1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hypocrites

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by GabrielNYC, Mar 28, 2003.

1. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] It's getting harder and harder to remain a moderate in this new age of politics.

I joined 2 yahoo groups to get views from the left and right about the war.

The left group did not allow me to post my questions about NYC protestors and why is it necessary to disrupt the lives of others during rush. I was accused of being a "troll." Some members even saw fit to flame me in personal emails. Seeing as how my postings werent allowed, I can only surmise the moderator gave my email address to them

While on the right, each member answered my question(is war really the last option?) without rudeness, insulting comments or the like.

The left wing talk about the evils of censorship and talk about diplomacy etc but yet they flamed me and didn't post my message. While the right wing were very polite w/o being condescending.

Did I miss something...
    ============================

Oh for the love of god..Im actually being harassed by the moderator at this damned moment! ALL I WANTED TO KNOW WHY DISRUPT THE DAILY ROUTINE OF OTHERS who want to get on with their lives during rush hour!?

Screw the left..I used to support anyone in the US for the right to protest anything but the fact that this jerk saw fit to refuse my questions about the anti-war protests changed my view for good.

[ March 28, 2003, 03:06: Message edited by: GabrielNYC ]

2. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

So because of the actions of one jerk you changed your views? Yes, Rush Limbaugh is a calm and rational person and easily accepts other's point of view. Both sides have intelligent, rational people and both sides have belligerant jerks. Why must anti-abortion protesters block the enterance to clinics and scream and verbally assult scared, confused young women and doctors? Neither side is anywhere near perfect but that is what makes us human. Never makes your decisions based on the how others act. Base them on the facts and your beliefs and that will never steer yourself wrong, whatever others think of it.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm sure there are hypocrites on the right and rational people on the left. But I think that the ones on the left seem to be... a bit more vehement.

4. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

thats true jschild but the idea that he got other members in his group to email me now isn't helping matters at all

5. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Again, Rush Limbaugh is the number 1 consevative talk radio personality. there are more than enough hotheads on all sides. Unfortantly, hotheads are gaining popularity and shows that accuratelypresent the facts are fading fast. Thats whats really sad.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It might depend on the part of the country that you find yourself in. I am in probably one of the most conservative places on the planet.

In fact, when I lived on the other side of town, I was actually in Tom Delay's district (I still consider it an honor that I got to vote against him once). I am verbally attacked by most here as soon as they find out that I was a Clinton supporter. You would not believe the kinds of things that have been said my face by people who don't even know a thing about me.

The thing I have noticed is that there seems to be kind of a mob mentality. They seem to reinforce their belief systems once they begin to cluster into majority groupings. I'm sure this is true among more liberal-progressive groups as well. I've found that if I go to a board with other liberals and progressives we do nothing but bash conservatives, which is pointless; if I go to a conservative board I am almost always blasted off for being a "lefty." That's one of the reasons I began posting here. There is a good mix of both and it is a very civil community.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    We were living in the Pacific NW when teh WTO meeting was held in Seattle, drawing huge numbers of protestors and anarchist groups. A local panel discussion program had one of the anarchists as a guest, and it was completely ridiculous. The guy refused to answer any simple, direct questions that were posed, instead going off on rants about how violence and property destruction were appropriate methods of protest.

I was hoping for a better understanding of their position but was left instead with the impression of a frustrated 10-yr-old who couldn't identify his emotions, much less control them.

So why should I support anyone who can't discuss his own position? I think that sentiment is some of what Gabriel is trying to get across.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, this is a bit OT, but concerning protests... in 2001, during the Independence Day festivies in the Presidential Palace (And hey, if anyone notices me using an incorrect translation then tell me so I'll edit...) there were some more or les radical protestors outside the Palace. So, last year, the president invited representatives of those protestor to the event... and looky, they could "rise to the occasion" so to say... even with live plants in their hair. And another mob attacking taxis bringing in the celebrators outside.

I could phrase this a lot better, but taking into account my current polarity I am in no tate to do so...

(No, Legolas, no mohawk for you.... your hair is perfect as it is)

9. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

That's intersting human behaviour. And it always happens, no matter if it's a "leftist" or a "rightist" group.

They tend to come together and make something like a "gang" and in this way become a "majority" who has "truth" on their side. And anybody who happens to have a different opinion and is "weak", because his in the "minority" in this situation, gets bullied.

So in the end, it's not so much about "opinion", it's more about the chance to bully someone. To let some steam off and to have a feeling of "power" and being someone.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.