1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Arcanum worth it?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Firestorm, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Is it good? 'Cause im thinking of buying it, and i wanted to know if it is worth it,

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I dont know if its any good by im also thinking about buying it. I asked the same question in the bored... topic and noone answered. But i havent seen Extremist and i guess he is off playing it so it cant be that bad :rolling:

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I will download the Demo and try it out!

4. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I bought it, and I think it's worth my money. There are some complains about the combat on some boards, and not everything is that well balanced. Guns are weaker magic for example, but I guess it's hard to balance those without making them more powerfull. You can choose turn based as well as real time combat, but both are not as good as you would like. Ranged combat is hard to do, because there is no auto pause option and critters are on the other side of the screen in a second. In turn based the action points costs are devided poorly. You can run two screens in one turn, but only strike twice for exmaple.

The story in arcanum is unique and good, and can measure up to the quality of the baldur's gate games. The game is big enough to value your money, if you do all the quests and explore all dialogue, I guess you can get up to 120 hours of gameplay, not even taking the replayability with all those different kinds of variants into account.

There were some reviews linked somewhere on this board, so you can form your own opinion about it. Got some for ya here:
    www.terra-arcanum.com
    http://sierrastudios.com/games/arcanum/

If you like the RPG's on these boards, arcanum will not disappoint you as a roleplayer. Battle is just not so good as you would like it to be.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Arcanum is already classic.
    Buy it without questions.

Bugs? I haven't seen any yet. Although I've just started it... I played it at least 20 hours - but no bugs??? I guess someone lies or I was just lucky.

Only one thing sux with it. Manual. It is too big, but it doesn't contain all details.
    I suggest you download some FAQs from www.terra-arcanum.com

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've played it just a little (I've just gotten rid of the thugs blocking the bridge out of the first town you go to) but it looks like it'll be a good story. Everywhere I look there are these people trying to kill me and they're all wearing this amulet with a pentagram on it...

I don't really like the combat as much as the Infinity Engine games I've played, especially the fact that I really have no control over my followers. This guy is about to die, and I want him to run away, so I tell him to stop attacking. Well, he stops attacking allright, but instead of running away he just stands there asking to be beaten to a pulp!

The only bug I've had so far was the animation window would freeze up after a little while of playing and I'd have to quit the game to get it working again (and it takes SO long for the game to load and start running). But there's a "safe mode" version of the game executable included, and that seems to have solved my graphics problem...

The manual is indeed very poor. Lots of words, but very little concrete information.

7. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Guns are weaker than magic?? I object!!
    Im playing a techie now, level 36 firearms master. Guns are king! Combined with high dexterity you can hit and run all day with a looking glass rifle. Although i would say magic is damn cool too. Magic users have little need for items and bullets, but the trade off is that you can't aim with magic (headshots galore baby! my average accuracy is 200%), and enemies can have magic resistance + resistance due to technology.

I played without the patch till level 30. Then the game crashed every few steps I took. So I installed the patch. Now my looking glass rifle deals 10-30 damage instead of 40-40 (sobs).

8. Azirath Gems: 6/31

Definetly worth it. I completely love it, it may not be my fav game, but it is up there in my top ten, and the story is comparable to PT (or those of you who don't know in my opinion pt has the best storyline ever in any game).

9. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

And the best part about it is that you can have a DOG as an NPC!

edit> And about the combat - yes it's not as good as Infintry Engine games, but there isn't much combat. It's pretty much like PS:T...
    Right now I'm a charismatic leader/persuayer(sp?) and I havn't fought one big battle yet. I solve all the quests by talking :).

[This message has been edited by Vicsun (edited October 04, 2001).]

10. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Thanks all. You've almost got me convinced. But i am wondering if i should buy PoR instead any feedback here?

11. Azirath Gems: 6/31

I just bought PoR, and frankly it is so damn buggy, more than arcanum definetly, that it is neraly unplayable. And the patch just as with arcanum does little...

12. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well I just installed it yesterday, and I had a few problems getting it up and running. It didn't take too long, but the first time I played it was very herky jerky and the sound skipped alot. Might have been because I didn't reboot after installing directx 8 though. So far the only character I've met looks like he's well detailed and interesting, so I hope it holds up. The story is interesting. I hate the combat, with a passion no less. I can't figure out how to pause the game even, and last night I spent more time trying to learn how to navigate all the menues than playing. If the manual was a bit more detailed in getting you acquainted with how to play, it would have been better. For how wordy it is, the manual has remarkably little to say. However, I did really like the description of the demihuman races from the Arcanum point of view. That was about it and it looks like it will take me a while to get used to the gameplay. I don't like how much stuff there is to pick up. I don't know what's junk and what will be useful. Character creation is interesting with tons of ways to customize a character. The graphics look ok so far at best, but they definately don't take away from the game. And my favorite gripe about Arcanum: no fog of war. I hate not being able to scroll the map more than a few feet from my character. I'd rather have most of the screen blacked out before it is explored than the way it is now. But all in all, the game has a lot of potential. If I can figure out the game play and it runs a bit better the next time I play it, I will likely be very happy with the game. After all, there is only so much IE game set in Faerun that I can handle;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.