1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Imoen or Jan?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sminnis, Sep 21, 2000.

1. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] What to do?! I don't even have the game yet and I'm already disappointed about a decision I'll have to make...whether to have Imoen or Jan in my party.

Right from the outset, it seems obvious to me that there's no point (not even a role-playing point) to having two thief/mages in the party. So I'm going to have to choose.

From comparing the stats I've seen on both of them, it seems like Jan is the better choice. But what about poor Imoen? :( I like Imoen. She's the Laurel to my Hardy, the Sancho Panza to my Don Quixote, the Gilligan to my Skipper! It pains me to think of leaving her to fend for herself on the tough streets of south Athkatla. (God knows what--or who--she might have to do to get by.:eek :)

So I'd like to propose a question to everyone: How are you planning on addressing this issue? What do you think are the plusses and minuses of each of them? (Imoen isn't without her advantages, you know. ...and I don't even mean that in a wink-wink, nudge-nudge kinda way.)

Let's hear it.

2. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    I don't care who this Jan fellow is, no one can replace Imoen for me. She stayed in my group the entire way through Baldur's Gate, even when she didn't generally agree with my tactics (i.e. the times my reputation dropped a bit).

Besides, Imoen is NOT A FREAKIN' MAGE!!! Dual-classing her is lame, because her personality in no way fits that of the arcane persuasion. She's a rogue damn ya's!

So there you have your difference. That is all.

-The Wretched

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Jan Jansen looks pretty hyped statistics wise and from what I've heard, will have some neat "extras" because of his Gnomish abilities to create special items. Somewhat of an inventor. Might be good to have on a journey if the selection of creating things is vast and you use them a lot.

Imoen is just as good and I'm with Bioware on this one for the dual as I dualed her in BG1, which gives her, in my mind, her full potential. I doubt they made her intelligence 17 for the heck of it and I will always keep her regardless of where we go. Minsc will be gone right away. I hated him from the first one, but if the dialog and his personality are different in BG2, I might change my mind. Jaheria I didn't mind in the first one, she was a lot of help for me.

The rest, not sure. I'm attracted to Nalia's portrait so I'll probably take her just for those lonely nights. LOL!

Sylvus

4. The Wretched Gems: 6/31

Man. Imoen has intelligence because she's a bright girl... why does being smart mean that she wasn't destined to be a rogue?!

Making her a mage just ruins her, and I think that if Bioware had really intended for her to be dualed into a mage, they would have already done it for you when she shows up in BG2!!

Hmph.

-The Wretched

5. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

Bioware left her like that because of the obvious 2 schools of thought on this subject. If you like Imoen as a straight thief, leave her that way. I've played both ways and I have to say, both had potential, I liked how high I could get her abilities as a straight thief but when I dual-classed her in another game, she was an awesome mage as well. To each their own :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Um... actually she already is a thief/mage at the beginning of BGII.
    I don't like it either. She was always a straight thief for me.
    And if she's to be of any use as a mage she can't wear any armor... so that makes her just another mage, since she's dead in 5 seconds without at least some leather armor or the like. Needless to say, I won't be switching her armor on/off every time I want her to cast a spell.
    BLEH!!

7. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

Oh.

I didn't know that she was already like that but that's probably because I don't have BGII yet! My mistake.

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

My take on Imoen's ability to cast magic creates a "personality" per say about her. I think that's one thing that a lot of people like, either/or. You see, as a thief she has an uncanny ability to get to places and do things that YOU KNOW you can count on when you really need it. As a thief, she's top notch for an NPC, the best thief you'll ever have if you yourself are not playing one.

But there is more to her. You know if you want to, you have that choice to dual her to a mage and when she passes her thief level, you now not only have her as the thief you always loved, but now you have some seriously damage abilities to go along with it, if you so please.

I found her level and ability skills as a thief were very well thought of and done to a point where she's very good, good enough that you don't need to advance her any longer as a thief. She has the skills already to get to those dark places as a thief alone. That's what you need so much in an NPC anyhow, is someone who can do that and know that she's a mage, not only can she sneak around, she's throwing fireballs from the shadows themselves!

I like her as a Mage/Thief and I'm glad she's back as such too.

Syl...

9. The Wretched Gems: 6/31

[​IMG]
    I seriously can't believe that she re-appears in BGII as a Thief/Mage. That ruins alot for me, honestly.

Okay, so maybe all those people who dual-classed her WERE on to something, if Bioware made her a mage already in the 2nd game... but personally I didn't see that for her, and I strongly dis-like that the choice has been made for me.

