1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hypnosis: Reliable or Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Eldular, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Personally, I believe it is far too unreliable to be used in therapy, since it is possible for the patient to create false memories. I find the whole 'giving subconscious suggestions' too dangerous, the subconscious is a very complicated thing. It's like giving a gun to a child, he doesn't entirely known what he is doing, chances are he might shoot someone and seriously harm them. Like always, do express your views and opinions on the topic at hand.

PS: I also have certain religious beliefs when it comes to hypnosis, but I prefer to keep religion off this thread. So please, let's stray from it here.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Simply too dangerous at the current stage. It possesses some great potential for the future, but for now it should still be regarded as 'in the testing phase'.

3. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't know, I have never done any research into the subject at all, but my gut instinct is that it is all :bs: .

Sort of like people believing in psychics...

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My sister (who is currently doing a psychology course at university) has told me that there's is no empirical evidence that hypnosis actually does anything.

5. Eldular Gems: 10/31

True, there might not be any actual scientific evidence, but it's still pretty obvious that it does something. It wouldn't be so popular if it didn't.

6. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Unreliable - I went to one to quit smoking - it didn't work. Well I lasted 3 days, and that may have been a placebo effect.
    For some people I know this has worked though - although this is in no way a reliable proceedure - it relies on the susceptability of the recipient.

7. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I agree with Late-Night. Because we don't know enough about it some peaple think it might be the answer to all kinds of stuff. "It relies on the susceptability of the recipient" when there is no epitical evidence is another way of saying "It might work, some times... on some people". Shure some people might be able to quit smoking after hypnosis, but no one knows if it's the actual hypnosis that's helping them.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Popularity is not an indicator of efficacy.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    My father is a practicing psychologist and, let me tell you, hypnosis is real. The problem with hypnosis is the same as it's advantages. It seems to connect to the subconscious, but everyone's subconscious is different. How someone will react to something is quite unpredictable. Remember, the subconscious isn't the base programing of a person, its the person itself. If the person doesn't want to cooperate, the hypnotic suggestions won't take. This is the real problem with hypnotic smoking suggestions. The driving power is still the person's own will and it is still battling an addiction.
    That said, my father doesn't like hypnotic regression therapies unless absolutely neccessary, which is VERY rare, because people tend to want to please authority figures. This means that if the therapist, the authority figure, even unconsciously hints that they may want even a vague kind of answer, the patient will likely give it. This can easily mean creating false memories.
    Hypnosis can result in some amazing autonomic controls as well as insights into the person's mind, but the unknowns are just too many and too complex for it to really be safe.

10. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Sticker - is it all just a big coincidence then? People who want to give up smoking - and were not able to do so before, visit a hypnotist and give up?

I have also seen shows where some of the participants were people I know. And yes these people did do some things that they would never normally do.

I have stated thats it unreliable but I have also seen enough proof to know that hypnotism can have a remarkable effect. If someone can give up smoking because of it - all power to them. For other issues I'd be more cautious but don't knock something until you have experienced it first hand.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Hypnosis is one tool in the kit. To ignore it might be to miss out on a potential solution, while to rely on it alone might do the same in a different direction. A lot depends on the trustworthiness of the therapist - even moreso than with a traditional doctor of medicine, I think.

12. Eldular Gems: 10/31

True, but hypnosis is popular due to the mass effect it has had on people. I seriously doubt people go to a Hypnosist and then all of a sudden decide to make a significant change in their life for no reason at all, something has to be working.

13. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

What about the people with diseases that miraculously cure themselves when they take a pill that is called something like Isophenobarbizan but is in fact a flavorless Cert?

Calling the flavorless Cert medicine is :bs: .

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

From having been under such influences, I can tell you that there is something to it, but the lack of empirical evidence makes it hard to tell just what that is. I guess it goes back to Rally's point, that it is one tool in the toolbox, and where it works, it works, and when it doesn't, try something else...

15. Eldular Gems: 10/31

@Late-Night Thinking: I believe that to be a case of 'mind over matter'. They believe so strongly that it will cure them that they cure themselves in the process (of course, more complicated then that).

@Gnarfflinger: Yes, a tool best left to further study. It's like putting a drug still under testing to public use, sure it works sometimes, but it has pretty much the same amount of failures as successes. With serious side-effects.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Mind over matter is the whole point here. The human body can do some incredible things without the help of medicine if it is just prompted to do so. The curing addictions is really the same thing, but its mind over mind.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.