1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I really need some help!!!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TelexStar, Oct 6, 2000.

1. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Firstly I should mention that I'm new to the AD&D World (i know some basics). I'm really having some problems getting into this game, for example, I was coming out of the Sea Bounties tavern in the Docks district when I was approached by a man needing my help. Next thing I know he's being attacked by 3 Vampires. Being the good Adventurer that I am I tried helping but all my attacks either seem to be ineffective or miss, for crying out load theres only 3 of them and 6 of me and they manage to at least take out 3 of my party.
    There doesn't seem to be any skill in the way that you attack, it just seems very hit & miss, most of the spells I use don't work on opponents.

Has anyone got any advice as I think i would really like this game if I understood it better.

Thanks in advance

2. Bhaal Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Pretty sure that you need a magical weapon to hit them since regular weapons will do no damage (not 100% sure on that though but I think that was my experience with them). The city street encounters with vampires are only at night time but not that often and can be avoided. When you do much damage to them they will turn into a mist and fly away so you actually dont kill them in any street encounter. if you have a cleric type have him use his "turn undead" skill which does help and if you cant do damage to them simply go back to your last save and skip that area till later time. By not fighting them you wont miss any important info/quests and you will have a chance to fight them in later chapter. It takes some time to get used to this game if you have a little D&D experience so use the pause a lot and plan your attack/defense and try new tacticks and you will learn pretty fast.

3. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Is there any difference in equiping slashing/crushing/piecing/bludgering weapons on your characters???

4. Bhaal Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Yes some critters will take extra damage from certain weapon types. For example the golems you will encounter need a +2 magical weapon just to be hit and to do any significant damage it must be a blunt type. Trolls can only be killed by a fire/acid weapon. You can knock them down but unless its a fire/acid damage weapon they will regenerate and attack you again.

My main character is an archer and my magical +2 to hit, +4 to damage bow had no effect on golems (and I was using a +2 magical arrows even) so I was forced to go with a blunt weapon to finish the fight.

Also a summon animal/monster line of spells is very very useful and if you find those spells have your mage/druid learn and use them when fighting tougher critters. In some cases I only use those spells to wear down the critter I'm fighting and then have my party attack it at the end just to finish it off since the monster casts so much spells and damages my party at very fast rate and this way he uses up his magic on my summoned animals and is more vulnerable when I'm ready to take it down.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.