Feh. Yeah, I'll probably manage to *somehow* enjoy the game anyways. :p

-The Wretched

10. Boon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

From what I have seen of the stats of both NPC's, I think that Jan is the thief for me, his inventions clinch it. I never liked Imeon anyway. The odds are that Imeon dual class changed have probably been done for plot reasons in my opinion.
    Options Disable Smilies in This Post.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, being a mage gets her in trouble in Amn VERY quickly, so I must agree about it being plot-related.

12. sminnis Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Actually, I'm starting to rethink this. Since Imoen starts out as a jth level mage, she's not really an XP drain on the party the way a multi-class character is. So, instead of thinking of her as a Mage/Thief, I'll just treat her as my mage...who just happens to be able to use a decent range weapon and can backstab at 3x (followed by a mirror image because of that pesky no armor thing).

So there it is...I'm keeping both of them.

Now, here's another question: I always thought Minsc was great, not just because he's a hoot, but from a pure stats level as well. But one of the above respondents said he'd get rid of him right away. What's the rationale for that? What does everyone else think about Minsc? There's something to be said for leaving space for new NPCs. I think I want to keep Jahiera too. I have this funny feeling she'll come in handy.

13. sminnis Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Oops. Embarrassing typo in above post.

Imoen starts out as an *8th* level mage. :o

14. Taluntain

Media:
    You can edit any of your messages easily by clicking on the third icon in the
    "posted September 23, 2000 02:30" row (that's copy/pasted from your message).
    First icon is to see the profile of the poster, second is for mailing him/her and third is for editing your own posts.
    Hope that helps. ;)

15. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I liked Minsc,
    he was very cool, and the only one who could make me smile when he said something (Remember that cool: "GO FOR THE EYES BOO, GO FOR THE EYES, RRRRAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!)
    But his stats aren't that cool...
    But I'll keep him anyway.
    As for imoen, i kept her trough bg al the time, and that Jan doesn't seem so cool to me, okay, he can make some items, but there are hundreds of items!
    And to the imoen thief/mage question,
    I think it is a good improvement,
    she always apeared weak in my party and if my fighters weren't around, she got hurt very bad!
    And if she is an 8th level mage, with 17 intelligence, she might be very good!
    So I'll keep minsc and imoen, just like in bg, the whole game! :)

16. Minsc was my second favorite character (behind Ajanis). His battle cry never really got old for me, although that kind of thing usually wears on my nerves after a while...
    Plus he had good stats, and lugged up to a dozen swords and some armors around with no complaints. A true hero :D

As for Imoen, I was thinking of trying a thief/mage anyway, but it would have been nice if they had let you choose.

Anyone have an NPC list so I can decide on my party?

17. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Bleh! I have to change my view of Imoen now after playing BG2 since Friday and (*SPOIL*) for the short while I had her in my party, she sucked ;)

Her abilities as a theif blow goats and is now way how I had her in BG1, where she owned j00 sort of speak. Her hide in shadows is 25%?! Give me a break! She was the best for hiding in shadows, moving silently and attacking with spells from behind enemy lines in BG1. Now she can't even hide in a bloody closet!

In all honesty, I have no interest in wanting (*SPOIL*) save her ass because she's useless to me now that you can't bump up her thieving abilities.

Sylvus

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  19. The Wretched Gems: 6/31

[​IMG]
    I really liked Imoen in BG (as I've stated before) as she was.... a great thief who happened to be intelligent.

When I started up BGII, finding indeed that not only had she been dual-classed into a mage, but that her thief abilities stunk royally. Of course, what does it matter that her thieving stinks, when every other friggin' NPC I run into is a thief/mage?!

I realize that Imoen being a mage was important to the plot, and I can't really think of any other way they could have pulled it off.... but I believe they ruined Imoen, and though I kept her my entire way through BG (both times!), she'll probably not last long in my BGII party.

20. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

So far, I have four fighters in my party and that's based on how I've met them and where I've gone and it's worked out well for me.

Half-Orc Barbarian - Grub (me)
    Human Ranger - Minsc
    Dwarven Beserker - Korgan
    Half-Elf Fighter/Druid - Jahiera
    Winged Elf Cleric/Mage - Aerie
    Human Mage/Thief - Nalia

So far, I'm very happy with my party because for what I'm doing, it's a great mix and balance that gets me through some sticky situations. Having two mages in the party is very, very good to have in BG2. One just doesn't do.

Syl...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.