1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IRAs vs. 401ks

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    *sigh*

All this SS talk has got me thinking about how I'm planning for my own retirement. Currently, I invest in a 401k plan, but I don't have an IRA. Someone recently suggested to me to consider getting an IRA, and I actually am considering it. I always considered IRAs were for people who were considerably older than me, who hadn't put enough away earlier in their lives and were attempting to "catch up" by investing more now. I have to assume that this analysis is flawed in some way.

So what do other people do? If I'm investing a good chunk of my income into a 401k do I really need an IRA? Do I want an IRA? Is an IRA really a good long term alternative to a 401k, or is it merely a solid addition to a 401k? Any suggestions here would be great.

2. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I'd guess the answer is probably - it depends.

Is your 401k matching? How much do you make and how much do you have to invest? How much money do you make now? How much money do you anticipate having in the future? Will you ever need to access your funds for purposes other than retirement?(med bills, house, etc.)

If you aren't making too much money, and an IRA would be right for you, you may consider a Roth IRA vs. a traiditional IRA (can you do both? I don't think so but may be wrong.) I read recently (USA Today a few days ago actually) that a max contribution to a RothIRA from now if you're 30 until age...65 I think, and assuming an average of something like 7 or 8% ends up with something like 970,000 when you take it out. Given that with a RothIRA you would be able to withdraw that money tax free, yeah, it could be worth it. If you need it, etc.

I believe with a traditional IRA, you reduce your taxes now but pay taxes on the full amount when you take it out. With a Roth, I believe you don't get to take a deduction now but when you take the money out you don't pay any taxes on any of the money, including the earned interest which may be significant.

I'm not aware of any drawbacks to having an IRA in addition to a 401k, but I certainly could be missing something.

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Having not kept up with recent tax code, I am not certain of the limits on placing money in both an IRA and a 401k. Additionally, the Roth IRA and Educational IRA add complexity to this equation.

For young people, if you can afford it, you are usually better served by putting enough in your 401k to maximize your employer matching (if your employer doesn't match, their 401k is probably not your best bet) and then place the rest of what you can afford in a Roth IRA. You have to look at the impact of paying your taxes now, and avoiding having to pay them (on the amount placed in the Roth and the returns!) when you retire as you can in a Roth. The advantage to a 401k is that you defer payment of taxes until you are more likely in a lower tax bracket, as most people retire to a lower income than they currently make.. However younger you are, the more a Roth pays off, as you earn tax free returns, and often young people have lots of write offs, such as children and a heavy mortgage with lots of interest, so their tax burden may not be that high anyway. Even if you rent and have no children, you should look at your capacity to support your tax burden today, rather than putting it off to retirement, when you may not have the ability to support it.

The difficult part of a Roth for young people is that they usually aren't willing to forego the current tax write-off for a benefit that is decades down the road.

I would suggest googling Roth IRA, you will find lots of good info from reputable sites.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is no limit whatsoever regarding how much you can contribute to 401Ks and IRAs with respect to eachother. They are completely separate, with separate yearly limits, but with a Traditional IRA, how much of your contribution you can deduct from your taxes depends on whether you're covered by a retirement plan (such as a 401k).

A 401k has a much, much higher yearly limit on how much you can contribute (last year it was $13,000 pre-tax including what your company matches). You should always contribute AT LEAST what you have to to get the maximum company match, because the company matching is free money. This money, and the money you make from the investments is not taxed until you withdraw it. You can also contribute after-tax dollars up to a total contribution of something like $40,000. There are of course rules and penalties for withdrawing money before retirement age that I won't go into.

IRAs are a little more complicated.

You can have as many IRAs as you want, of either Roth or Traditional types, but the yearly limit applies to the combination of all of them. Last year the maximum contribution to IRAs was $3000, so if for example you have two IRAs and wanted to deposit the maximum you could last year, you could split the $3000 any way you wanted between the two accounts.

Then IRAs get even more complicated, because the contribution rules depend on how much your Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) is.

For Traditional IRAs, you can always contribute up to the yearly maximum. Depending on your MAGI, (and whether you're single or married, filing single or jointly and/or covered by a retirement plan) you may be able to deduct some of this contribution on your tax return. This limit is modestly low if you're already covered by a retirement plan (at above $40,000 for a single (i.e. unmarried) individual covered by a retirement plan you can deduct none of your contribution). There are additional rules about withdrawing money from the IRA, but the main thing is that you pay no taxes on the money in the account until you withdraw it, so if you were able to take the deduction on the contribution, you are deferring paying tax on that money until much later in life (where you likely have a much lower income level). Also, regardless of whether you could deduct the contributions, any gains from the investment of your contributions are not taxed until you withdraw it. There are rules and penalties for withdrawing money before retirement age that I won't go into.

