1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to increase attributes/ability points?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zeta, Nov 29, 2000.

1. zeta Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi. Need some help here.
    I want to know if char attributes/ability points can be increased(eg. strength, dexterity...). If so, how? Thanks.

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well once you made the character the abilities are set, but alot of items in the game will increase certaint abilities

3. zeta Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I mean, is it possible to increase the stats permanently? Also, is it possible to exceed 18?

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Depends on your race. Elves can go over 18 in Dexterity while Half-Orcs can go over 18 with Strength and Constitution.

These are, of course, permanent.

Otherwise, basic character creation will not have any stat exceed 18 unless it is made possible by a certain race as those mentioned above.

Items found within the game will also boost stats. Examples of these are Guantlets of Dexterity which places your DEX at 18, a permanent fixture until you remove them. Same with the Girdle of Frost Giant Strength or Fire Giant Strength.

Syl...

5. zeta Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks...
    so there is no other way of increasing stats?
    eg. through gaining levels?
    sorry...not familiar with these rules
    anyway, thanks again...

6. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There are other ways, but they are only by hacking the game. Shadowkeeper allows you to go up to stats of 25, but the game is more fun if you play it through without cheating (tougher, more challenging)

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    There were Tomes in BG1 that increased abilities permanently...But I haven't come acrossed any in BG2 so far...But then again, I'm only in Chapter 2.

Has anyone seen any?

8. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

No, unfortuantely I do not think there are any. Even in Icewind Dale they had potions that increased abilities, but non in this game

9. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Gaining levels will increase your over all knowledge of fighting, casting, thieving based on your character class. As for distribution of points to attributes upon gaining a level, no.

Syl...

10. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No tomes in BG2 that I ever found. I think I read somewhere that the developers thought they put too many in BG1 un- balancing the game: you could come out with 3 or 4 stats at 18.
    In BG2 there are places where you permanently loose stats, depending on your choices. Ouch!

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That's definitely true...It bumped my character's stats up pretty high. I think there was one for each ability in BG1

12. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

the FAQ says no tomes,
    what class are you and what are your stats zeta?

13. zeta Gems: 1/31

my stats are 18/44(strength) and 15 for the others for a human fighter character(took me ages to get stats)...
    i wanted to dual class eventually, but i guess i did not see the restrictions for the other classes...now i'm stuck since i can't dual class unless i can raise the relevant stats...

14. Dark Phoenyx Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

if you want, just use a hex editor and one of the useful little tips from online to get at your characters' stats. They are in the same place for all black isle games, BG I & II, Icewind, Planescape, and really easy to find, so guess BI wants you to be able to do it yourself if necessary, so long as you know how to count in hex.

15. Mobeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Zeta, I would suggest you go ahead and play your character thru. You are decent enough (although dex & con could be better for a fighter--there are items to increase them, anyway) to give you a good game experience. Especially since you are fairly new.

Next game, then, you can build a character, or more than one, and really get into the dual class thing.

Just a suggestion... :)
    It's your game..do what makes you happy.
    And if you want to edit, Shadowkeeper is better that hexing it! IMO
    :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.