1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Interracial relationships - still taboo?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cúchulainn, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was just reading up on the the US political ads and came accross the following:

I am surprised that this is still an issue for some people. What are your views on interracial (or 'multi-cultural for lack of a better phrase) relationships? Personally I don't think its a big deal as I always preferred foreign women to locals as they usually have different attitudes and learning about other cultures is something that interests me.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    First of all, this was an attack ad, a smear campaign designed to take votes away from Hal Ford.

I think with a lot of related issues, including gay relationships and the like, the level of acceptance decreases with age. The younger you are, the more likely you are to see no problem with it. I think the number of inter-racial couples in the populace bears this out as well. While inter-racial couples are by no means common in the U.S., the ones you see are generally younger people, in their 20s and 30s. I've never seen an inter-racial senior citizen couple for example. Of course, I don't see any problem with this at all.

As an aside, Ford's response to the ad was great. In the seemingly never-ending parade of Republicans being found out as closet-homosexuals, he simply said, "Well, I can't deny it - I like women."

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have a problem with such spots. I don't have a problem with interracial relationships and I just don't get the race thing when dealing with people. When they make spots like that, they drag both races down. Whites in the most generic, direct sense. Blacks more subtly, by implying they actually are worse than whites but she be embraced, elevated to the white level and whatnot. Bull****. People are just people.

Another thing I have a problem with is all the crap talk about interracial marriages being oh so superior to the selfish white-and-white or miserable black-and-black marriages. Whatever. Why the heck marry the person at all if you see him or her as someone you still need to elevate to your level or especially accept into your oh-so-open-minded world. Blaaah. Can't we just throw away all the racism and all the affirmative actions and just move on? :rolleyes:

Gay relationships are a whole different thing altogether, though, and there's no analogy.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Couple of things.

The only white people who consider inter-racial relationships taboo are the knuckle-dragging hyper-conservative xenophobic ones. As I'm currently a white people dating a non-white people in a very conservative community, and I have yet to find a burning cross on my lawn, this is not a problem for mainstream America.

That said, I've seen the ad in question. It's a very partisan ad designed to persuade no one, but rather to remind the far-right conservative base to get out and vote. Considering whom this ad was designed to appeal to, it should pretty accurately tell you who the Republicans consider to be their base. It was the National Republican Committee who put out that ad - not some obscure candidate. Distancing the party at large from the ad is impossble - hence the flimsy mea culpa.

Mehlman deserves no more credit for his apology than does a caught thief who apologizes for stealing. He's only sorry because it backfired and they've gotten a slew of negative press about it. There's nothing ambiguous about the ad, so a negative reaction can't possibly have been a surprise. If Republicans weren't in danger of taking such a hit in this election, there's no way he would have even mentioned it.

I don't believe the Democrats are going to make nearly as big a sweep as some are predicting (in fact, I'll be shocked if they break even). But this has got to be one of the most negative campaign seasons I think I've ever heard of, and the vitriol is overwhelmingly coming from the Republican side this season. Since I just moved from Chicago back to Texas within this campaign season, I've seen an interesting variety of political ads from two very different parts of the country, and have been sent ads from friends in Idaho, California, Tenessee and New Jersey and one thing is clear: the Republicans are very worried about this election, if the tone of their ads are any indication.

:2c:

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I don't have the shadow of a problem with interracial relationships whatsoever. I had a few, err, exotic (I guess that's how it would be called) woman in my life, and those were very enriching experiences, and I've learned a lot from being immersed into a different culture. There's more to the world than our own culture.

Besides, my special little someone is an exotic woman.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

An interracial couple is something to look twice at, since it's not that common in white-bread Wisconsin, but nobody around here has any problem with it at all. And personally, I'm happy for people who are able to break the race barrier to find love.

