1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Infinity Explorer - commercial

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Extremist, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] There's this tiny lil' util to download from Sorcerer's place here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_editors.php

As main collector of "IOW" plaques, I should really receive another one. I really thought this Infinity Explorer is just another cheating util so although I downloaded it long ago I never installed it. Until last nite. So, I admit: I'm more stupid then I thought I am!

And now, I'm :mad:. Nothing new...

Why noone told me that this util is for VIEWING AND EXTRACTING DATA ONLY and not for CHANGING DATA = CHEATING?
    I was sweating with my hex editor, and there is this util so easy to use with many things to see from inside the game. You don't know what pain is to get pointers in Infinity Engine files and then redirect your search now here, now there... A waste of time and infection for nerves I tellya. Should I say nice goodbye to my hex editor? Lemme see...

Based on my quick viewing on Infinity Explorer I found out that there are some things not included in it like exploring stores (?). Also, search for codes is not performed on all data in the game (?). Besides that, my hex editor is faster in search actions than this util. So, I'll still keep hex editor for some occasions. But for all of you out there that use hex editors to view or extract data from the Bioware Infinity Engine games:
    Infinity Explorer is just a must have util!

Hmmm, ain't this a nice spam? :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I do not think that was spamming. To some, it might be useful. I think that most of the stuff on Whatnots is a sort of spamming. I really have no need to post what country I am from, but since there is a thread about it and it is not closed I just do it even if I know that hardly anyone cares about it.

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hey Extremist, we would have told you earlier but you seemed to be having so much fun with Hex editors that it seemed a shame to spoil things ;)

Seriously though I didn't know you hadn't tried it. I assumed everyone with an interest in the game's working would have played around with it. Further, your obvious skill with hex editing (something I have almost no idea about other than it being something I didn't enjoy much when I had to do it as a student 20 years ago) and the extra abilities and flexability of working with pure hex code...... anyway you get the idea.

Sorry ;)

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Whoooooaw an adventurer. You used Hex editors at the age of 5 Slappy :cool: I dig it the most Baby

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Nope I wish :rolleyes: I was about 13 or 14 studying computer studies just as the home computer scene was starting with Sinclair ZX80s and 81s. A simpler happy time :)

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

My Senility again :o I Pictured You as 25. Something with Your Nickname Slappy. Oh well my head is a mess :p

I think I'll Retire to a nice warm Chair and eat some nice white-bread. And watch a nice american comedy, sleep 8 nice hours and go to a nice math exam tomorrow.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Err..

Today I was researching some bit more from inside Infinity Explorer. To be short, I searched for anything that mentions wild mage, wildmage or wild magic in BG2 (Search Code in Dialogs and Scripts).
    And Infinity Explorer found: nothing!?

That's impossible I said, I know it it must be somewhere... Whatever.

And yes, in BG2 there are these occurences (you can see them, but Infinity Explorer can't find them?):

Dialogs-->KRUIN-->that's that damned githyanki that waits you because of Silver Blade and he says he is wild mage!

2DA files-->ALIGNMNT-->Conclusion: Wild Mage can be of any alignment

2DA files-->KITLIST-->WILDMAGE-->(54892)"WILD MAGE: A mage who combines the new theories of random magic with traditional spells."

2DA files-->WEAPPROF-->Conclusion: Wild Mage can train the only weapons available to wizards

Spells-->SPIN778-->Wild Magic Zone-->?

Spells-->SPWI124-->Nahal's Reckless Dweomer (already mentioned somewhere on these boards)

So, I took my hex editor to search thru all BG2 files and found all of these (inside files DIALOG.TLK and DEFAULT.BIF).

Either that was a bug or my installation is bad.
    Anyway, if anyone can confirm this happens to him too, I'd suggest that you definetly use hex editor for searching thru files, and for extracting data use Infinity Explorer.

8. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Ok - I looked through creatures on Infinity Explorer and looked up what you mentione you found with your hex-editor. I found everything you said you found, but I found them by maually looking through the sections as opposd to searching with the search option. When I tried using the search option, I didn't seem to find anything, so your guess is as good as mine.

One small thing - Looking through the Infinity Explorer, in the areas section, there are two areas that say they are from CD 6. Anyone know what/where these are? You cant actually access them as it asks for you to insert disk 6, which unfortunately doesn't exist.

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31

That is probably the Tales of the Sword Coast add on disk for BG1. BG1 refers to that disk as CD6. Of course it shouldn't really be mentioned in the BG2 stuff but you've probably noticed there are quite a few things from the BG1 game hanging around in BG2 (weapons, items and characters for example).

Hmmm scratch that. I just tried opening those areas (XR2400 CD6) with the ToSC disk in. I also changed my Baldurs 2.ini file to let it know to look for CD6. But still it wouldn't let me open those areas and kept asking for CD6. Just for good measure I tried to look at them using infinity explorer for BG1 and couldn't find any reference to XR2400. Quick call Mulder and Scully!

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited June 07, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.