1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

information on shifters

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by timothy, Jan 9, 2004.

1. timothy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Could anyone tell me where i can find a good source of information about the capabilities of the various forms that shifter's get? 'm intrigued by the concept, but somewhat put off by the lack of hard info.

Thanks...

2. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Here

I looked on SP real quick and didn't see one, so I posted the one on gamefaqs. Hope that helps.

And to warn you be careful with shifter multiclassing, they will almost always get a 20% XP penalty, because when you shift you become that creature's race, which has a different favored class.

[ January 10, 2004, 22:00: Message edited by: fade ]

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

This is how fade should have created the link: look at the guide for shifters . I don't blame you, I probably would have made the link in the same manner you did.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

How would you go about making one? What stats would you give it and what levels? What race?

I was considering minimum druid which I think is 5 and then 10 shifter and the rest fighter. Perhaps a dwarf? or a human?

How would you go about it?

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Well, watch out when you take a race with stat bonusses/penalties. They disappear when you shift and could lower your stat if it isn't overwritten by the shape. I found this out the hard way with my Elven Druid/Shifter. I take as much and as soon as possible levels in Shifter until I reach dragon shape. Then I continue in Druid for added spellcasting. I put Str, dex and con at ten so as not to have a penalty when it's not overwritten. I put wisdom at max and raise it every chance I have. The rest is put in Int for skill points and Cha.

6. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

But there is a guide here at SP. It's called "Shifter FAQ".

Shifters are a very complex character...good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2017
  7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

The guide is great but it has sooo much information to go through.

@Meatdog.

Ok, in your estimation if I was to have more fighter than druid levels do you think that would be ok? I was not overly interested in spellcasting but making the shifted shapes more combat like. I was thinking of dwarf because it gets fighter as the favoured class and also because I like the concept of a shorty shapeshifting.

I was thinking Druid5/Shifter10 (or more?)/Fighterx. What is your verdict?

8. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Well, it doesn't sound so bad except for a stupid bug in the game engine. When you shift, you lose the favoured class of your original shape and get the one from the race shifted to. To avoid getting a xp penalty you should keep your fighter and druid levels within one level of each other. Now I also find it a waste to take Weapon Specialization with a shifter, so there is an easy solution to this, which only requires to "waste" a feat slot, but that is gained back in the long run. Just take Weapon Focus in a melee weapon (unarmed doesn't count as melee weapon somehow (another bug)) and take Champion of Torm levels instead of the fighter levels. It gives you the same number of feats (minus one for prerequisite) and the same choice but minus the Weapon Specialization. And if you're cha is higher then ten, you get some other nice bonusses from the Class. And since Champion of Torm is a prestige class, you don't have to worry about xp penalties.

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Thanks Meatdog. What if I was to take Dwarven Defender instead of Champion of Torm?

10. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

That would also work. I proposed Champion of Torm since I assumed you took the fighter levels for the extra feats. The DD has some nice features but you have to spend another feat more to get it. But if you're in it for the extra HP and BAB then definitely go for the DD.

11. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Shifters are just plainly cool!

I was thinking of one with mixture of a monk. Like a guy, training in the monastery for a while, but then sees his Abbot or another student torn asunder by a beast. Then he decides that human flesh is just simply too weak to provide means for his adventuring. So he travels into wilderness to learn the way of of shifting. So he takes a few druid levels, which offer a step-stone for his true profession - Shifter.
    Kinda more spiritual monk, focusing more on soul and mind (high Wis) instead of body, which is pretty much irrelevant.
    I havent figured the stats out yet. And i'll probably spend another month just casualy thinking about it until i perfect the idea.

Then i'll use him to wreak havoc on ALFA :grin:

12. Hacken Slash

Apparently this is a known bug that will be fixed in the next patch.

13. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

In order to get the Dragon SHape how many levels of Shifter do you need? Is it 20 or 17 plus Wisdom 30?

I have decided that Druid5/Shifter 20 or 17/Monk leftovers would be better than a Fighter or Dwarven Defender, but I never know until I do it.

14. Hacken Slash

Dragon Shape is an Epic Shifter feat. The requirements are 30WIS and Epic Character Level (21 or better). Those levels don't have to be all in shifter...so yeah, I think 17 would work.

Remember, you have to level up as a Shifter when you have an Epic feat due to you also.

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Shifters are like Arcane Archers, lots of planning required.

16. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Hacken Slash. What I want to know is exactly the needs for Dragon Shape. Would level 11 Shifter 5 Druid and 5 Fighter and 30 Wis work? I don't want to get other levels in shifter past the mimimum needed. If I can get Fighter levels and still eventually get Dragon Shapes later then that's fine. I only want the mimimum druid and shifter levels...

17. Hacken Slash

OK...Shifters still make my head spin...but as I understand it in order to take the Epic feat of Dragon shape you need 30 WIS and either Wildshape 6 times a day (druid 18+) or Greater Wildshape IV from shifter 11+, not to mention that your character level has to be 21 or better.

11 shifter, 5 druid and 5 fighter should work...but I'm not sure how you could be at 30WIS at that point (needing levels of Epic Wisdom). Just take 11 shifter, 4 fighter (why do you want 5) and the rest druid until you have pumped your wisdom to 30.

I hope this is right...I don't think the guys at Bioware even understand the Shifter...hence the silly XP penalty.

18. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Thanks for the advice. I wanted Shifter11/Druid5/Fighter x. So if I keep getting fighter levels, eventually more than 20 will I be able to get Dragon Shape?

I fiddled with a "character" maker type mod and I remember that I could not even get Undead or Construct Shape without Shifter 15, so I began to wonder...

Basically I want minimum levels of druid-shifter and the rest combat related.

19. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Can the WIS of 30 come from potions and the like or does it have to be your actual WIS score?

20. Hacken Slash

Khaz...did you have your wisdom levels high enough? I think the problem that you will run into are making the wis requirements, which do have to be base...not boosted by a potion or an item.

Assuming you set STR, DEX, and CON at 10 each, that will leave you 24 points to spread over INT, WIS, and CHA. If you really want to reach Dragon Form ASAP, you will need to raise WIS as high as you can...even if you start at 19 WIS and add all your bonus points to it when you level up, at Character level 20 you will still only be WIS 24.

You will need to take Epic Wisdom once before you can even take Undead, 3 times before you can take Construct, and 6 times!!! before you can take Dragon. That's 6 epic feats before you can take Dragon Shape...assuming you only take epic levels of Fighter, you'll be able to add to wisdom at L21, L24, L27, L30, L33, and L36...leaving you free to take Dragon shape at L39!!!

Everyway I've looked at it, it seems near impossible to get the Dragon shape...plus if you want a melee strong character you'll likely want to put some attribute points into STR and DEX so you can take feats like Power Attack, Cleave, Dodge and Mobility.

You may be trying the impossible!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.