1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Inactivity, a bigger risk than smoking?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've put on two stone in the last three years, have a gym membership that's been dormant since last June, and a bike that's sat outside rusting. I have GOT to get off my arse, especially having just seen this on an NHS website -

Are you doing enough?

* Only three out of 10 people do enough exercise, but eight out of 10 think they do.
    * If present habits continue, by 2010 one in four people will not fit in a standard office chair.
    * 37% of coronary heart disease deaths are related to inactivity, compared with 19% related to smoking.

Am I the only BoMer with zero willpower? And if so, what exercise do you lot take?

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Get a pair of freeweights you lazy ***tard! Sit less, stand while you're in front of the computer! Start doing pushups, fingers on the ground, or knuckles, not the palms! At least 10 situps, standups, pushups every day for each beer you pour in your gut!

Or...you could go dancing :p

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I do a 45-60 minute exercise routine 6 days a week. Roughly 1/2 is resistance training (i.e. weights), and the other half is on the treadmill. Started about 2½ years ago, but started slacking off early last year, and just got back into it in January, so I've got some lost ground to recover.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Past three months I put on the weight I lost after Christmas because of medication. NOT happy! :mad:

I know I don't excersize enough and I find it extremely awkward to, I'm in a wheelchair half the time and my joints dislocate with too much stress...

Too much stress being variable on a day to day basis :(

I want to get back into fencing and the rock climbing at university looks awesome, but I'll never be able to do it. For now I'm just keeping out the wagon for as long as I can and walking around town with my friends while I'm able to :)

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Y'know, maybe I just don't pay attention, but I never realized you were semi-restricted to a wheelchair, peeps. Bummer. :(

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I play football (EU) once a week, and when I go dancing, I really *dance*. That's it. I'm rather sedentary by nature. :p

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I walk about an hour and a half per day, and I do some weightlifting.

8. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I take my Husky on a run every day =/ I swear he NEVER runs out of energy.

9. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I guess I don't get as much exercise as I should.

I used to train basketball, but I stopped, and since I have a Winnie the Pooh personality (minus the honey part), I rarely work out now.

I run when I'm late... (that happens a lot lately :)).

10. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I fence twice, maybe 3 times a week and I dance, and I actually NEED to put on weight.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I usually play about four hours or so of basketball each week, now that my season's over (before it was about 14 or so). Other than that I have a daily hour and a half workout class that is roughly half weights and the other half is a combination of cardio/light resistance type stuff. And outside of that I run occasionally (was going to be on my school's track squad but decided against it) and do a lot of exercise... I'm in pretty good shape and if anything I'd want to (maybe, I'm not sure) put on 5-10 pounds.

12. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I lift weights, fence and walk some longer distances or use the elliptical trainer thingy if it's raining. Also, remember to stretch people!

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    It's only been past three years I've had a wheelchair ;) and only the past few months I've been in it more often than not. I was away for over a week on the chatroom and nobody noticed, so something I probably haven't mentioned on the forum is easily missed ;)

I'm going to get hold of my friend during the week and go for a walk around town to pick up a top and walk along the sea front, whee!

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I run around after my kids, and we recently bought ann elliptical trainer. I also try to take walks at lunchtime, then eat in front of the computer whenI get back.

Now that the nice weather is coming AND Hubby has invested in a new camera, we'll be taking more nature walks/hikes. Last Sunday we were out for 3 hours!

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I have not been able to get much excercice since I hurt my back. No matter what I try, it hurts like hell. And it just keeps getting worse. The 30 to 40 lbs I've gained since then hasn't helped either.

I have a ways to go before I don't fit in my chair though...

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I go to the gym before work (roughly 5-5:30 a.m.) every day that I can (meaning when I don't have to be in court somewhere far away). M, W, F are cardio days were I jog a couple of miles at a relatively slow clip (10-11 minute mile) and then go to the exercise bike for 8-10 miles at pretty high resistance. Finish it off with stretching and some ab exercises. T, Th are weights, although I aim for high rep low weight exercises, as I am not interested in building too much muscle -- I work on all of the major muscle groups in one way or another on those days). One day on the weekend, I play a few hours of tennis in the morning, and otherwise play baseball with my son.

Random bike riding with my daughter as well.

I try to stay fit because I love to eat.

17. nunsbane

nunsbane

The only time I run is when I'm chasing the ice cream truck.

I walk about 4 miles a day at work and my nephews provide a good opportunity for physical activity. Whether I'm tossing the littler ones or playing catch with the older ones or jumping on the trampoline with all of them, they wear me out on a fairly regular basis.

I'm active enough to be healthy, now I just need to eat less. At 250 lbs. I am about 40 pounds too heavy and have become tired of carrying the extra weight. I think I will do something about it....tomorrow.

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...

I have a membership to the gym at work, and the clubhouse in my community has a small gym...but I've never used either. :doh:

I'm on my feet quite a bit at work. I used to walk about 9 miles a shift when I was working in a different area, but now it's down to 2-3 miles a shift. Every day, I take a "performance multivitamin" that when paired with caffine, it raises my heart rate and makes me sweat when I'm just standing around listing to Metallica/Megadeth/Pantera in my bay. :skeptic:

As for *real* exercise, this is a "PG" rated forum...but I can say that an hour or more of sex 3-4 times a week is exelent exercise. :love:

On another note...I used to be in the same boat as Dalveen. I was 6'3" and underweight no matter how much I ate. Now that I've finnally "filled out", I've got to keep an eye on my weight...even though I'm at my "target weight". My family has a hereditary "spare tire" belly (my dad looks like he's pregnant :eek: ) which I don't want. :nolike: I should probably be doing 100-200 sit-ups a day, but I'm too lazy. :rolling:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  19. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Gnarf, have you tried swimming at all? I've had a fair amount ot interaction in the past with a few physios at my old work (swimming pool), in helping people who have had various back injuries. Swimming, if done right can be a great form - both just general fitness and increasing the strength in the back to prevent further injury. There's very little resistence while swimming, so it doesn't usually put further strain on injuries.

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I second that! I was on the swim team and the water polo team back in high school, and during that time, I was the strongest I've ever been. I'll probably be swimming a lot this summer since the community pool is right across from my house. :love:

As for swimming for the injured, my mom goes to the local public pool 3 times a week for her "senior water arobics" class that specializes in old folks with bad joints. If *they* can do it, so can you. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.