Although this may just be an unfair generalization from a time since past, I wouldn't be surprised if interracial marriages were looked down on in the South. Though "South" mostly means 'southeast' or 'redneck country'. :shake: Somewhere around Louisiana is the western cutoff, I think. Places further west, like Texas or California, never had the pre-Civil-War Southern mentality about blacks to preserve in the first place because they weren't states then. And, of course, things do change...

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Um, pretty much, no. That doesn't mean it's something you see every day, of course.

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You'd be suprized by the people who disapprove of interracial relations. A lot of young professional, educated whites in the Northern States for whatever still do have an issue with it. Now mind you these people will never come out an admit this to a relative stranger, but you listen to the subtleties in their speach, it's quite clear where they stand. I've also had women I know, who fall in this category make racial slurs about non-white women and derogatory statements about interracial relations when I've expressed that a "colored" woman was attractive.

When you're relatively young, but haven't been raised with minorities, these people only know they are not suppose to be racist, but haven't had the interracial communication to show them the actual flaws in racism.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    While interracial relationships should *not* be an issue anymore...they still are...but people won't say anything about it because the public in general believe in equal human rights. Hell, I know a few older men that still think that women shouldn't have the right to vote, drive, or have other equal rights! :eek:

I think the main problem here is that there are still many people that grew up during the civil rights movement back in the '60s and were either against it personally, or were raised with parents who were against it...and unfortunately, they still have their old beliefs in the back of their heads. :bad:

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a proven fact that multi-raced women look a hell of a lot better than any "pure-bred" (hopefully not in-bred :p ) race. I used to work with a girl whose mom was from Peru and her dad was from the Czech Republic...and if her head wasn't so clouded by religion, she would be the next Miss Universe! :love:

It's all about diversity here people...Diversity is a good thing and people need to pull their heads out of their a**es and realize it! :D :rolling:

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We never had any issues with racism, however any advertisement that uses couples always features a black guy and a white blonde girl. I have no idea why.

While I say we don't really have a problem with racism, we stil have a problem with Irish travellers. My grandmother was a pavee so some people can spot this from my features and call me a 'gypsie', 'pikey' or whatever. People would never try to fight me as Pavee's supposed to be expert boxers and carry shotguns in their caravans (though I live in a house and don't live near nay pavees). I blame old Irish movies and Brad Pitt for reinforcing old stereotypes.

While it might be a 'curse' with certain people here, it just adds to my appeal abroad so no complaints!

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...one of my dad's very good friends is married to a Swiss woman, a cousin of mine is engaged to an American man...and I've dated girls from "multi-cultural" backgrounds...so no, I don't think there is any particular taboo.

Especially among younger people, such as university students. That's what I am at the moment... :D

12. Deadman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sorry, but I don't agree with interracial relationships. I'm a british asian man and I certainly would not go out with a white woman. I think its best if each race sticks to their own. If both parties are of different religions how would they get along ? Besides I'm sure every parent want their kids to be accepted for who they are, not despised for what they are. It may work if both parties are of the same religion. A muslim turk or bosnian could marry a british white christian simply because they are both the same skin colour. I'm a bit suprised by the views supporting interracial relationships, but each to their own I guess. But if these things work for you then good luck to you.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

My...how very Medieval of you...

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I dare say most of my relationships have been with people of a different ethnic origin. Race is simply not a factor for me although I admit I can't find myself ever attracted to a black african simply because I don't find them attractive.
    We're talking about different races, not religions. I guess we can assume there are no other conflicts aside from racial backgrounds. As for parents wanting their children to be accepted for who they are, uh, isn't that the basis of not looking at somebody's race as a partner in a romantic relationship?

