1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I would like some critique of my music...

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I recently got a really good quality microphone and have begun writing/recording some music. Its all me playing guitar, and I'd really like some feedback on what people think so far (only finished two tracks but there's more in the pipeline).

Tell me you love it, tell me you hate it, just tell try and let me know why lol :)

The Myspace Page

Hopefully you'll find it a pleasant 6 minutes of your life :)

Caradhras likes this.
  2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

They were very pleasant playing in the background whilst I was surfing around. I liked the first "Autumnal" especially. It reminded me of The Witcher's music a lot and of the stuff on the bonus cd (not the heavy metal obviously).

I don't play myself so can't give any opinion on the standard of your playing really.

Is this just you messing about? I found it pleasant but you hardly need me to tell you it's not commercial.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Nice tunes, very atmospheric. I like Meadow more than Autumnal. These would be great material for a romance mod in BG2 or any CRPG. You would definitely qualify as a bard. ;)

4. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Déise: Thanks, and its mostly just me starting to compose things of my own after a long, just curious but what's your definition of commercial?

Caradhras: Thanks, my goal one day is to have the soundtrack of a game/film to my name, but thats a long way off yet!

Thanks to you both again :)

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I meant that a quiet solo guitar is unlikely to sell albums or concert tickets on its own, a la The Arctic Monkeys or David Gray. If your goal is to go down the soundtrack route then it's encouraging that both Caradhas thought of it sounding like that before you mentioned it. I'm definitely not in a position to judge whether you could make a career out of it but I thought it sounded pleasant.

6. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Ah right yeah I know what you mean, but you'd be surprised (Andy McKee made a career out of it, as have several other acoutic/classical guitarists) :) I've got no dreams of being famous and performing on a stage lol I just write the music because its what I enjoy! Its definately not mainstream though lol :D

EDIT - These pieces are actually made up of several guitar parts and would be impossible to play on your own :).

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I can only encourage you to pursue your efforts. My musical talent is rather limited but from an uneducated perspective I really like the freshness of what you've done. I don't know if Déise would agree with that but these are refreshing pieces and you should build up around the feelings you're trying to convey. After all that's what soundtracks are about.

8. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I like it. :)

What gear or software are you using to record/mix/master?

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    @Gaear: I use Protools 8 with an Mbox mini to record/mix/master etc, the mic is the SE2200a a fantastic mic for what it costs (£170). It's a great setup and takes up almost no room at all, and protools is a nice program (not as pretty as Logic though :D).

Amount spent on fancy audio Hardware/Software: £370 ish :)

10. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Neat. :)

You say you've just recently started writing and recording? Going straight to ProTools with that is jumping in with both feet. Nicely done.

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Well I say I've only just started writing and recording, I mean I haven't really done it to this extent in my own time in the past. I am a music a student, so I know composition, and I've done recording studio stuff in the past too (Music technology), and being at uni Protools is what they use. So I know all the bits and pieces I've just never had the opportunity to compose and record something like this :)

I had the skills and knowledge, just never the tools freely available if that makes sense :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.