1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to Spend 60,000gp

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, just finished the Severed Hand, sold my items, and got about 60,000 gp. In a somewhat frustrating set of circumstance, now that I have enough money for all the really expensive items, I'm wondering if they are really worth purchasing. All of my characters already have at least a +2 weapon, and most have +3. I suppose I could upgrade my paladin's weapon (still using the +2 broad sword from the elf) or my fighter dwarf's weapon, but I kind of like the AC boost from defended (also uses Conlan's hammer for undead, things requiring more than +2).

Any votes of recommendation here from the list?

Party Proficiencies (I suppose this will help):

Paladin: Large swords, great swords, halberds
    Fighter (Dwarf): Axes, war hammers
    F/C (gnome): Flails, maces, slings
    F/D (half-elf): spears, quarterstaves, clubs
    M/T (elf): bows, missile weapons, large swords, daggers
    Bard: Bows, crossbows, halberds, great swords

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I assume you've got that Helmet for your Gnome already.

I'd suggest just buying a lot of scrolls. This game is funny with the money. You need to make a few choices early on, then you've pretty much got everything you need after Chapter 3 or 4, at least IME.

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

When you leave for dorn's deep the next chapter will start and Orrick's inventory will change.
    So buy anything you want from him first since it will be too late in the next chapter.

Get the rogue's cowl, the simmering sash and the spells you haven't learned yet from him and maybe some other things.

I'd keep the remaining money, you can buy new scrolls pretty soon.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes, I already purchased the helm for my gnome, as well as the +3 spear for my druid, and the rogue's cowl. What does the shimmering sash do?

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Permanent Bless was it not ?

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do you have HoW? There are some great weapons in HoW -- it sound like you may be ready for that (I think you need to be 9th level). Also ToLM is a part of HoW. Both of these will add a lot to your financial status (and there's a couple of good merchants in Lonelywood).

Most of the best weapons you find laying about. Conlon's Hammer is very good -- as is the axe he sells which raises con. I'd agree with Klorox and kmonster -- buy scrolls.

Although it will be while, you're paladin will find his/her best weapon. You don't really need to buy it.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes, but I was planning on finishing the regular game first - is this not recommended? i.e,. would you recommend doing HoW (and possibly TotL) first? I thought after you beat IWD, you could export your characters and start an "expansion only" game that would let you do HoW and TotL.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I would recommend finishing IWD before you start HoW. It makes a little bit more sense story-wise, and you get to upgrade Aihonen's blade into a very nice weapon.

But, IIRC, you can return to Kuldahar if you start a HoW game from within IWD, so you could pop into Lonelywood, shop a bit, and return to Kuldahar and the IWD quest without bothering with the HoW quests at all.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would recommend it as soon as you're high enough level to go. It seems to go along with the initial Kuldahar adventures to me. It's really for a mid-level party, averaging 9th or 10th level (maybe even 8th). Once you get above 12th or so HoW is fairly tame -- unless you ramp up the difficulty.

I don't think you're allowed back until you complete HoW. Luremaster must be done before you've completed HoW.

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I agree with Ziad about starting HoW before finishing the normal game. The normal game would become too easy.
    Just keep in mind that container (gem bag, scroll case, potion bag) contents aren't transfered.
    You can go back if you start HoW earlier, but not before doing the hardest HoW battles.

You shouldn't have problems finding it out for yourself by reading its description.
    It's not permanent bless like raptor guessed, it's far more useful.

11. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In Lower Dorns deep duergar merchant will make good shield if you will have a rhinoceros beetle shell and drow merchant will enchant that shield. So there will be possibility to spend your money.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Hmmm... In that case, that's my party now. I have around 300,000 XP for each character. Even with 3 multi-classes, everyone is at least 9th level at this point. So that would indicate that I should do HoW prior to going to Dorn's Deep.

13. Westhardus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In that case you will have good training on Burial isle :)
    Tell us later how you dealt with animal spirits and nasty undeads.

14. T2Bruno

Media:
    You'll get a boatload of XP in HoW. IIRC, HoW didn't adjust for higher levels -- however, IWD was still challenging after I got back.

You can get some really good weapons in HoW (especially from the blind dwarf).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.