For a Roth IRA, how much you are allowed to contribute each year depends on your MAGI and your filing status (single, married filing separately, married filing jointly). For a single person you can contribute the maximum until you reach $95,000. Between $95,000 and $110,000 the amount you can contribute decreases in a linear fashion until above $110,000 you can contribute nothing. When withdrawing money from a Roth IRA, you are not taxed, so all the money you made from the investment of the contributions to the Roth IRA is tax free (you were already taxed on the contributions). There are also rules and penalties for withdrawing money before retirement age (though IIRC you can withdraw the money without penalty to buy a house).

So, all these vehicles are useful, and I contribute the maximum I can every year to both. ($13,000 401k and $3000 IRA last year).

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why are financial matters SO complicated in the USA? I thought I was quite au fait with financial jargon but it's like you guys are talking a foreign language. No wonder you have to pay someone to do your tax returns.

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hell, Aldeth, I just turned 25 and I'm already thinking about how to invest for my retirement... although thankfully it's not that complicated in Australia.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I guess I need to give some background information here so people can more fully answer my question. First the basics - I'm nearly 31, married, with no children (at least not yet). The 401k plan I have at work the company matches up to 5% of your annual income, and matches nothing after 5%. So for me, I contribute 5% of my annual earnings into the 401k so that I get the maximum employer contribution. My company would allow me to invest more than 5% of my income into the 401k, they just don't match beyond 5%. So in essense, I'm contributing 10% of my annual income in the 401k (5% from me, 5% from my company).

On the other hand, I am contributing absolutely nothing into any type of IRA. However, as BTA says, I'm limited to $3000 annually, which seems like not very much at all. Granted with interest every year, that can turn out to be a lot when I retire 35 years from now. Still, with a $3000 annual maximum, it seems like I will always be contributing significantly more to my 401k than to my IRA.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The IRA limits have been increasing every year (this year it is $4000), and Roth IRAs are great if you have the money to spare and can contribute.

Why do you only contribute enough to your 401k to get the max company matching? The dollars you put in there are pre-tax dollars, so you can reduce your tax burden by contributing now and deferring your tax payment on the money until after you retire.

Of course, if you don't have the money to spare...

Here are the main similarities/differences between a 401k, a Traditional IRA and a Roth IRA.

401k: Pre-tax dollars up to $13,000 (and this can increase from year to year I think it's $14,000 this year), post-tax dollars up to the total max contribution allowed (somewhere around $40,000), pre-tax dollars and any growth from investments are tax-deferred until you take the money out during retirement.

Traditional IRA: Most similar to the 401k, though to have pre-tax dollars can be tough if you have a 401k and make a reasonable living. Limit is $3000 ($4000 this year) amongst ALL your IRAs, both Traditional and Roth. Like the 401k the pre-tax dollars, and any growth from investments are tax-deferred until you take the money out during retirement.

Roth IRA: Always post-tax dollars, but any growth from investments is tax-free, not tax-deferred. Limit as above in the Traditional IRA.

Of course all the rules and so forth complicate the picture, but those are the main ideas behind them.

But remember, pre-tax dollars can be an important way to reduce your tax burden now.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks for starting this thread, Aldeth. Lots of good stuff to chew on here.

I myself had my 401k maxed out at my job when I was full time (in school again, so I'm back down to part time) and yes, my employer did match it. They were actually surprised that I wanted to invest in a 401k at all - let alone max it out - given my age (23 then, 25 now). Evidently, people in their twenties even thinking about retirement savings are a rarity here in the states. Not that I'm surprised, really - but it is interesting.

Once I graduate, finding an employer who matches the 401k is definitely a priority for me. I'll be getting an IRA as well. I don't know much about mutual funds, but after the big scandal that happened last year, I'm not too sure I want to even go there.

Then again - perhaps now firms that manage mutual funds are taking extra care to be on the up-and-up because of those scandals, so as not to scare off guys like me. Know anything about them, BTA?

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    About mutual funds? Well, all my investment money is in mutual funds (both retirement accounts and my own personal brokerage account).

Mutual funds are perfect for the lazy investor (though you can't be too lazy). Basically you're paying someone knowledgeable (supposedly) to manage your money for you, or you're buying a basket of stocks and/or bonds identical to one of the major indexes (e.g. S&P 500).

