1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Immigration Scaring Tourists Away from the US

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Montresor, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I found this story on a Danish newspaper's site (translation courtesy of yours truly):

Link to Discover America Partnership's press release

For my own part I can understand why this is happening. I visited America on four occasions from 1997 to 2000, in connection with my work, and I always felt welcome with the American people but rarely with the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service). With immigration rules and procedures being strengthened since 9/11, my personal reaction is, "Why bother?"

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was in the US last November, and it was quite brutal. I brought over some varieties of Irish breads and cakes, and the *******s at security opened them up pawing all over them, just because...

The American people are generally friendly.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    American airports are a ****ing nightmare. An absolute nightmare. I thought airports over here were quite bad, but there it's silly.

But yeah, I echo what I've read here. I thought that the American people, on the whole, were quite friendly. Except this one guy in a car when I walked out into a road without looking. It was our first day there and this opened his window and shouted 'You meatball!' which we all thought was absolutely ****ing hilarious. It's like "Yep, we're in America :lol: ".

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Up to this point Canadians have been spared most of the b/s that others have to go through with US customs but it really has been getting worse. The last time I went down to Chicago on business the US customs guy gave me a pretty hard time. If they keep hassling business travelers for no good reason they are going to see a lot more commerce go elsewhere.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

The problem is that I do think a certain percentage of Americans would be happy to have the US free of foreigners. Though I was generally treated well, my accent did provoke some hostile reactions from some people, especially in the rural parts.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    And don't forget the great form travellers iirc still have to fill on the aircraft before entering the US, with tough questions like:
    • Do you plan to commit a serious crime or terrorist act when in the US --- if yes, make your cross here ...
    • Are you a member of a communist party? ---
    • Are you a member of a terrorist organisation? ---
    As if any bad guy at his senses would answer truthfully. But then, probably Mohammed Atta, had he survived and been brought to trial, would have also been charged of lying on an immigration form, which I'm confident is at least a misdemeanor. 6 months extra on top of his 6.000 death sentences, and no chance for parole! That'll teach him.

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Talk about misplaced priorities. The government hassles air travelers unnessecarily while the border with Mexico is like a sieve.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Which is hilariously ironic as America is a nation of immigrants and foreigners anyway. Not many people in American can place their roots there, so hostility towards foreigners is pretty comical

9. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I remember a case two years ago, where a greek university professor, who was invited by an american university to speak in a symposium, was arrested in N.Y. airport as a possible terrorist because he was a member of a resistance group 30 years ago during the colonels' dictatoship.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Followed by Barmy's reply of:

Is exactly what I thought of when I read Cuch's post. While it is definitely unfortunate if you were treated poorly, all I can say is the people who think this way are f'ing idiots. Please do not judge us based on the action of an ignorant few. Of course if they happen to be Native American Indians (of course you could argue that even they, too, were immigrants, but at least they got here "first"), then I suppose they could feel that they themselves aren't foreigners.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    To be fair though, Cuch, if you went around here saying 'Bless mah lucky charms!' I'd probably want to plant the nut on too! ;). Nah, Irish are sound. I like Irish people they're well friendly. You've never had a pint of Guiness until you've had one in Ireland let me tell you.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My experience with American airports is very mixed, the appereance of security and mass checks is there but the reality seems to be a bit lacking. The first time I landed in the US ever I just waltzed through all security checks because I simply had no time as my flight was late. A simple chat with the luggage handlers enabled me to skip each and every security and custom check. Although I appreciate that this enabled me to catch my connection it makes me wonder whether all the checks and blustering is for real or just for show.

When I was over there I spoke to an American who usually lives in Germany and according to him the security measures are a lot more stringent there and to be fair that is true in my experience as well. The only difference is that there seems to be a few more "silly" things in the US like those forms and such which really doesnt seem to fill any purpose. Having someone check through your shoe happens everywhere.

13. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

actually i think thats commen practise, to avoide animal deseases being spread from one continent to another. to make it easy its illigal to bring in any kind of foodstuff.
    the same rules applies in russia for that mather :)

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

If thats the case, why didn't they confiscate the breads, rather than ruining them? The smirk on the officials face didn't lead me to think it was standard practice.

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Must say I have no intention of going to the US in the foreseeable future because of their crazy customs requirements.

It's not bad enough that they're doing it with their own country but they're flexing their economic muscles and bullying other countries to do the same otherwise they won't deal with them. Frankly I think the world should call their bluff and do things as normal.

In NZ news we've just started implimenting a new security system at our international airports and the fliers are the ones who will have to foot this massive bill, what's more there's an extra hour expected delay for departures and possibly arrivals due to the new system. Now, for me that's just horrible because I fly to Thailand yearly to see my father and that extra hour means I have to stay awake an extra hour and said flight often takes 14 hours... making me even more dead upon arrival.

All because some bastards crashed into some towers in America the other side of the world needs to suffer.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

What really gets my goat is that it's not just visitors to the US. I also applies to people merely passing through. You have all the forms to fill in, all the security checks and mug-shots, only to sit in a secure room for 2 hours whilst they refuel your plane.

Don't ever make the mistake of thinking the security personal are in any way personable.

17. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    How you get treated is heavily dependent on which country you come from.

Case(s) in point:

My friend (Malaysian, chinese, female, 20 at the time) wanted to go to Puerto Rico from Australia and had to make a stop at Los Angeles for a transit (the transit was immediate and she would not spend the night over) so she had to get a temporary US visa for that brief stop over. She got to the US embassy in Australia, spent 5 hours waiting, went in for an interview, got asked 3 questions and was rejected right away. She finally gave up on her plans.

My cousin (Malaysian, chinese) is studying in Singapore and got a scholarship to study 6 months in America. He got a visa and flew over to America from Singapore. Upon reaching, he was stopped by immigration was not allowed to follow the rest of the other students to Boston. He had to undergo more tests and interviews (despite already having a visa). Thankfully, he managed to keep the visa and continue his studies.

Both cases were most probably due to the fact that we come from Malaysia (a muslim controlled country) despite the fact that they aren't even muslims.

18. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

@abomination my country did the same, do to the fear of terror in form of liqueds, your no longer allowed to bring more then 100ml liquid on board of a plane. this and other new rules has let to extreme longer waiting in the airport and its just so stupid, if people really want to commit terror this will hardly help.

guards who has to serach thousands of handbags daily for stupid liquid containes and chech that your personal stuff is put in the right bags etc, are bored guards who will overlook the real danger while trying to concentrate on rutine.

[ March 21, 2007, 21:37: Message edited by: Equester ]

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    But you gotta admit that 'getting tough on liquids' sounds resolute and determined. Combine it with the war on hankys (which can be abused to I don't know what yet, but ... better safe than sorry) and your super-safe.

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I <3 security theater.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.