1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Illegal Immigration in the US

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

First we had the driver's liscenses for illegal immigrants in California.
    Then we had Bush's plan granting all illegal immigrants work visas.
    Now there is talk about changing how illegals are deported. They used to be just dropped off at the border. Now, we are tlaking with Mexico about flying them back to their home town in Mexico. Mexico doesn't like this and wants deportation to be voluntary.
    Millions of illegal immigrants come into this country every year. Some come here to have a child. A child born here is automatically a US citizen and thus the parent gets to stay here.
    They make less than min wage, don't contribute taxes and are able to use up our services.
    There has even been talk of free tuition at our colleges for illegal immigrants.
    What are your views on the immigration problems and policies? Also, if you are living in another country, how does your country handle illegal immigration (if it exists there)?
    I'm not saying we should close our borders. I have no problem with someone coming to this country LEGALLY and becoming a US citizen. What I do have a problem with is when it is done illegally. I also am not fond of the current policies either in place or talked about being put in place.Granting work visas to the undocumented aliens already here is not going to help either. If they have to pay a worker a min wage, an employer is simply going to look for a new batch of illegal aliens and hire them.
    I don't see how any of the ideas I mentioned at the start of this thread would help the problem here.
    I just want to ask this question, "What part of illegal don't they understand?"

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

In New Zealand, it is a little bit more difficult to arrive illegally due to the 1000s of miles of ocean that lie between NZ and the rest of the world. We do have illegal immigrants and we do have xenophobic people who even think that the legal immigrants (mostly South East Asians at this point in time) are going to take over but that's all very silly given that 95% of New Zealanders are immigrants of some sort. But, no, we don't really have a problem that is anything like the USA.

But as someone mentioned in another thread, USA will have to invade and take over Mexico anyway within the next 30 years (when climate change stuffs up most of the rest of the country) so then you won't have that problem any more.

3. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Here in Germany, we have problems with illegal immigration, too. The illegals are deported, but only if their home country is safe for them. That means, if there is evidence that they will be persecuted out of political reason (or out of others. I don't know exactly.), they are officially tolerated as long as they cannot be deported. It is a very complicated and dissatisfying regulation, both for the immigrant (he or she must not work) and for the country (it has to pay for them)

There is a political fight between our (liberal) government and the (conservative) opposition about an immigration bill which would finally regulate immigration. The opposition is blocking the whole process strictly out of ideological reasons.

Buggers! :mad:

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

For me, the most frustrating aspect of this debate is that few people, on either side of the aisle, look for long-term solutions. The Republicans want to erect a 200-foot tall wall around the country while the Democrats want to hand out medical insurance whenever someone washes up on shore. I'm exaggerating of course, but the point is neither philosophical approach addresses the long-term issue.

I think the US should focus on impoving economic conditions in Mexico, since the bulk of illegal immigrants come from there. If we can improve conditions there through trade agreements, aid packages, or other incentives, the desire to immigrate to the US illegally is severely diminished. In addition to stemming the flow of illegal immigrants, we'll end up helping the Mexican people while adding a new market to sell our goods (and a new supplier from which to buy).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.