1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Dale II Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Sep 3, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Veldrin)

Chad Nicholas, Scripter

AI Scripts: Hmm, it's pretty suprising that so many people are having problems with the player scripts. Have you all read the description for the script you are using? The description should say what the character will do when that script is attached. They won't do any more or less than what is stated.

Also, is your "AI Framerate" setting at 30? It should be set at 30. If it is higher, the engine sometimes skips over scripting commands which can cause nasty bugs. You can also try lowering to 15, 20, or 25 and see if that helps.

Do you have the Party AI turned on? The 'a' key is the default to toggle it on and off. You can also left-click the eyes of the "old man" statue in the GUI. If the eyes are glowing, then Party AI is on. Also, can you manually cast spells for your druid? Your druid needs a Wisdom stat of 10 + the spells level to cast the spell. Do you have the spells memorized and did you rest after choosing what spells to memorize? Sorry, I'm sure you know all about this Gabrielly, but I like to rule out the simple/easy answers first.
    Having characters only used ranged weapons when wounded would have to occur in a new script. None of the existing scripts do this kind of checking.

J.E. Sawyer, Lead Designer

Touch Spells: It does bypass armor, but it still has to contend with Dex modifiers and Deflection bonuses.

I believe that touch spells do get a Dex bonus. I know that ranged touch attacks from spells like Ball Lightning definitely do. There's a character named Majrash who can use this spell to ridiculous effect.

I just double-checked all the sections in the PHB that cover Dexterity and touch attacks. It doesn't say anything about giving a Dex bonus to characters making melee touch attacks, but it implies that they should get Dex bonuses for ranged touch attacks (Ball Lightning, Melf's Minute Meteors, etc.). Of course, it also implies that melee touch attacks should get a Strength bonus to hit.

To declare that melee touch spells are worthless because you can't get Dex bonuses with them implies that they would be worthless for characters without a Dex bonus. I don't think this is the case. My cleric and wizard in IWD2 didn't have good Dex bonuses, and they used touch attacks frequently. Gaining bonuses to hit certainly helps, but it's usually more important that they ignore physical armor and can be "held" for quite a while.

Sneak Attack Issues: Being hidden shouldn't have anything to do with it. As long as you are roughly behind the target and using a melee weapon, it should work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.