1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Interesting Quotes from Lee Iacocca

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, May 22, 2007.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes, he's pimping a book, but when I received an email with some pretty strong and harsh criticism, I looked it up on Snopes and it is what he said. I'll reproduce some of it and link to the snopes site with the rest of the excerpt:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/iacocca.asp

[ May 22, 2007, 23:43: Message edited by: dmc ]

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree with every word of it, but I can only cynically shrug.

The people who need to listen to this never will, and everyone else already agrees. The right will brand him a left-wing extremist who's just trying to sell a book and should therefore be ignored, and the left will nod in agreement as yet another American icon speaks truth (common sense, obvious truth) to power.

He'll sell a few books, life will go on, but unfortunately I don't think he'll change anyone's mind. Sigh.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I, too, agree with Iacocca. I don't know how many people he will reach and of those how many will listen.

Gone to the barbecue; gone to the ballgame or maybe just taking a nap.

Where have all the voters gone? Not to the polls that's for sure. If we don't demand that our leaders be answerable to us we deserve what we get. Freedom is not free. We have to work at it and be ever vigilant. It isn't the enemies of freedom from outside our borders we need to worry about the most but the ones we elect to protect our freedom. That is why our Founding Fathers considered a free press essential.

Where have all the reporters gone? Gone for free popcorn and beer.

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Man, I'm feeling overwhelmed by the cynicism and fatalism here, and look at my name! :lol:

I'm impressed with Lee, but as my two antecedents have intimated, yelling 'the emperors have no clue!' isn't going to get anything done. Actions speak louder than words; if you want things fixed, run for office yourself. (I can't; the big seat that needs to be filled by a different sort of person is native-born American only, and je suis Canadien. :heh: )

"Twelve clowns are performing in a ring; you can jump in the middle and start reciting Shakespeare, but to the audience, you're just the thirteenth clown." (gotta find the attribution for that; read it in a Reader's Digest years and years ago)

But just remember:
    -People are sheep; and the sensible people didn't bother to get hold of the shepherd's crooks...
    -Everything is getting worse.
    -People in power do what they must to stay in power.
    -Everything man-made breaks or fails; including promises.

(DR/Nak - I'll send you your Inner Cynicâ„¢ membership cards as soon as I can ;) )

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Voting doesn't matter in the presidential race anyways, so it wouldn't matter if nobody voted at all. If nobody voted, I guess they would consider it a tie and throw it into the House of Reps, which is even more undemocratic than the normal Electoral College.

In any case, I agree with those sentiments (by Lee).

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually it does. Florida proved that. It decides who are in the Electoral College. It is true that a president could still get a minority of popular votes but get a majority of Electoral votes.

I may be a cynic but I'm not a fatalist.

Unfortunately Iacocca is a little too old to run for President and so am I; especially since I'd have to start at the bottom and work my way up.

Remember: Silence may be golden but it also is a form of agreement. Thus making it golden for those who want you to shut up and agree with them.

If our leaders are clowns that isn't what I hired them to be so I might not start reciting Shakespeare but I might start throwing rotten eggs.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, Lee was from the area where I grew up, and so I'm probably one of relatively few people who remember that Lee in fact *did* run for President once all those years ago. Of course, if I wasn't from PA, I probably wouldn't remember since I was just a kid at the time. Truth be told, prior to reading dmc's post, I wasn't sure if Lee was still alive!

Having said that, it should be pointed out that Lee is a Republican. Most people on these boards are too young to remember that he received some political appointements during the Reagan era. He also supported Bush in the 2000 election, however he supported Kerry in the 2004 election. So he certainly should not be characterized as a left-wing liberal, considering that most of his adult life he has been Republican leaning - I don't know if that makes his statements carry more weight or not.

Ah, if it were only so simple. While the Constitution states that you only need to meet three qualifications to run for president: 1.) native born American 2.) 35 years old 3.) lived at least 14 years of your adult life in the U.S., the fact remains that there are other requirements to meet if you actually want to have a shot at winning. For example, being a millionaire and being able to fund the begining parts of your campaign before the fund raising money starts to roll in really helps.

[ May 23, 2007, 14:59: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    So what you're saying is that the great unwashed masses, rather than speaking out/protesting/voting/not voting/etc should use their firearms to change politicos' minds one bullet at a time.

Right? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.