1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is God responsible for evil?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Master of Nuhn, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's simply amazing how a thread about Dark Arts and White Magic can become one about who is responsible for the evil here on earth: Satan, God or human kind? (It's been discussed before, but it seems we want to know more about it)

Well, what are your thoughts?

For some interesting quotes, search Dark Magic from God....

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It all depends on what you believe. Personally, i don't believe in any god, so all evil we've ever whitnessed is caused by mankind. It's easy to put the blame on a character like satan, but to me that's just fairy tales.

3. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't believe in any god, so imo men created (in their minds) God and Satan. Same goes for evil, it's a concept invented by humans that applies to humans and to the things they do. So who responsible for evil on earth? The people who invented the word, shaped and reshaped its meaning for millennia making it fit their own interests ... humans.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

IMHO at least the Christian God claims responsibity for evil. But defining evil is not easy!

It is clear that God is sovereign, and that He has willed the existence of both good and evil, and that all of this is for His own glory.
    Proverbs 16:4 says, "The LORD works out everything for his own ends -- even the wicked for a day of disaster"; Isaiah 45:7 says, "I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things."

(from http://www.godonthe.net/evidence/s-z.htm )

Do a search on "theodicy". :)

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I think that that God knows that he created Satan, because one cannot have good without evil.

6. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't see the logic of creating something so you can define another thing.

7. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Put me into the Oxymore camp.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh?

It´s simple really, God might have needed an evil person so He came out as the almighty good guy.

Since you can´t define good without using evil

[ April 20, 2003, 11:55: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

9. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes you can. God is good, God is love.

The answer is a combination of Satan and man-kind.

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Kovalis is right. God didn't create evil, he created your own free will, which often leads to evilness. If you believe in Him then you shouldn't have done bad things and no evil would have excisted.

Ok, before you all start to mention all the things that "christians" have done, I'll say; The crucades may have been done in His name, but I don't think that he agreed with them.

God excists, love, life and freedom is examples of that.

Now the X-files starts so I'll go and watch it. :rolleyes:

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Love and freedom are proof that god exists ? You gotta come up with something better than that to convince me.

12. Morgoth

Media:
    And why did God create free will?? To make us **** up?

What exactly is freedom,
    what exactly is life
    and what exactly is love??

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

How don't we know that evil is only an absence of good, instead of another abstract thing?

Just a thought.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Rather something being nonexistent as effectively relative and logically tied with another thing - like good and evil. In Christianity evil is absence of good - and God. Regarding Genesis as a metaphore, we could say that disobedience towards God breeds all evil, which is because God has not programmed us, but instead given us free will and set laws and standards to follow. Going around those is going around God, breaking those is disowning God - thus evil.

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] We should all remember to define which God we talk about before writing "God is...". Even if you consider not believing in your God to be blasphemy, at least do it to avoid misunderstandings.

The Christian God is "almighty" and thus must also be the cause of evil, even if you may claim that it is indirectly.

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Yes, although I cannot believe that God is so vain that he had to make himself look good.

Mankind being the cause of evil is the most likely. God did create free-will, which leads human prejudice and fanaticism to the surface.

17. Morgoth

Media:
    Might be, although I never seen a "good" action.

Define good, selflishness?

Every action is based upon the survival of one's entity, be it soul, mind or body..
    The fact that you try to steer away from evil shows that you are trying to save your own soul.

Every action I do is selfish, to make the next day, enjoy life and to clear the path for the next generation..
    The fact that lot's of people benefit from my actions is that I want to enjoy life, I can't enjoy life by walking over other's dead bodies

18. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The answer is pretty straight forward isn't it? It depends.

It depends on whether or not you believe in God and the bible or not.

Clearly if you don't, then there is no God to be responsible.

Clearly if you do, then he must be responsible since he created it all? Sure Satan gets the credit in most places here, but is he not a fallen angel?

My answer therefore is No and Yes. Trust that helps ;)

19. Morgoth

Media:
    Actually the question is if an evil entity or thing exist

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31

That's something we will never know i guess. Not unless it shows itself to the world. There are some people who think they saw entities at a certain point in their life, and they usually end up in the nuthouse. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.