing I took Aerie (She heals good and is also good magician)
    ANd finaly the most deadly: EDWIN
    (He is really interesting guy and gets a lot of invisible bonuses comp[aring to other mages, also later he singlehanded could kill any dragon or other boss he met)
    The sixt character I usually changed to get all character-only quests and for laer gatteing the second best mage in the game my sister :)
    You can see that I like Alignment mixed parties...
    Also later I Changed aerie for Viconia because I thought taht EDWIN is enaugh for magic...

15. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Again, this show that we have different ways to battle our foes. I am referring to the bow. If I were you, I would rather stick to gesen as it is not only faster than a long bow,it's arrows are +3 if I'm not wrong and if you want to use any enchanted arrows, it can also be shot from the gesen. further more, I only use enchanted arrows early in the game.When I reach the later part of the game and have obtained gesen, it will help me save lots of item space as I gesen need no arrows.
    Isn't it more convenient? :)

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Just my two cents:

If you want an archer - I'd definitely go with short bows. Not only do you get Gesen, there is also the Tuigan bow very early in the game, which gives you an extra attack every round, and then there is a +3 bow in Trademeet - I can't remember the short bow's name - that doesn't requrie ammo, but can hit things like Golems.

Actually Gesen is a +4 bow, not a +3 bow as was stated, but that just adds more to the arguement he made. It's +4, so if you don't arm arrows, and just fire the magic damage, it even hits the demi-lich.

You certainly don't need two mages, and having a thief dual to a mage is definitely the way I would go. The only thing I would change there is have the thief go one more level, up to level 11. Level 11 occurs at 220,000 XP, which means your mage can still max out his level. (The mage maxes out at level 31, which I believe occurs at 7,775,00 XP, so there is no loss of level by taking the thief to level 11. The benefit of going to level 11 is that the theif gets a THAC0 improvement of 1 at level 11, and also an additional weapon proficiency. If you start as a swashbuckler, you also get a bonus of +1 to armor class at that level.)

I see no problem of having a cleric and a druid in your party. Clerics and druid are not the same, and some of the HLA of druids (like summon greater elemental) are really powerful. You may want to start him out as a fighter, and then dual him to a druid in the early going. That way you get to wear better armor, and place more than 1 proficiency per weapon.

Of course, I'm of the opinion, if you're going to play a single class in cleric, theif, mage, or druid, you should always start them as a fighter and dual class over because it gives you access to either more weapons, or at least more proficiencies in each weapon, along with a corresponding better THAC0.

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Aldeth

Actually, the Tuigan Bow sets your attacks to 3 per round, it doesn't give you an extra attack. You may be thinking of the Light Crossbow of Speed. Since the Tuigan Bow is only a +1 bow, it seems to be a waste to give it to an archer, who starts the game with at least 3 attacks with a bow if you max out his mastery. The last time I made an archer, I gave him 5 stars in Long Bow and he started the game with 4 attacks, with just a regular Compisite Long bow. I agree, the investment is good for the Gesen Bow, but you'd be better off giving the archer a +2 shortbow to start out, and giving the Tuigan to the thief, who will always need as much offensive help as he can get.

I agree on all other points.

18. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31

@ Death Rabbit
    The description says that attacks are set to 3 per round but that's not true - if your character already has 3 rounds with a bow, the Tuigan will add an extra attack.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have Mazzy using the Tuigan bow right now - and she gets 4 attacks.

Actually, her attacks are 9/2, but that's becuase I have the fix pack installed the returns grand mastery to what it should be. Normally, she would get 4 attacks per round (unmodded).

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Huh....I seem to remember a sitiation where giving a character the Tuigan actally lowered his attacks, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Maybe it's fixed in a patch or something, and I did it a while ago before installing any patches. Or, maybe I just pulled that out of my ass. Who knows.

:confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.