1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to get more XP in normal mode?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by siddhartha, Nov 20, 2002.

1. siddhartha Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] i need more exp , and i dont know how to get it, someone could tell me ? obviosly no including the quests..

[ November 20, 2002, 20:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

How to get XP??? Well, aside from quests, you can always go out and kill stuff... If you are not getting XP from the monsters you waste, then you need to find some more difficult monsters. Then there is always the ctrlaltdelete:setcurrentxp() code which allows you to set your XP to whatever you want (although some view this as cheating and they should since this is a cheat code)...

If you are bummed because in some places you get no XP for the monsters, then you can always download one of the mods discussed on this board that allows you to get XP from everything. If you don't want to use the mod, but still want XP from almost everything then I would suggest playing in HoF mode.

3. siddhartha Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] man i new, and i dont undestand nothing about thath HOF mode, could someone explain to me it???? plzzzzz

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

hof mode refers to heart of fury, insane difficulty mode. under this mode, monsters are extra strong, extra hard to kill, deals extra damage and you are totally hopeless and helpless in pickpocketing.

when you finish the game under normal mode, export your characters (the game will export them upon the moment that you kill the final boos), switch the game difficulty via iwd2 configuration to hof mode (tick the box beside hof) and start a new game with your previous band.

to play hof, you'll need at least (i suppose) 15 level. also, there is no way back playing hof. the game will save a hof mode and you cannot degrade the difficulty of this particular saved game ever.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] HoF = Heart of Fury
    To go into HoF mode you select the IWD 2 Configuration. On the "General" tab you will find a checkbox saying "Heart of Fury mode" in the lower left (below the difficulty levels).

Heart of Fury means the monsters have a lot more HP's and huge boosts to their attack. HoF is basically meant to be played with a party you've already played through the game with in Normal mode. Of course it's possible to start a solo level 1 character in HoF mode and still make it, but it will be quite difficult. ;)

Anyway, the extreme boosts to the monsters mean that you can get thousands of xp for killing a goblin!

Another way of getting more xp is by "squatting". Since xp from monsters is dependant on the average party level you can exploit that by having one or more low level (typically level 1) characters along. They bring down the average level and you keep them away from the battle - they "squat" in a corner. :)

[ November 20, 2002, 23:08: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

6. idarhl Gems: 1/31

Ther is a way to get more xp without the console cheats, but that require a lot of saving and loading.
    For every map you went to, save after you cleared it, then choose to rest, there is a chance that monsters will attack you during your rest and killing these little add on to the xp, well yeah, they eventually amounted to quite a lot.
    The 'rest monsters' will be of the same kind you just fought in the map, so depending on the difficulty, more xp.
    And if no monsters appear, well, you can always reload to before resting and try again. :D
    P.S you can do that for countless times in a single map, but the xp gets lower for the same monsters, so spread it out between the other maps.

7. siddhartha Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] MAAAAAAAAANY thanks , to all . too much help for me.

8. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

My favourite way is level squatting. you let the person that will be MOST usefull to your party level up, and leave the rest on level 1. So if you want your sorcerer to be the one that does all the work and think that he can handle all comers, let him level up, BUT NO ONE ELSE! This will keep your average XP down and you will get more XP for the lesser monsters and quests. Then, all at once, level up.

*Note*
    This can not be done with multi classing. The class you choose will get all the levels.

Cheers.

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yes it works, but requires a lot of babysitting the weaker characters, or just use invisibility. Level squatting is effective, but much more obvious in HOF. PS. don't even bother trying to use HOF if you have not completed the game once, it is a nightmare if you are not in the right frame of mind, using the most effective tactics also...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.