1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to set Firefox to display 800X600 full screen on larger monitors?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ragusa, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's in a nutshell, my dilemma. I have a 19" since december, about which I'm very happy. To make the best out of the screen size, I wanted to increase fon sitze so that I can put it further back for more space on my desk and more convenience reading.

I set my screen to 1280x1024 screen resolution, and I use Firefox as a browser.

But then there are these 800x600 pages that leave some 40% of my scree-width unused.

Is there a way to display these pages on my screen so they fit?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Practically? No, because most sites have set layout widths. Theoretically you could change it by applying custom styles to override the site's own, but that'd most likely break a dozen other things in the layout.

In truth, resizeable site layouts are not a very good idea, because reading lines of text spanning the entire width of the monitor at larger resolutions is more tiring than reading more compact chunks of text. It's also a significant nuisance for webmasters, because all the content has to be checked in multiple resolutions to make sure that it looks ok in all of them.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You're disheartening.

PS: However, it *does* work on SP :)

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, having a resizeable layout here is something I've regretted more than once. Or rather, regretted the resizing for lower resolutions. There things start getting really difficult if you want to put up content that will still look properly but display on a significantly smaller amount of space than at 1024x768 or higher resolutions. So the next incarnation of SP most likely won't scale below the 1024x768 resolution, so anyone still using the prehistoric 640x480 or 800x600 resolutions will have to make do with horizontal scroll bars.

5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I surf in 128x128 resolution. Surfing SP is a pain already.

More support for text browsers!

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG]
    Yeah! And stop using that many colours, some of us still use monochrome monitors! :heh:

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Right on. I can't surf SP at all on my Commodore Vic 20. That's only 25 years old so can hardly be called obsolete. It's discrimination - or an insidious plot to force us to continually buy newer technology. Why can't I still use my acoustic coupler to connect to the bottom of my rotary dial telephone?

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Well, I browse the web with three browsers - Firefox, running on my main computer, 1024x768 but never in full screen, Opera, on my laptop, 800x600, and with Opera Mini on my cellphone - 128x128. It's actually not a text browser, but it could as well be.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    I can't see why anyone who doesn't urgently need to be connected 24/7 on the road would want to browse the net on a cell phone, seriously. It's the equivalent of trying to swim in the kitchen sink.

As for not using browser windows maximized, I've never understood that. Unless you're using really high resolutions it unavoidably means encountering horizontal as well as vertical scrolls bars pretty quickly, so why would anyone want to waste time with scrolling left and right as well?

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I use non-maximised browser windows when I am copying information from a website into another application. The most common use of this is when doing my finances and referring to my internet banking page.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.