I don't consider race at all when looking at a potential romantic interest. I have found that on average I'm more attracted to people of a different ethnic background to myself, at least physically and sometimes personality wise.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's true. Although here is one thing that I find strange. From my personal experience it seems like areas that are more racially diverse are also areas where there is more racism. That doesn't make sense to me. Racism is, for the most part, a result of unfounded thoughts and fears. I would like to think that if you lived in a multi-racial area, your exposure to people of other races would make you more accepting of them. However, it seems the opposite is true. My home town in Pennsylvania was probably 90% white, and racism was a non-issue. I now live near Baltimore where it's about a 50-50 split between white and black (although there are still some smaller communities where people are almost exclusively white or exculsively black). Racism tendencies seem to be much more rampant in Maryland than Pennsylvania, although you would think "fear of the unknown" would be more prevalent in Pennsylvania.

This is kind of what I was referring to as well. The areas where the civil rights movement was the most violent were areas where the black population was signifcant, and in some cases, larger than the white population. Perhaps it is because of lingering memories of these events that we see a greater amount of racism in these areas.

16. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't know if this is exactly what you are taking about Aldeth, but from my personal experience, there are two types (at least) or racism. Racism amongst wealthy white people generally stems from the fear of physical harm or theft, they're afraid of what can be done to them (and the media doesn't help them rectify this fear).

As for heavily diverse areas, the white people in those areas generally tend to be poorer and the racism isn't generated by fear of harm, but instead intense economic competition. Hence racism is formed because people are looking out for their own and black people are visibly different from them. Racism in this situation often helps foster better economic opportunity for whites seeing as how most employers are white; create a racism evnvironment and the employers almost have to hire white.

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Taboo? That depends, I am sure, on where one lives.

Personally, I dont care. If the two (or more? :p ) adventurers can work past the differences... can live with bypassers gawking and awkward incidences, neighbours gossiping, parents fretting... Sure, why not.

It is hardly a taboo around here. And while I suspect for the majority to not exactly encourage such relationships - mostly cuz there is little faith in their future - it is preferable to the kind of trouble you can get into for pursuing the daughters of other "races". And as such it is not too rare a sight for German women to have non-German partners... but you will be hard pressed to find couples with the genders reversed.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Guess I'm a knuckle-head then, because I have problem with one race. I can't accept women marrying african men, although everything else is OK (asian x western x european x arab x whatever). Why? Two reasons: 1) tribe-feelings, and 2) africans haven't really achieved anything in their home-countries.

You can't do anything to feelings, since it simply feels taboo. It's there even if you ignore the taboo-breakers, so don't expect me to be their best friend. As to the cultural thing... Well; most countries have achieved something during their history and are developing, but if you look at the history of africans, you see that they have been the bottom of the barrel for centuries.

You might argue against this by claiming it were the whites who enslaved them and set them back by two thousands years, like a certain person did on another board. I don't buy this argument, since the reason why they were so easily enslaved was that they were very underdeveloped. In fact, they still mostly live in huts while the rest of the world lives the 21 century. Then african immigration floods should be just accepted? No. Not until they have a culture that can be respected instead of a culture of leeching the winners.

Don't forget that the africans aren't any fairer either. Remember that they recently robbed the lands of all white land-owners, in Africa, simply because they were white. Ironically, because they now lack the expertise to produce high-quality goods, they are actually poorer than before and rely on commercial "fair trade" schemes to make up the extra costs. :shake:

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Wordplay,

You specifically mentioned african men marrying white women. Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way if an african woman married a white man?

Also, when you say african do you mean specifically from Africa or of African ancestry? For example, what about a black man born in the U.S. whose family history in the states dates back to the days of slavery?

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Aldeth

No, the reverse does not hold true. I have no qualms against white men marrying african women. I didn't say it was a logical thing. Sounds hypocritical, I know, but emotions are tricky things. I have been thinking about it, but it's not a thing I can reason with.

By africans I mean those that that are a) black, and b) african lineage one way or another. Mind, though, that I'm talking solely about relationships, so even if my boss was a succesful african, I wouldn't mind. In fact, married african men would be more welcome than singles.

Sounds strange, I know, hehe. But I'm sure I'm not alone with this thing. :square:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.