1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'll Never Complain About My Own Country's Legal System Again...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by AMaster, Jan 26, 2005.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :eek: Is this article for real? I'm speechless...

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Something is deeply wrong there...

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    And people say that my legal system is crazy. How anyone could think that the money spent on an illegal activity is a "business expense" is, well, well, GAH!!! Insane.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This does seem rather crazy to me. Hope it doesn't catch on elsewhere.

6. chevalier

Media:
    I think they're applying a naive analogy between fine and tax, in which a fine would be some kind of a punitive tax on illegal activity, so the cost of running that "business" could be deducted.

Either that or a bit more pragmatic approach in which fine fulfils the assumption that crime should cost you and buying a gun already costs you, so you shouldn't have to pay twice for the same thing.

But what if he had bought a mahogany gun with a silver pipe and ivory adornment? No fine? :rolleyes:

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My assumption here is that the purchase of the gun was illegal. How about they reduce his fine by the cost of the gun if he tells them who he bought it from and the details of the transaction? Then, the government's acts serve a purpose in that they can get another criminal. That's about the only way I could conceive of being on the side of this type of fine reduction.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Okay for the Drug dealer example, you would need to deduct the purchase price of the drugs, the fuel and depreciation on the car, the munchies and soda that they consume on the job (benefits ya know), depreciation on any weapons they carry for protection, cost of ammo used (whether at a target or fired at random while high), medical expenses for getting hurt while high or getting beaten up by rivals, liability insurance for customers that get hurt while high, bad debts expense for those who don't pay up, fees charged by leg breakers if you opt to contract that out...

I guess crime doesn't really pay...

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The law here states that the financial situation of a criminal should be the same before the crime as after, so he will integrate in the society more easily with less chance to do more harm.
    Else they fall down that pit and do even more harm.

Hilarious isn't it? Good thing I don't pay taxes.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To my mind, deductions are given because of the belief that the behavior is "good" in some way and should be encouraged. To give such consideration to criminal behavior seems very wrong to me.

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

What does the judge smoke?

12. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hey guys dont make fun of our legal system! They took the gun off him so he gets compensated for it, thats all! (doesnt sound really convincing to me but i have to defend my country so...)
    Fact is that the dutch legal system has always been somewhat more modern then in the rest world ;)

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The article isn't really clear about the nature of the court case but if they are nailing the guy for unpaid income taxes on the revenues from the bank robbery then allowing him to deduct the cost of the gun from his income would appear to be quite reasonable to me. If they are allowing him to deduct the cost of the gun against anything else it wouldn't be reasonable.

It isn't uncommon for criminals to be charged with tax evasion when a normal conviction can't be made - in which case the evidence uncovered/disclosed in the course of the tax investigation and trial will normally be inadmissable for criminal court purposes.

From a tax point of view it is actually quite normal to be allowed to deduct expenses incurred against revenues from criminal activities in order to determine the amount of income tax payable. That certainly is the rule in Canada and I am fairly certain it is the same in many other countries.

[ January 27, 2005, 19:12: Message edited by: JSBB ]

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    What! That just seems so bizarre to me. If it is known the activity was criminal, then all revenues should be confiscated IMO, and if it was stolen, given back to the people from which it was stolen. If it wasn't stolen, it should go to the law enforcement division that polices such activity.

15. chevalier

Media:
    Hey, in our system the guy would lose the gun and could even be ordered to pay its worth in money if he had already lost it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.