1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Iraqi soldiers surrender!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] The army divisions in Iraque consist of about 8,000 soldiers each. Ours are about 15,000. The difference in technology between them and the US soldiers is simply astounding. I think we take for granted and under-estimate our military power and prowess. Their soldiers had pistols and t-shirts; and thats it, nothing else(at least most of them). Our soldiers have Much more advanced supplies and equipment. Anyways, on topic many of the Iraqei soldiers were lead to surrender and their lives were spared. We told them "don't die for nothing, but live and help build up Iraque". I think that is a good thing!

[ March 23, 2003, 19:50: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    And even while the Iraqi 51st Division was tucking into a delicious meal of MRE's, the Iraqi information minister was praising their ongoing efforts on the battlefield! :grin: :lol: :shake:

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

As far as the 51st Iraqi division is concerned, Aljazeera has reported that this unit had never reached a divisional status and the number of the troops, who surrendered, was 300. This seems to be confirmed by General Frank, who said that the iraqi POWs are almost 2000. Also, I heard in the news today that the commander of this unit gave an interview to iraqi tv.

So, nobody can tell what is happening there, since the both sides are fighting a propaganda war as well.

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It is difficult to determine exact numbers and I wouldn't draw any conclusions on how many troops have surrendered based on how many POW's there are BOC. My understanding is that with many of the surredered troops who aren't of the hardened variety, they take their weapons and then say, "ok, go home." If they are doing that, then the number of pow's will be markedly different from the number of troops who have surrendered.

EDIT - I would agree it is too early to be certain of any information.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

What's really going to stir up trouble is if we (basically, the United States and Britan, with some Spanish in there too) setup any kind of pseudo-democracy.

Even the people in the cities are rationed pretty hard. The guys living outside of them have absolutely nothing to loose, and everything to gain. A couple bottles of water is more than that used to get in 2002.

And if (when) the US pumps quite a bit of money into the economy and education systems, I'll bet the word will spread around. Women being required to learn organic chemistry and marine biology and whatnot.

I'm guessing the other nations in the area will feel the pressure from Iraq. I'm guessing there will be a massive influx of "immigrants" into the area, and Iran and Saudia Arabia will have to setup mine fields and barbed wire on their borders to stop people from leaving.

It's like people popping and hopping across the Mexican-US border. It's crazy kind of one way; well, actually two way because they usually just work here for a few weeks, then take that money back south of the border, but you get my meaning.

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Laches

It would be a fatal mistake for every army just to disarm enemy troops and then let them free before the war is over, since these troops could participate in future battles. What may had happened is that many of the iraqi troops just deserted and of course this doesn't make them a part of the number of the troops who surrendered.

7. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Maybe it's stupid, but that's part of what they're doing. Now, in fairness, I suspect that the are just disarming and sending away the fellas who were obviously rounded up and forced to be in the army against their will without pay. I've seen a couple of pictures of those guys, and dressed like military personnel they are not.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"and dressed like military personnel they are not"

A scant few, are.

That IS the point. Black pajamas, going barefoot, and hiding in hooches.

There is a quote, that is relavent, but I'm not sure how many will understand it:
    Well-disciplined Baath Supporter?

B.S.?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.