If you buy an index fund, you pay less because there is less managing, and a lot of people recommend that because there are lots and lots of funds that don't beat the indexes, and yet you're still paying more for them.

How much you pay for your fund is really important because it affects your return. You pay whether your fund gains or loses, and if your fund does worse or just a little bit better than a cheaper fund... well you get the picture.

The recommendation I hear all the time (and what I do) is never pick a fund that has a load associated with it (i.e. pick a no-load fund). When this cost is taken into account, it is a rare loaded fund that outperforms a similar no-load fund.

After that, you want to look at the management fees and expense ratios. I never pick anything higher than 1%.

And of course you want to look at what type of mutual fund it is (large, mid, low, micro cap; growth, value, blend) , what stocks they are holding, how it has performed, and decide how risky you want to be.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm still not really clear on what either a 401k or an IRA is. Why don't you guys give them simpler names? Like "Pension" or something, so we can understand.

In New Zealand, life is much less complicated. You save for your own retirement. If you end up retiring really poor, the government will give you enough so you don't starve. Otherwise you live off whatever you have saved. You can save however you want (cash, buying rental properties, shares, unit trusts, life insurance, pension plans, etc) but the principles are more or less the same. No funny acronyms or numbers here.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    401k refers to the tax code paragraph where the rules are laid out I believe. Both 401ks and IRAs (Individual Retirement Accounts) are special investment accounts specifically designed for saving for retirement whereby you get some tax benefit for saving money for your retirement. That's all.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Because we're America, dammit. Simple is for wussies.

:p

Thanks BTA - good stuff to chew on. By the way - when did you start investing? How old were you? (you don't have to aswer if you'd like to keep your age top secret or something).

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I started investing in my 401k as soon as I could when I started work. I started my Roth IRA and my personal brokerage account around 5 years ago after I bought my house and had money building up in my savings account. I started my Traditional IRA two years ago when I could no longer contribute the maximum to my Roth IRA. I'm 37 now.

15. Harbourboy

Man. There's more than one type of "IRA"? So let me get this straight. In order to simply save for your retirement, you have to save money in four places:
    1) A 401 grand;
    2) a Tim Roth IRA;
    3) a personal brokerage account; and
    4) a traditional IRA.

Anyway, what I do understand is that you have been taking personal responsibility for your retirement savings since a reasonably young age. That should be applauded strongly as it is all to rare in today's consumer-driven, debt complacent western society.

All the youngsters on SP should take note and follow Blackthorne TA's example.

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about the Irish Republican Army. Or, 'scum', as they are better known.

Having read it, I'm not actually sure what it's about.

Meh, don't tax my brain like this on a hungover morning please.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Some quick definitions.

401K- This is a payroll deduction. You select how much you want to contribute and your employer contracts with an investment house to give you choices on how to invest the money. The money that you contribute is excluded from your taxable income. Most companies usually offer some sort of a match to the money you put in. Upon retirement as you take the money out it is taxable income to you (both the principal and interest)

IRA- Individual Retirement Account- Has nothing to do with the employer. However, you have to have earned income (wages) as opposed to unearned income (investment) to contribute to one. The money you put in may or may not be a reduction of your taxable income when you file your annual tax return. It all depends on your situation. When you retire the interest is always taxable and the principal may be taxable depending on if you got a reduction of your taxable income when you contributed the money.

Roth IRA- Similar to an IRA, with some key differences. Contributions are never a reduction of your taxes, but upon retirement both the principal and interest are tax free.

The advice I give people is to always max your 401K to get the maximum employer match. Then you should max out your contributions to a Roth Ira. If you still have additional funds that you want to contribute you should increase the 401K.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As Snook points out, the big reason people are encouraged to start investing as early as possible are two fold. First, the longer you invest for, the more interest you will earn over the life of that investment. Someone who starts a 401k or a Traditional IRA at age 25 will likely have more money saved for retirement than someone who starts at 35, even if the 35 year old puts more in the 401k every year.

The second factor is a tax break. Any money you place into a 401k or IRA is considered "pre-tax" meaning it's like you never earned that money when calculating your taxes at the end of the year. For example, if you earn $50,000 in a year, and contribute $5,000 of that money into a 401k plan, you are only taxed as if you earned $45,000.

19. Harbourboy

Huge problem in USA, UK, and NZ is the lack of personal savings of any form. Anything to encourage more savings should be applauded. Far too many people have large credit card balances instead of large retirement nest eggs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.